1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image1 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Anyone have a suggestion for a speaker upgrade for 1979 Bally Star Trek?

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

I don't think you're going to get much if anything better with an upgrade. All the sound system provides is some tones and beeps.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I don't think you're going to get much if anything better with an upgrade. All the sound system provides is some tones and beeps.

Tones and beeps are awesome. I have a Williams "Laser Ball" on a subwoofer... Nuff said?

#4 1 year ago

I recommend a "GRS 8FR-8" speaker if you need a new one. It's an 8ohm, 8-inch, full-range round speaker. This is same as a Pioneer B20FU20-51FW speaker. I have one in my Star Trek and it sounds great. You can get it on Amazon. $26.

https://www.amazon.com/GRS-Full-Range-Speaker-Pioneer-B20FU20-51FW/dp/B004CG38J8/

I didn't install it. It was purchased and installed by J-roc when he owned the machine. It sounds great with both the stock sound board as well as my Custom Star Trek Sound board.

https://geeteoh.com/geeteoh/startrek.shtml
image1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpeg

#5 1 year ago

Virtually any new speakers, will make it sound better, and they don’t have to be high dollar.

When I helped a friend years ago, get a project ST up and running, we just put in a new set of speakers that were like $40 for all 3. Those alone made that machine sound great. A $400 speaker upgrade won’t do a massive improvement, you’d get about the same results with some cheaper ones, on this era of machine.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for the replies!

1 week later
#7 1 year ago

Update on what speaker you bought and noticeable improvement?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from SterlingRush:

we just put in a new set of speakers that were like $40 for all 3.

The ops game only has one speaker.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:The ops game only has one speaker.

lol, mixing old memories, for some reason thinking there were back box speakers as well. I do remember replacing the speaker in the cabinet, with something new, just wasn’t high dollar.

There were other speakers purchased at that time, went for other games we were working on, hence my confusion previously.

Don’t remember the brand, it wasn’t any big name, but it did improve the sounds compared to what was in the cab previously. Delivered a louder/cleaner sound, for what little sound effects this title has.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-star-trek-speaker-upgrade?hl=geeteoh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.