• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pinslot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi,
Sorry to come again with a switch problem. This is driving me nuts. I have cleaned and adjusted these switches several times and replaced the capacitors just in case.

They work for about 5 games and then become unreliable. Is it possible that the switch "leaves" have become so worn that as the ball rolls over them they don't spring back?

Should I be thinking of replacing the whole switch mechanism under the playfield or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Regards,

Stefan

#2 5 years ago

If you're talking about the rollover lanes, they shouldn't have capacitors.

How did you clean the switches? These old switch contacts are usually black with oxidation and will not respond to the dollar bill trick or cleaning with alcohol. I use a Dremel with an abrasive buff (like a 3M scotchbrite pad) and give the contact a very short burst at the lowest speed. This should be enough to clean off the oxidation without damaging the gold plating.

You have nothing to lose by trying this. Worst case scenario is you take off some of the plating and the switches become unreliable and need to be replaced, which is exactly what you are facing now.

#3 5 years ago

Are you cleaning with a business card or similar? The gold contacts can be ruined if cleaned with a flexstone as one does with EMs.

#4 5 years ago

Yes, I'm cleaning with a business card. Sorry, I referred to them as roll-under targets. I mean the two rollover stars in the top left-hand side of the playfield.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

Yes, I'm cleaning with a business card. Sorry, I referred to them as roll-under targets. I mean the two rollover stars in the top left-hand side of the playfield.

Thanks for clarifying. Yes the star rollovers will probably have capacitors since the ball travels over them at high speed.

Take a look at the contacts on the switch leaves. If they are black, the business card method is not working, you will need to try something more aggressive. As Jeff said, don't use a file since it will remove the plating, but if you're careful with something like Scotchbrite you can remove the oxidation without damaging the plating.

#6 5 years ago

Okay, I‘ll give that a go. Thx

#7 5 years ago

If this doesn’t help and the switches are so worn from use that the gold flashing has worn out (or they had been cleaned with something too rough) you might try tweaking one or both blades just a tiny bit so the points contact each other at a “fresh” spot.

#8 5 years ago

Just replace the switches or the contacts on the switches. No telling what these switches have gone through in the past 40 years. I just replace all the switches or the contacts as a matter of course these days as it saves a lot of trouble down the road.

#9 5 years ago

I buffed then with a Dremel and they are working quite well for the time-being.

Thanks for your replies.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-star-trek-roll-under-targets-only-score-occasionally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.