(Topic ID: 214945)

Bally Star Trek Restore Color Question Vote Now!

By timab2000

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do I stay with the original paint scheme or change it???”

• Stay with the original 12 votes
    46%
  • Change and go custom 14 votes
    54%

(26 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180430_110211 (resized).jpg
20180430_110205 (resized).jpg
20180419_084840 (resized).jpg
20180420_111019 (resized).jpg
20180414_143707 (resized).jpg
20180420_141654 (resized).jpg
20180420_141758_001 (resized).jpg
20180420_141726 (resized).jpg
20180420_111019 (resized).jpg
20180317_095820 (resized).jpg
20180418_110027 (resized).jpg
20180418_110044 (resized).jpg
20180413_105932 (resized).jpg
20180414_143636 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Ok so I'm working on my Star Trek restoration and am ready to paint the back box.... My question is:

Do I stay with the original paint scheme, or change it up slightly??

My thought is that the back box should be the same base color (yellow) as the cabinet and the stenciling should be in the same colors as the cabinet as well.

I kind of think that the blue main color on the back box just looks like it was an afterthought or something from the factory and does not match well. Seems like most other games the base color are the same and it matches better. Maybe it's just me.

So if I change it, and make it look more like the main cabinet, so they both match better, will that decrease the value of the game? Or does it really matter if the paint job is done really nice, like I have done to the main cabinet. See pictures. So imagine the back box looking like the cabinet

Your thoughts are appreciated, Thanks!!

20180414_143636 (resized).jpg20180414_143636 (resized).jpg
20180413_105932 (resized).jpg20180413_105932 (resized).jpg
20180418_110044 (resized).jpg20180418_110044 (resized).jpg
20180418_110027 (resized).jpg20180418_110027 (resized).jpg

20180317_095820 (resized).jpg20180317_095820 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

1) isn't this your grail pin? Thus not likely to be sold by you any time soon? Do what YOU want!

2) 16K+ of them produced? See item 1

3) I'm no purest, see item 1.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

1) isn't this your grail pin? Thus not likely to be sold by you any time soon? Do what YOU want!
2) 16K+ of them produced? See item 1
3) I'm no purest, see item 1.

I'm really leaning toward changing it to match the cabinet. I think it would look better. Not really sure if you would call it my "grail pin"

#5 6 years ago

I did actually look at the posting, and thought the guy had done a great job, and it's what got me thinking about changing it up a little.

I'm checking with Jeff at "Pinball Pimp" to see if he would just sell the back box stencils in case I don't like it and have to start over.

#6 6 years ago

I kept mine blue for the contrast....

#7 6 years ago

And then what color are the graphics? The yellow on the cab is the yellow in the head graphics.

#8 6 years ago

Of course hindsight is 20/20 but when it comes to a color change I think the move may have been to make the lower cab blue to match the head. Then the yellow and orange stay the same throughout and you pick a trick new color for the (I'm no Star Trek guy so forgive me if I'm wrong) Klingon ship on the lower cab.

#9 6 years ago

Changing the color might take down the value for sure. But if it's juts the way you want to do it and take the hit, and enjoy it.

#10 6 years ago

Ok well........due to the overwhelming amount of votes on my poll, a whopping 13.

(I guest my posts are not as exciting as wondering what the next overpriced Stern game is going to be ) I have made my decision....pictures are below

20180420_111019 (resized).jpg20180420_111019 (resized).jpg

20180420_141726 (resized).jpg20180420_141726 (resized).jpg

20180420_141758_001 (resized).jpg20180420_141758_001 (resized).jpg

20180420_141654 (resized).jpg20180420_141654 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

It's not up and running yet, but will be soon

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I have made my decision....pictures are below

Looks AWESOME!!!
faz

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Ok well........due to the overwhelming amount of votes on my poll, a whopping 13.
(I guest my posts are not as exciting as wondering what the next overpriced Stern game is going to be ) I have made my decision....pictures are below

Looks good to me.
I'm not always a purist with originality.

#14 5 years ago

Matches better than the blue! I think it makes the backglass pop too.

#15 5 years ago

looks good. your game, do what you want. all that matters is if you like it

#16 5 years ago

When I saw your first post ...
my first thought was to go all yellow.

Then I saw the link to the blue one ...
Didn’t turn me on at all. I hoped you weren’t going that direction ...

The all yellow scheme looks so much better, I’m happy you went that way!

Looks better than the Factory colours IMO.

rd

#17 5 years ago

Wasn't the color scheme originally set to match the TV version? Then later Bally changed to BG to the movie version?

#18 5 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. I am really happy with the way it turned out.

I am having some problems getting it going. Not sure what is going on. Won't start a game. All the test on the coin box door work, but the game is not recognizing the credit button for some reason.

It was working and playing before I started the process with a new Alltek MPU, so I talked with Alltek and we did some test while it was on the machine, but still no luck on getting game to start, so I have to send the MPU back and have them look it over to see what is going on.

Hopefully I will have an answer by the end of the week.

#19 5 years ago

The mpu is probably looking for a blue head before boot up hence your problem. Jk. Looks great!

#20 5 years ago

Quoted from Phat_Jay:The mpu is probably looking for a blue head before boot up hence your problem. Jk. Looks great!

I thought about painting the wood trim around the box blue. May still do that at some point maybe that will make it work

#21 5 years ago

I like it!!! I'm thinking to paint up my STAR TREK one of these days. Can I copy you?

#22 5 years ago

I had same problem with my Star Trek. Try repinning j4 plug on mpu it fixed mine.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I like it!!! I'm thinking to paint up my STAR TREK one of these days. Can I copy you?

Yeah I have no problem with you copying the paint scheme. I did have a couple of things that came up, that I did not think about when changing paint colors. I post pics of that soon.

Quoted from Shannyman:

I had same problem with my Star Trek. Try repinning j4 plug on mpu it fixed mine.

I re-pinned a couple of connectors, can't remember which one off the top of my head, (old age). Alltec said there was nothing wrong with the board but is sending a new one, so we'll see if the same thing happens.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Here are the pictures of the poor planning on my part, didn't quite think it all the way thru.

Because I painted the back box yellow instead of blue, the accents on the ship that should have been orange had to be yellow, which the back box was already painted so you can see a paint line from the extra yellow paint. There wasn't really a way to prevent this, short of modifying the stencil, which I did not want to do. And without painting the yellow the ship would not have had some of the accents which made it look kind of weird.

I already had to modify the stencil somewhat due to the fact that I had to paint 3 colors instead of 2. They only give you 2 stencils.

So normally you would have a blue cabinet. Then you paint the yellow with one stencil and then the orange with the second stencil. But I had to paint the 3rd yellow to get the detail in the ship.

So I first painted the box yellow. Then laid down the orange with the first stencil. Then the second stencil for the blue, but only exposed and peeled what I wanted to be blue and left the ship covered. Then when the blue was dried after I peeled the stencil off for just the blue, I covered the blue up and then peeled and exposed the detail stencel for the ship area and painted that yellow. Hope that made since.

It kind of gave the ship a 3D kind of look, which I was not going for, but from a distance you can see it. So I think if I sand it down lightly I may be able to get rid of that. So there you go ...Good luck.

20180414_143707 (resized).jpg20180414_143707 (resized).jpg

20180420_111019 (resized).jpg20180420_111019 (resized).jpg

20180419_084840 (resized).jpg20180419_084840 (resized).jpg

20180430_110205 (resized).jpg20180430_110205 (resized).jpg

20180430_110211 (resized).jpg20180430_110211 (resized).jpg

#25 5 years ago

Well I finally got the game playing!

After sending the Alltec board back and having another one shipped to me, it ended up being a switch matrix problem. I have Dave from Alltec to thank for helping me out. It was not the board but some of the switches under the playfield work not showing up when you do the test off the coin box door.

So I went thru each one to find the problem ones, which were the star rollovers and one out lane switch not showing up in the displays as I closed them.

Turned out that when I did swapped out playfields, I did not tighten up some of the screws enough to get the switches to work quite right. Once I got all of them working right the game started and the credit button worked and started a game.

I have played several games with no issues other that some slight adjustment to gaps in the switches other than that works great.

On to restoring my Flash Gordon..............

#26 5 years ago

I think the Star Trek looks good but technically it's not a "restoration" or "restored" unless it is brought back to 100% original condition. The terminology gets misused with classic cars a lot too.

The term most widely used nowadays for what you have accomplished would be a "resto-mod" or "restification". The machine is refurbished to the point that it is 100% functional but some modifications have been made to suit your own personal taste.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I think the Star Trek looks good but technically it's not a "restoration" or "restored" unless it is brought back to 100% original condition. The terminology gets misused with classic cars a lot too.
The term most widely used nowadays for what you have accomplished would be a "resto-mod" or "restification". The machine is refurbished to the point that it is 100% functional but some modifications have been made to suit your own personal taste.

Thanks for clarifying all that

So with that kind of thinking..... since I use rustoleum rattle cans, which probably were not the correct color that the factory use, but close enough for me. Or a vinyl stencil, probably not what the factory used. Or that I used 47 bulbs and not 44s. Or that I am using a playfield protector made in Germany so the my non factory playfield won't get screwed up cause the factory does not make them anymore. Same with all the playfield plastics aftermarket, why cause the factory does not make them anymore.

Do you catch where I am drifting......I guess there are no 100% restored games, cause I do not think it can be done they way the did it back in the day according to your strict standards

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

So with that kind of thinking..... since I use rustoleum rattle cans, which probably were not the correct color that the factory use, but close enough for me. Or a vinyl stencil, probably not what the factory used. Or that I used 47 bulbs and not 44s. Or that I am using a playfield protector made in Germany so the my non factory playfield won't get screwed up cause the factory does not make them anymore. Same with all the playfield plastics aftermarket, why cause the factory does not make them anymore.
Do you catch where I am drifting......I guess there are no 100% restored games, cause I do not think it can be done they way the did it back in the day according to your strict standards

re·store
rəˈstôr/Submit
verb

repair or renovate (a building, work of art, vehicle, etc.) so as to return it to its original condition.
"the building has been lovingly restored"
synonyms: repair, fix, mend, refurbish, recondition, rehabilitate, rebuild, reconstruct, remodel, overhaul, redevelop, renovate; More

I never thought of it before, that if you use different colors then it isn't considered "restored." In my mind, you have restored the game, since it is NEW PAINT, albeit may not be the same color as original. Similarly, I don't think you need to use NOS plastics, posts, solenoids, etc... to be considered "RESTORED." Anyway, call it what you want, I think it looks great and you did a fantastic job. In fact, the color overlays that you weren't all that happy about, I like the 3D look!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

re·store
rəˈstôr/Submit
verb
repair or renovate (a building, work of art, vehicle, etc.) so as to return it to its original condition.
"the building has been lovingly restored"
synonyms: repair, fix, mend, refurbish, recondition, rehabilitate, rebuild, reconstruct, remodel, overhaul, redevelop, renovate; More
I never thought of it before, that if you use different colors then it isn't considered "restored." In my mind, you have restored the game, since it is NEW PAINT, albeit may not be the same color as original. Similarly, I don't think you need to use NOS plastics, posts, solenoids, etc... to be considered "RESTORED." Anyway, call it what you want, I think it looks great and you did a fantastic job. In fact, the color overlays that you weren't all that happy about, I like the 3D look!

Thanks I am pretty happy with it.

#30 5 years ago

While “restore” might technically mean what they are saying, I agree with the OP that, in that case, there’d be almost no “restored” pinballs. Every machine is changed in some way, to enhance gameplay or make it more reliable.

Using that definition, HEP games are not “restored”. Which seems a bit crazy to me.

Like the silver cabinet Centaur he did. One of the nicest pinballs you’ll ever see. However, not technically correct according to that definition. Is it worth less than a black one? I don’t think so.

rd

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

You can still "restore" a pin or a car or anything else if the goal is to make it as close to original as possible.

In the classic show car competitions the judges take away points for every detail that isn't correct.

Just like restored pinball machines no restored car is ever 100% perfect, although some come pretty-close.

The world of pinball isn't even in the same league as judged concours show car competitions though.

"Restoring" a pinball machine to original condition is easier to do than a car which has far more parts and details to deal with.

If the goal is to modify it (especially aesthetically) then it becomes a customization right off the bat. Different animal but can be just as nice if tastefully done like your pin was.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-star-trek-restore-color-question-vote-now and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.