(Topic ID: 248383)

Bally Star Trek interesting sound problem.

By gdonovan

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190808_174435_resized (resized).jpg
20190802_163135_resized_1 (resized).jpg
20190801_211623_resized (resized).jpg
20190731_182536_resized (resized).jpg
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Good Morning, here is an interesting issue!

I was not going to post till I replaced the caps on the sound board and switches (kits due Thursday) but after poking around last night thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Bally Star Trek- Works fine but the slingshots at the bottom have no sound effects or weak sound effects and sometimes garbled/wrong sound effects.

Pins on MPU, lamp driver board, solenoid board have all been reflowed, ground mods done to solenoid board and it has a new main cap, the sound board has a new main cap and the bridge rectifier board is brand new.

Tried different sound dip switch settings with no change. Now here is the interesting part.

I have sling shot sound effects if I disconnect the slingshot coils or even hold the coils manually with my finger so they can't move in the fully open or fully closed position. The sound effect only goes away when the coils are allowed to move full stroke. Its hard, it doesn't go away totally but you can still hear it faintly. I have looked close at the switches to make sure nothing is being grounded out and everything looks fine.

The MPU is clearly seeing the switches as the slings are firing and there is a "call" for the sound effect, what would cause the sound to drop out or lose 90% of its volume which the coil actuator goes full stroke? Not an issue with any other switch or the pop bumpers.

#2 4 years ago

A couple of things to consider:

Slingshots (and pop bumpers) are "fast react" solenoids. The moment the game senses their switches going closed the respective solenoid gets activated. All other game switches are required to be closed for a certain amount of time before their closure is seen as "valid". This method would cause the slingshot / pop bumper reactions to be slugish.

Now, in order for the MPU to score the slingshot, it needs to see the slingshot switch as closed for the "valid" period of time. Sometimes, the fast reaction of the slingshot solenoid opens the slingshot switch too soon causing the switch to not reach the valid period and so the game won't score/make sound for the slingshot.
While pop bumpers are also fast react solenoids, they have capacitors across their switch which forces switch closures to be seen as active for the "valid" period.
Slingshots in most Ballys on the other hand don't have capacitors on the slingshot switches - it can cause the slingshots to machine gun.

So when you disconnect the slingshot coil and activate the slingshot switch with your finger, you will always be activating the switch for the "valid" period of time and will always clearly hear the 10 point sound effect.

Another thing, the signals used to select momentary solenoids and sounds are the same. A momentary solenoid and a sound effect cannot actively occur at the same time. In this case the slingshot gets activated first, when it's then released the sound then plays. It happens so quickly that you don't perceive them happening sequentially.
Also the 10 point sound effect on this game doesn't have a lot of definition and the slingshot solenoid drowns it out a little.

Ultimately what you are seeing is a byproduct of the design. Learn to live with it, or try putting a capacitor on the slingshot switches and hope you don't get any adverse side effects with machine gunning.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Ultimately what you are seeing is a byproduct of the design.

Other Bally Star Trek games they work, I can hear them in videos off Youtube. The machine scores off the switches as well with no problem.

When this happens you can hear the sound effect play but the volume is reduced by 90% and even then not all the time. 1 shot in 10 will sound normal. I noticed this last night when I had the playfield up for testing. Faint, but you can hear it.

The slings are working so therefore the MPU is seeing the switches as the MPU is firing the coils and increasing the score.

It only happens when the coils are allowed to go full stroke. Holding the coils in and the sound effect works perfect even with a quick ball strike. I'll do a video later if you like.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'll do a video later if you like.

Yes, we need to see what you're talking about. Have the sound recorder setup near where you'd be listening so the result isn't skewed.

#5 4 years ago

Very odd.

Tonight I removed the LED lamps behind the slingshots and the problem is virtually gone. Most strange.

#6 4 years ago

My Bally Star Trek also has quiet or no sound effects when the slingshots are activated. All other events trigger the correct sound

#7 4 years ago

Has the sound board been fully recapped?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

The large 100uf one has been replaced, the others will be done when the kit comes in from Great Plains on Thursday.

#9 4 years ago

Also changing out the other 2 caps on the solenoid board, the 160uf 250V one is almost impossible to find in stock, ordered a radial 150uf 350v instead.

I'll make it work.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The large 100uf one has been replaced, the others will be done when the kit comes in from Great Plains on Thursday.

Hey! Status update shows kit parts arriving today, I know what I'm doing tonight!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Board has been recapped now, interesting results.

1) So the first thing I did was replace all the missing switch caps under the playfield, this seemed to make little difference in sound issue. Much nicer to play now that it picks up the quick ball strikes!

2) Second thing done was to "unbolt" sound board from back cabinet. This made speaker hum at idle go away, much more pleasant.

3) Third thing done was to re-cap sound card. This seemed to have some effect. Reverb seemed better. Still at least a 1/4 of the time no sound effect was noted and sometime "garbage" or the wrong sound effect would occur.

4) Tried adding cap to slingshot switch on left side and played. No shot gunning. Added one to right side, also no shot gunning.

At this point the slingshot sound problem seems to be 99% gone with the only remaining issue being occasional "garbage" sound being played randomly as the ball strikes targets around the playfield. Not even sure how I could diagnose that. Sound card is recapped, connectors are good, solenoid board has new main cap and minor caps will be changed out in a few days. MPU sending mixed commands to sound board? No idea.

EDIT: I did try checking gaps on switches and rapping on the playfield to see if gaps were too close and vibration was causing a switch to trigger causing the random sound effect when slings/pops were activated, nothing noted.

20190731_182536_resized (resized).jpg20190731_182536_resized (resized).jpg

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Board has been recapped now, interesting results.
1) So the first thing I did was replace all the missing switch caps under the playfield, this seemed to make little difference in sound issue. Much nicer to play now that it picks up the quick ball strikes!
2) Second thing done was to "unbolt" sound board from back cabinet. This made speaker hum at idle go away, much more pleasant.
3) Third thing done was to re-cap sound card. This seemed to have some effect. Reverb seemed better. Still at least a 1/4 of the time no sound effect was noted and sometime "garbage" or the wrong sound effect would occur.
4) Tried adding cap to slingshot switch on left side and played. No shot gunning. Added one to right side, also no shot gunning.
At this point the slingshot sound problem seems to be 99% gone with the only remaining issue being occasional "garbage" sound being played randomly as the ball strikes targets around the playfield. Not even sure how I could diagnose that. Sound card is recapped, connectors are good, solenoid board has new main cap and minor caps will be changed out in a few days. MPU sending mixed commands to sound board? No idea.
EDIT: I did try checking gaps on switches and rapping on the playfield to see if gaps were too close and vibration was causing a switch to trigger causing the random sound effect when slings/pops were activated, nothing noted.
[quoted image]

If a new sound call interrupts one already in progress you will get an odd noise at times. I notice it the most in 729-51 ROM games like Dolly Parton. So it may be normal operation

For #2 If backing the board off the backbox mounting cleans up noise there probably is a ground issue at the connector or the backbox mounting. T he sound boards have the 43v ground return isolated. Make sure the connectors are good at the sound board and top right plug on driver board where the returns go back to.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

If a new sound call interrupts one already in progress you will get an odd noise at times. I notice it the most in 729-51 ROM games like Dolly Parton. So it may be normal operation

I did notice that once the ball was slipping down the "A" roll over lane at the top and made the wrong tone. It did it somewhere else too but can't recall where. Need to record some plays and see if I can catch.

Quoted from barakandl:

For #2 If backing the board off the backbox mounting cleans up noise there probably is a ground issue at the connector or the backbox mounting. T he sound boards have the 43v ground return isolated. Make sure the connectors are good at the sound board and top right plug on driver board where the returns go back to.

ok, I'll double check. Most of the connectors have been gone over and anything that looked off re-pinned and reflowed. Hell, everything was reflowed just because.

EDIT: Another sound quirk- The power on "tune" has normal volume but the credit up tune is very quiet. Try and make video tonight.

#14 4 years ago

Here is a video of gameplay; you can hear me credit up the machine a few times in the beginning, it is very soft compared to the other sound effects. Is this normal?

The "mixed up" sound happened once or twice while playing, seemed to happen this time while the ball was in the pop bumpers so hard to pick out. I'll try again this weekend to see if I can get a better example. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: yes the 2x insert is flickering, I was trying a LED there to see how bad it would be, pretty bad!

#15 4 years ago

I'll download a video of mine so you can hear what mine sounds like maybe it helps soon as I get the video downloaded I'll post it

Your game sounds exactly like my lost world for some reason are you sure you got the right soundboard in there..

Here is mine:

#16 4 years ago

It’s the same sound board for both games

#17 4 years ago

Take a close look at the header pins on the soundboard(pins 1-4). Any cracked solder joints?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

It’s the same sound board for both games

Boards maybe the same, but sure doesn't sound the same

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Take a close look at the header pins on the soundboard(pins 1-4). Any cracked solder joints?

All pins were reflowed with fresh solder.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

There is four possible dip switch settings for sound (positions 8 and 32) mine are set different than yours.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Quoted from timab2000:

The board only does what the MPU tells it to do.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

There is four possible dip switch settings (positions 8 and 32) min are set different than yours.

No worries...good luck.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

No worries...good luck.

I have attached the information from the Bally Star Trek manual.

What are yours set at in positions 8 and 32?

20190801_211623_resized (resized).jpg20190801_211623_resized (resized).jpg
#24 4 years ago

The fluctuating volume on the credit up tune is an issue in the sustain area of the sound board. You're not getting any sustain on the notes in the melodies. Sweet spot for the sustain pot is usually to set it between 11 and 12 o' clock on the dial.

timab2000 has both dip switch 8 and 32 set to off which is just basic tones. Setting them both on has the more interesting sound effects.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The fluctuating volume on the credit up tune is an issue in the sustain area of the sound board. You're not getting any sustain on the notes in the melodies. Sweet spot for the sustain pot is usually to set it between 11 and 12 o' clock on the dial.
timab2000 has both dip switch 8 and 32 set to off which is just basic tones. Setting them both on has the more interesting sound effects.

I have the sustain pot set at around 12 o'clock, the other tunes have strong volume. Just the credit up tune sounds like it fades in and out.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have the sustain pot set at around 12 o'clock

Was it already at 12 o clock?
The game over tune that's played in sound test mode also uses the sustain circuit. Go to sound test mode and adjust that pot to see if it makes any difference to sustain. At full sustain, the tones should almost never fade out.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Was it already at 12 o clock?
The game over tune that's played in sound test mode also uses the sustain circuit. Go to sound test mode and adjust that pot to see if it makes any difference to sustain. At full sustain, the tones should almost never fade out.

Yes, already at 12:00, if not a touch more.

I'll do another video showing position and various switch effects after work.

#28 4 years ago

Interesting maybe.

1) Sound board is AS-2518-32 as the manual states it should be.

2) Sustain is roughly set at 1:00, any less, like say noon position and the tones are so soft you almost can't here them. Any more than 1 o'clock and the tones continue to play after being triggered.

3) I have attached short video- I start the machine at 12 o'clock position and you can here how quiet tones are (all but silent) but effects are very normal volume. Half way into video I start adjusting sustain so you can here tones again. I then restart machine so you can hear start up "bloop" and start tone, credit tone and game start tone. Credit tone a do a few times as it "fades" in and out. I then drain ball so you can hear ending tones.

4) I replaced the last caps on solenoid board, no difference.

5) Started installing 1k resistors to sockets, most excellent to run LED! Thing has already gobbled a half dozen 47's, I swear the new ones are all junk that have a lifespan of minutes at best.
20190802_163135_resized_1 (resized).jpg20190802_163135_resized_1 (resized).jpg

#29 4 years ago

Good Morning all- Found the Bally repair manual this morning and going to do some voltage reads and other tests today. I'm thinking while reading the problem is going to be related to the sustain circuit of the sound board and not with the MPU. The MPU is clearly triggering the sound board and it is playing the correct tones. If I get the chance, I'll post another video.

#30 4 years ago

Very interesting, more clues!

Voltages are as follows

TP1 5.13 (5V expected)
TP3 11.66 (12v expected)
TP4 42.8 (43v expected)

Looks decent with the 12V being a touch low.

What I found curious this morning- I set the sound to off/off on dip switches S8 and S32 of the MPU so it is in chime mode which is not to my taste.

If something is "a noise" like credit up or add player button, the volume is good and strong. If I trigger a chime like the far right outlane rollover it is very, very quiet. However if I tap the switch several times rapidly, it ascends in volume pretty quick till it is at the same level as "noise".

The same "chime" is used for the outhole. If I drain a ball the first two of the countdown of bonus is quiet and then rapidly goes to normal volume.

So what is the difference between the two when the sound board is processing each event?

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

So what is the difference between the two when the sound board is processing each event?

The sustain circuit!

Sustain is not called into effect when the game plays "noises".
When the game plays chimes and melodies then the sustain circuit comes into play to give the tones a soft fadeout.

Was this an issue before you changed the caps on the sound board?

#32 4 years ago

When you replaced the caps make sure C6 was the right value. Otherwise I'd think U7 or U8.

Check page 71 of the 560-3 repair book. "Chime sound is absent or decays abnormally. Sustain adjust RT2 does not function properly".

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Sustain is not called into effect when the game plays "noises".
When the game plays chimes and melodies then the sustain circuit comes into play to give the tones a soft fadeout.

Sorry, let me be more clear on this. "Noise" effects are made up of lots of tones. Eg, the 10 point noise is made up of eight different tones that make up the complex sound effect and they end with a silent (inaudible) tone to immediately end the noise effect.

Chimes on the other hand are just a single tone that requires the sustain circuit to fade it out.
The schematic shows what the output of the U7 555 timer should do when sounds are activated, it should pulse high at 11 volts for about 5ms. Downstream the pulse charges capacitor C6 via resistor R7 and it should gradually curve out after the U7 output pulse occurs to voltage control the level of the playing tone.

Follow the repair guide barakandl mentioned.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Was this an issue before you changed the caps on the sound board?

Had the same issue before changing caps.

Going to take a break for a few days. Shorted out a lamp socket and popped corresponding transistor. Changed that and got light back but suddenly sound stopped working. Sound board voltages good. Turning sustain knob high gets you "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" out speaker but nothing else.

Time for a nap.

#35 4 years ago

Ok after nap feeling slightly better.

Power supply check- TP 1 & 3, good
Frequency Generator check .9 volts, good
Audio amp test tap pin 2 at U9, good 2 volts and ticking noise heard.

Tone trigger generator test- with jumper from 5V to U2, pin 5 nothing is heard when a slingshot or bumper is actuated. Sound card still has no sound output.

Voltage controlled attenuator test- short between pin 1 and 2 of U8, hit switch, still no sound.

Checking pin 1-4 on the connector 5.0 volts is present. If you trigger a playfied switch it rapidly drops and then returns to 5.0v

Turning the suspend up till you get a hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (3 o'clock) you can faintly hear signals/tones when the playfield switches are activated.

I'm going to ASSUME this means the MPU is signalling as it should and something has failed on the sound card?

I feel a little better if that is the case.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

When you replaced the caps make sure C6 was the right value.

It is 2.2uf 50 volt, factory is 2uf 25v I think.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

When you replaced the caps make sure C6 was the right value. Otherwise I'd think U7 or U8.
Check page 71 of the 560-3 repair book. "Chime sound is absent or decays abnormally. Sustain adjust RT2 does not function properly".

Thank you and Quench for your help but I'm at the point where it is best if I replace the board with one of yours as it looks like I'm dealing with two sound related problems now. Working with the manual this morning in regards to no sound I'm at the point where it states "check U2 if x happens replace U2 and if that doesn't fix it replace Ux" when chasing down the problem.

If I'm going to start throwing random parts at it I just assume buy one of your excellent new boards. Perhaps when I have more time and a bit more experience with solid state machines I'll come back and revisit the board and see if I can fix it for my own education.

#38 4 years ago

What test equipment have you got? Logic Probe, Oscilloscope, etc.

When you ground the top leg of resistor R16 (which is just below U8) do you get any scratchy/buzzing sound from the speaker? That will help indicate if U9 741 op-amp is working.

You getting 2.5V on pin 4 of U1 (master frequency source)?
Logic probe indicating activity on pin 12 of U4, how about pin 9 and pin 11 of U11?

What voltage do you measure at pin 3 of U7? Does it change when you activate sounds?

Presume you've carefully checked the back side of the board for cracked solder joints?

You could try swapping U1 and U8 with each other since they're the same chip and see if the behavior changes.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

When you ground the top leg of resistor R16 (which is just below U8) do you get any scratchy/buzzing sound from the speaker? That will help indicate if U9 741 op-amp is working.
Logic probe indicating activity on pin 12 of U4, how about pin 9 and pin 11 of U11?
What voltage do you measure at pin 3 of U7? Does it change when you activate sounds?
Presume you've carefully checked the back side of the board for cracked solder joints?
You could try swapping U1 and U8 with each other since they're the same chip and see if the behavior changes.

1) I have a logic probe which I used to make sure 1-4 on the connector were getting high/low signals when a playfield switch was set.

2) Amp is working, speaker good.

3) I did check one of the U chips for 2.5 volts on a leg, can't recall which one as I'm at work and not at my notes

4) Solder joints are all good.

New board was ordered yesterday, I'll revisit the old board when I have more free time. Thank you very, very much for your assistance. I need to learn more of the theory of operation so I can troubleshoot better but time is running out this summer season and many other projects aside from pinball to work on before the good weather ends.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If you are inclined and have the time send me a list of tests you wish me to do, I have a few minutes free tonight as the webbing is drying fully on my other project. I cannot swap chips at this time but can do voltage readings and use logic probe to check activity.

Oh and of great annoyance- I was going to check all resistors and diodes on board the other day and manual does NOT list correct values. Board is clearly original and several values do not match what is published in factory manual.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If you are inclined and have the time send me a list of tests you wish me to do, I have a few minutes free tonight as the webbing is drying fully on my other project. I cannot swap chips at this time but can do voltage readings and use logic probe to check activity.
Oh and of great annoyance- I was going to check all resistors and diodes on board the other day and manual does NOT list correct values. Board is clearly original and several values do not match what is published in factory manual.

There are some problems with the -32 schematic and/or part list. I once got burned by a wrong resistor and/or cap marking and it took me a while to figure it out. I can't remember exactly what... but i think a 27K and 15K resistor is marked wrong value on the component listing. The -50 schematic like in the dolly book is better. It just has some extra jumpers and parts around the 741 chip but it can mostly be used on the older -32 boards.

The first -51 sound board lists and schematics have problems too in the silverball mania and future spa books. I think they fixed it after those.

Oliver made a good write up about fixing these sound boards too.
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundold.html

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Turning the suspend up till you get a hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (3 o'clock) you can faintly hear signals/tones when the playfield switches are activated.

When you do this, do those faint signals/tones sound correct (but just lack volume)? If yes, it tells you the tone generation/selection circuits are working to the point of the outputs at U11 pins 9 and 11.

Quoted from Quench:

When you ground the top leg of resistor R16 (which is just below U8) do you get any scratchy/buzzing sound from the speaker?

Quoted from gdonovan:

2) Amp is working, speaker good.

What did you get on this test of grounding the top leg of R16 (which goes to the LM741 op-amp input)? I get a clear buzzing sound from the speaker on my machine.

Go through Olivers link that @Barakandl mentioned. If it doesn't reveal anything then take the following voltage measurements and report back.

Set dip switches 8 and 32 to OFF on the MPU board so that point scores are chime sounds. Restart the machine so the new settings take effect.
Put the sustain pot back at 12 o' clock.
Measure the voltage at pin 3 of U8
Measure the voltage on the banded side of diode CR1
While still measuring the voltage on the banded side of diode CR1, activate a 10 point score and take note of the peak and stable voltage levels and also roughly how long it takes to go from peak to stable.

BTW the volume control on the board is working properly? i.e. it isn't affected by dust/dirt causing it to open circuit?

#43 4 years ago

I think this pin is going to be the death of me.

Good news- Sound board came in promptly and works great! All sound related issues are gone.

Bad news- Think I lost a Motorola MC14514B U4 IC on the lamp driver board.

Since the sound was functioning I went back to installing 470 ohm resistors on the lamp sockets to run a few LED bulbs. I'd install 2, check the machine and proceed further. What I failed to notice after installing one was the resistor was sticking out and caught a side rail and was bent over into the lamp power.

So when I dropped the playfield and powered up the machine it was locked on (in this case middle lane, outer, transistor Q60) whoops.

I fixed the bent resistor and replaced the transistor at Q60 and now the lamp doesn't illuminate at all. New Q60 transistor was moved to a different location (Q37) and works fine and the transistor that was at Q37 does nothing at the Q60 location. The resistor for Q60 is fine and I can make the light flash by grounding the pin at the header.

Did I just lose the U4 latching decoder IC? I'm having the worst luck.

#44 4 years ago

Try to manually switch on the Q60 SCR. The method to do so is to hook up a jumper lead to test point TP3 on the lamp driver board, and touch the other end of the jumper lead on the gate leg of the SCR which in this instance being a 2N5060 is the middle upper leg of Q60. Does the left middle outer lane lamp illuminate?

BTW, the Q60 SCR on the lamp driver board hooks up to the 4514 at U4, not U3.

Since you have a logic probe, hook it up, get the game into the state where that lamp should be on and probe pin 6 of U4 which drives Q60. Do you see any activity on the logic probe or does it just indicate low?

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Try to manually switch on the Q60 SCR. The method to do so is to hook up a jumper lead to test point TP3 on the lamp driver board, and touch the other end of the jumper lead on the gate leg of the SCR which in this instance being a 2N5060 is the middle upper leg of Q60. Does the left middle outer lane lamp illuminate?
BTW, the Q60 SCR on the lamp driver board hooks up to the 4514 at U4, not U3.
Since you have a logic probe, hook it up, get the game into the state where that lamp should be on and probe pin 6 of U4 which drives Q60. Do you see any activity on the logic probe or does it just indicate low?

1) Thank you on U3/U4, was tired when I was entering info last night. You are correct and I have amended the post.

2) Will try tonight and let you know.

3) I tried comparing activity between Q37 (inner lane) with Q60 (outer lane) both at the transistors, resistors and latch chips. I'm thinking it is how the Bally mpu and driver board activates them I'm seeing odd signals. I get a very fast buzzing from both when tested, it is not a clean high/low indication.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I tried comparing activity between Q37 (inner lane) with Q60 (outer lane) both at the transistors, resistors and latch chips. I'm thinking it is how the Bally mpu and driver board activates them I'm seeing odd signals. I get a very fast buzzing from both when tested, it is not a clean high/low indication.

When the lamp is not supposed to be illuminated, you should just be seeing a low state with your logic probe on the output pin of the 4514 for that lamp.
So for example if you start a new game, the bonus 4k lamp should be off. If you probe pin 11 of U4 which drives the 4k bonus lamp what do the indicator LEDs on your logic probe show? When the respective playfield lamp is off, the logic probe should just indicate low, when the respective lamp is on, the logic probe should be showing activity as the 4514 output pin briefly pulses high 120 times per second.

Note because of the way the lamp circuit in these Ballys is designed, when a lamp is illuminated, it's actually switching on and off 120 times per second - too fast for your eyes to perceive it. i.e. the lamps don't get a steady constant power source like you'd imagine happens with a battery powered torch when you switch it on.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Ultimately what you are seeing is a byproduct of the design. Learn to live with it, or try putting a capacitor on the slingshot switches and hope you don't get any adverse side effects with machine gunning.

So in other words you recommend that he give up and "learn to live with it"?

I wouldn't give up until I found the real problem.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

It could be an artifact of the design in all fairness, the early solid state stuff was/is pretty crude in some respects.

On the other hand (which is my position) if the switch does actually trigger a noise, therefore the player should be able to hear it during play. All works as it should now so all is well.

I think people give Bally Star Trek a bad rap for nothing more than the sound which could certainly be better. Hard for people to imagine what things were like then though, we have the benefit of hindsight and modern stuff has spoiled us. I use the analogy of 80's PC's that could barely play games like Quake at reasonable framerates and 3dfx burst onto the scene and doubled the framerate, resolution and color depth overnight.

The game is actually pretty fast and fun once you start working a play strategy. Getting the upper orbit shot to build an extra ball bonus and get back into the saucer area to try and build BALLY not as easy as it looks. Once it is full touched up, mylar'd and waxed should be a pretty fun game.

It really does benefit from LED lighting too.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

No, if I jump Q60 it does not illuminate.

I know that I'm doing it correct as if I jump Q37 the other lane lamp illuminates.

Grounding pin 3 at the header causes the Q60 lane lamp to light and the transistor now at Q60 was taken from Q37. The new transistor I installed once already at Q60 was removed to Q37 and works perfect there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 10.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 22.50
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-star-trek-interesting-sound-problem?hl=pinslot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.