View topic image gallery

20200410_142135 (resized).jpg
magnify_2020-04-10_08-18-43 (resized).jpg
magnify_2020-04-10_08-18-23 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello,

I am linking this post

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-voltage-fuse-blows-on-boot-up

because I have a very similar (exact) problem that I am afraid has at least 3 of the displays shorted at this point....possibly all 5.

I have a new to me Bally Star Trek that I have never seen working. I now have everything working except the displays. Game plays, all switches and coils work etc... but when I power on with the display there is a short (it appears) around R1 R3 R5 and C2. I have checked everything I can think of and it just doesn't make sense why these are shorted. Resisters all check out, even checked the transistors, the Zener diode and the capacitor...and still nothing. 170VDC and the +5VDC are good and solid.

Can displays just short out? Is it in the glass? These do not appear to be burnt or have other signs of tampering. I have reflowed the connector pins but the three displays I spoke of definitely short when the game is on and burn out the 3/16 fuse on the Solenoid board.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

#2 4 years ago

That section of the driver board when it fails, takes many components out at once. Just rebuild it and you should be up and running again.

#3 4 years ago

Sorry, more information. I rebuilt the solenoid driver board and all the voltages check.

I was able to install an old display and it worked fine but still not sure about the ones that came with the game.

Thanks

#4 4 years ago

Post some pics of the circuit boards on the displays you're having trouble with. Maybe we can spot some of the problems visually. Any burned up resistors, transistors or other components?

#5 4 years ago

Sorry, maybe this is the wrong place to ask this or maybe its a really unique situation.

Nothing is burnt or shorted that I can see or test. The area that sparks when power is on is around R1 R3 R5 and C2 on the AS-2518-21 Bally Display board.

I have ordered more AGX 3/16A fuses to go through another round of "plug it in and watch the fun" tests, as these always blow the solenoid driver fuse.

Everything looks great on these displays including the board and the glass.

Thank you.

magnify_2020-04-10_08-18-23 (resized).jpgmagnify_2020-04-10_08-18-23 (resized).jpgmagnify_2020-04-10_08-18-43 (resized).jpgmagnify_2020-04-10_08-18-43 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

No worries, you're in the right place!

Could you take a couple pics of the back side of the board too?

Have you tried measuring the resistance on R1,3, and 5? They should measure around 100k ohms.

Also put your meter on diode test and test the zener diode at VR1. Try with red on one side and black on the other, then swap leads. You should get a reading around 0.640 one way and OL the other.

#7 4 years ago

Okay today's update. I have a video of this but the site won't let me post a video. You will see the picture below of the resistor that blew out the side.

Before all of this I replaced the capacitor at C2, the six resistors at R1, R3, R5, R7, R9, and R11 w/ 100K ohm resistors. I replaced the zener diode at VR1 and checked for possible continuity issues throughout my work. The resistor that blew out is R48.

Any ideas? Too much voltage through this? Everything checks from the solenoid driver board. This is definitely a display board issue as I have one old display that works.

20200410_142135 (resized).jpg20200410_142135 (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

No worries, you're in the right place!
Could you take a couple pics of the back side of the board too?
Have you tried measuring the resistance on R1,3, and 5? They should measure around 100k ohms.
Also put your meter on diode test and test the zener diode at VR1. Try with red on one side and black on the other, then swap leads. You should get a reading around 0.640 one way and OL the other.

Thank you. Yes I tested the Resistors and they checked. I also checked the Zener Diode and it checked fine. Sorry I didn't see this post before I posted todays info above.

Dan

#9 4 years ago

Is there any evidence of previous work done to the displays? If so, carefully inspect for any shorts to ground or adjacent solder pads. I had one 100k resistor shorted to ground by accident when doing my repairs, it's easy to make a small mistake like that, can which can sometimes lead you further in the wrong direction.

When i went through 5 6-digit displays recently, i checked all the components on each display with my meter. All the transistors with diode test, all the resistors with ohms test. It's tedious, but it helped me get all 5 of my displays working recently. You may find your culprit that way if there's no other suggestions here. Not sure what else to suggest, except that the high voltage (~190vdc) goes through the digit driver section including Q8-Q12 and their associated resistors and level shifter transistors, so I'd start looking around there first. Replace anything out of spec or bad and hopefully you'll arrive at the solution. Good luck!

#10 4 years ago

No previous work apparent. I went through the board component by component. It's really got me stumped.

Here is the video I shot:

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

1,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-star-trek-displays-shorted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.