Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pins4u
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5D7C9329-B274-42AB-B3F6-D90DE305D3E1 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

#StrikesandSpares

The good: Boots up (7 flashes on MPU), takes credits, starts game, scores fine, lights work in both attract mode and during game play.

The not so good: The only solenoids that work are the flippers, no kickers, no out hole, no chimes, etc.

I replaced the 11,000uf cap and a missing TIP102 transistor on the driver board and used a test lead to check each transistor to ground. All 4 chimes fire as does the coin lock and the relay on the driver board, but nothing else. Is it possible that 13 of the 19 TIP102 transistors are bad?

Also I have an Alltek Ultimate Solenoid Driver Board that I popped in and it won’t even boot with it in, I just get a solid LED on the MPU

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

5D7C9329-B274-42AB-B3F6-D90DE305D3E1 (resized).jpeg5D7C9329-B274-42AB-B3F6-D90DE305D3E1 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Maybe a stupid question : have you checked the fuses ?

#3 3 years ago

Check the fuse under the playfield first.

#4 3 years ago

So sure enough 2A under playfield fuse was blown, I replaced then manually tested each solenoid (from transistor to ground) and they all fire!

Problem is on boot and on game start the out hole and saucer solenoids fire a bunch of times erratically, flippers are live all of the time, but no other solenoids work. Also closing any playfield switch causes only these two solenoids to fire.

#5 3 years ago

If you remove the ball from the game and put it into switch test, do any numbers come up on the displays? It should show a zero (indicating no switches are closed).

#6 3 years ago

Switch test displays zero, and all switch numbers display properly when activated.

Solenoid test: As it auto walks through them, out hole fires on 1, 5 and 7; and saucer fires on 2, 3, 4 and 6 but no other solenoids fire as display counts up.

#7 3 years ago

Hmm, weird problem. Have you had this game for a while or did you pick it up recently?

I would try reseating connector J4 on the MPU and J4 on the solenoid driver board. Does this game have original boards or aftermarket?

#8 3 years ago

Check the connectors (J4 on mpu and J3 on Solenoid driver board) a bad ground can cause the solenoids not to fire and the ground loops back in J3 and it is common to have bad pins in that connector.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Check the connectors (J4 on mpu and J3 on Solenoid driver board) a bad ground can cause the solenoids not to fire and the ground loops back in J3 and it is common to have bad pins in that connector.

Also have seen the Altek SDB not give out enough 5v to boot the mpu as a result of a bad J3 connector.

#10 3 years ago

Do yourself a favor & just re-pin ALL of the board connectors. Solid advice I got from Clay H years ago

2 months later
    #11 2 years ago

New issue with this S&S, game plays great with new power, driver and MPU boards, but about every 3 or 4 games the 100’s just starts scoring and I have to power down to get it to stop.

While it was happening I disconnected J3 plug on the MPU which stopped it, eliminating that as the problem.

I don’t think it’s a stuck p/f switch because it plays fine sometimes. I think it may be a bad disc capacitor on a switch. I have new replacements, is there any easy way to test them while in the game with my multimeter?

#12 2 years ago

You won't be able to test caps with a multimeter unless they are shorted - unlikely in this case. They only cost pennies each, I would grab a handful and replace them all.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-ss-solenoids-dead-help?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.