Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20201215_012517875 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201215_012525725 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201215_011147117 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201215_011136583 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I am going through the parts on my machine and cleaning/repairing them as I re-install after painting my cabinet. On the Power Module, I notice one of the fuse sockets was scorched, and the trace that was blowed up was kind of hacked together on the back. It was working fine before I pulled it out of the cabinet, so it seems to have done the trick, but is this safe to leave like that? I'm not sure how to make it a nicer fix, but am definitely open to suggestions.
PXL_20201215_011136583 (resized).jpgPXL_20201215_011136583 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201215_011147117 (resized).jpgPXL_20201215_011147117 (resized).jpg
Full looks at the front and back...
PXL_20201215_012525725 (resized).jpgPXL_20201215_012525725 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201215_012517875 (resized).jpgPXL_20201215_012517875 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

I think you’re looking at the result of a bad fuse clip and possible over fusing in that board’s past.

While it’s working now, you’re putting virtually all the current through only part of that fuse clip. If you want to make it better, I would suggest replacing that clip and using stitch wire through the holes for the clip. You’re wanting to split the amount of current equally to each of the prongs of the fuse clip.

It looks like there was overheating on the other clip - I would replace it at the same time. You can get the fuse clips from GPE.

Another school of thought is if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

#3 3 years ago

I would order a new power module. I had to get one for my Xenon is was around $80.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

I would order a new power module.

A replacement was my first thought, but thought I'd explore and see how feasible it is to repair. Probably just end up buying one Then I can try and repair it anyway and if it comes out clean I have a backup!

Quoted from Billc479:

I think you’re looking at the result of a bad fuse clip and possible over fusing in that board’s past.

Appreciate the insight. I will be trying to repair as you noted.

#5 3 years ago

pyrotech Which replacement power module did you get for your Xenon?

#6 3 years ago

It seems to me I thought I saw a reproduction board which had split the GI circuit into TWO 10 amp fuses instead of the one 20 amp fuse.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

pyrotech Which replacement power module did you get for your Xenon?

New Power Supply Rectifier Module Board - Bally Part AS-2518-54 This the number that I ordered. It was $80 off ebay. Gulf shore pinball is stamped on it.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

It seems to me I thought I saw a reproduction board which had split the GI circuit into TWO 10 amp fuses instead of the one 20 amp fuse.

Late models of the -54 rectifier from bally even did this and for sure a better implementation. One fuse for the head (and cab?) the other fuse for the PF.

The high current BC fuses for whatever reason tarnish and corrode faster than whatever metal the low current ones are. Eventually enough resistance and this can happen. Your F1 fuse holder looks rough too.

You could try and rebuild that trace some how with foil but may also need to reinforce the PCB material as inserting and pulling a fuse takes some force which might rip out an adhesive pcb foil replacement type stuff.

#9 3 years ago

barakandl Your web shop was my first stop...but I didn't see a -54 there Good to know about the split fuses, I'll look for that in the replacement I'm after.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

barakandl Your web shop was my first stop...but I didn't see a -54 there Good to know about the split fuses, I'll look for that in the replacement I'm after.

I have a working prototype in my black pyramid but i am in over my head right now. Too many products (already out of stock) and not enough time. Working on automating some assembly steps so I can increase supply and finish lingering products like the -54 rectifier power supply board.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I have a working prototype in my black pyramid but i am in over my head right now.

Excellent news! No worries at all, I imagine it's a lot to keep up with. Not sure if there's any way I can help out, but let me know if so. I run a small e-commerce site and while we don't have pinball products, maybe we can help with fulfillment or something else. Who knows. I have one of your MPUs and it's been great. Looking forward to an eventual -54.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Excellent news! No worries at all, I imagine it's a lot to keep up with. Not sure if there's any way I can help out, but let me know if so. I run a small e-commerce site and while we don't have pinball products, maybe we can help with fulfillment or something else. Who knows. I have one of your MPUs and it's been great. Looking forward to an eventual -54.

My issues are with production and supply. Since I can't even keep up with people that want to buy direct there is no point in sharing profits using a distributor model. If my issue was with selling the item, then it would make sense. thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-ss-power-module-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.