(Topic ID: 156233)

Bally SS: playfield fuse occasionally blows at boot?

By jay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jay
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Got a Paragon that's occasionally blowing the solenoid fuse under the playfield, but only during the bootup onrush and not with regularity. It seems to happen one every 5-6 boots. Nothing obvious stands out, no broken diode connections and when the game boots, the coils stay cool and work fine, and none have signs of heat damage. I can watch the fuse during bootup and see it deform slightly right before it either blows or doesn't blow so the onrush seems to be right at the tolerance of the 1A fuse. It's got an Alltek driver board that works fine FWIW. The problem persists with another Alltek board as well. Outside of looking at all the diodes by desoldering them one by one, any thoughts? Game works fine once booted up and continues to work fine for as long as I've been able to leave it on and play.

#3 8 years ago

1A Slow blow for sure.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Usually when you power up, the drop targets are reset and saucers are ejected.
So it's probably one/combination of those.
Someone hasn't replaced a saucer coil with a slingshot coil by any chance? Slingshot coils draw more current.
If you have a multimeter, according to Marcos replacement coils the drop target coils should measure about 22 ohms and the saucer coils should measure around 14.3 ohms.

I'll double check the saucers and sling coil numbers to see if anything is awry and try cleaning or replacing the fuse holder and see if that helps. It didn't seem worn but it's easy enough to try.

#8 8 years ago

Is the coin lockout solenoid fused on that line? According to the LEDs on the Alltek driver board, it's the only controlled solenoid that still has power when that fuse blows.

#11 8 years ago

I think it's the latter, but I'll have to double check. The game is on location at an arcade so unfortunately I won't be able to look it over again until this coming week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
$ 10.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-ss-playfield-fuse-occasionally-blows-at-boot?tu=jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.