(Topic ID: 251177)

Bally SS: Elektra Lower PF G.I. Issue (Triac? Flasher Assembly?))

By Wwe3rd

9 days ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by BigAl56
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2019-08-21 00.56.03 (resized).jpg

#1 9 days ago

I have a Bally Elektra that is 99%. The only issue since getting her running is the lower playfield G.I. When the ball drains and you have enough Elektra units the game will go into bonus mode. At that point the upper playfield G.I. switches off and the lower playfield G.I. switches on. The upper playfield G.I. turns off in mode but the lower playfield G.I. is intermittent. It flashes briefly from time-to-time but will not stay on. The flippers, ball launch and feature lights on the lower PF function properly in mode.

The lower playfield G.I. lights DO flash in the lamp test mode.

I show proper voltage readings at the Triacs.

According to schematics this is all controlled by a under playfield Flasher Assembly and two Triacs mounted on the rectifier board in the lower cabinet. The flasher assembly and solenoid expander boards are new and functioning properly from what I can tell. The under PF indicator light flashes. The MPU, Lamp Driver Board and Auxiliary Lamp Driver Boards are all new as well. It should not be a board issue.

Connectors and pins on the Auxiliary Lamp Driver have been re-pinned.

There are a set of feature lights that I believe should cycle on in the backbox lighting up the Elektra on the backglass when you go into the bonus mode for the lower playfield. These do not come on.

So what gives?

I read somewhere that full LED’s in this game can be an issue with the Triacs. Could there be any truth to the Triac needing a certain amount of draw to stay on and function properly?

Any help is appreciated.

2019-08-21 00.56.03 (resized).jpg
#2 9 days ago

The LED line could definitely be an issue. It's powering the GI with a similar method to how the controlled lights work via SCRs. The LED doesn't provide enough power to keep the SCR on. Depending on how the triac is coded it could have the same issue.

#3 7 days ago

You have properly done your homework and diagnosed the problem. Yes, the MOC311 chip on the lamp flasher does not draw enough current to latch the SCR that enables it. Bally put a 555 load lamp in parallel with the line going to the flasher board. If the lamp is missing, burned out, or has been replaced with an LED you would get erratic results like you are having. Look under the playfield by those flasher boards for a couple of extra lamps or sockets that don't appear to be doing anything and make sure there is a normal 555 bulb in them and not an LED.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Machine - For Sale
South Beloit, IL
Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside