Bally SS (Eight Ball) Display Issue

By drscottsmith

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hello all -

My Eight Ball has an issue that I need some assistance with. My credit, player 3 and 4 displays are all afflicted with the typical 00-33--55--77 pattern in test mode. In attract they just show junk.

I have replaced all connectors. I am testing with xpin led displays. I know that a bad decoder on one display can cause this behavior downstream...but...I get this problem with no other displays plugged in and using just the xpin.

Players 1 and 2 work perfectly with plasma and the xpins.

So, I suspect the problem is in one of the components on the MPU itself. The MPU connectors are also new. I am having trouble narrowing down if the 33-55-77-99 pattern would be caused by a bad digit enable, digit latch strobe, blanking, or segment data. I am suspecting U20 is the culprit...but wanted a second opinion. Confused as to which of these it may be as it looks like there is no wire that is common to displays 3AI, 4AI and 5AI but not 1 and 2.

Thanks to all -

-scott

#2 8 years ago

U20 has bit me before

#3 8 years ago

Open connector for BCD data would be my guess. It daisy chains from display to display. BCD data failure from the MPU would be bad counts on ALL displays, not just two. SO the mpu is putting out the right data, just when the specific display is latched, it is not getting the right BCD data.

U20 helps multiplex pia outputs to do a display latch strobe and switch strobe. Which is like a display enable signal. A U20 display failure manifests into one display not working at all typically. U20 failure will likely never cause a miscounting display.

Displays share all the same signals, they each have unique "latch" that tells each individual display to read the data.

#4 8 years ago

Andrew -

So then I would suspect pin 10, 16, 17, 18, or 19 (or some combination) is probably not making good contact on the credit display connector - since the problem starts there and the lines are daisy-chained?

Thanks!

-scott

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

Andrew -
So then I would suspect pin 10, 16, 17, 18, or 19 (or some combination) is probably not making good contact on the credit display connector - since the problem starts there and the lines are daisy-chained?
Thanks!
-scott

It is probably just one pin open. THey double crimp these wires or use pass through IDC.

Game power off.

Every display shares every signal except for the latch strobes are unique. DMM continuity buzz out the BCD pins from a working display to non working display.

I would doubt that two displays each have the same decoder problem. Connector open pin makes a lot more logical sense.

#6 8 years ago

Andrew wins!

The culprit was BCD D1 from the player 2 display to the credit display. So Player 1 and 2 worked fine, but somewhere in the harness the blue/white wire was apparently broken, affecting everything downstream.

I'm not sure if the actual symptoms are a way to narrow down which of the BCD lines are the culprit or not (e.g. does D1 cause a '00-22-44-66' pattern while a broken D2 would cause '00-11-33-11-33' pattern). I tested for continuity with a meter to find the problem. I had assumed that the harness was all good - bad assumption for a game that's almost 40 years old, and I also had replaced all of the connectors, so I REALLY assumed all with the wiring was good!

So - add to Pinwiki and other repair boards: Don't always necessarily assume that the Decoder chip on one display could be the problem with odd number sequencing in display test. If any multiple displays cause the same behavior in the same location, suspect the connector/harness in the connection just prior.

Thanks again all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.00
$ 199.95
$ 69.00
$ 179.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-ss-eight-ball-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.