(Topic ID: 198913)

Bally Squawk & Talk problem (Fireball II)

By Jappie

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi guys,

My Fireball II has a weird sound problem. At certain designated moments, it makes a strange buzzing sound. Also, the sound during multiball is wrong. I've made a video that explains it.

As said in the video, I have replaced the MPU and the sound card with others to see if that would help. Both did not make any difference.

Does anybody have a clue what might be the problem here? I'd be very grateful for the solution!

#2 6 years ago

Anybody? Forgot to mention that I've also replaced the J4-connector on the MPU.

#3 6 years ago

I would take another look at that mpu and the wiring between the mpu and the S&T board. My bet is that you have a small mpu issue.

Based on what I remember on the mpu, I believe that one of the multi-leg chips is what sends the signal to the sound board. If you can carefully remove and re-seat the sound roms or other chips on the mpu it might solve the problem.

#4 6 years ago

I'd check the grounding of all the boards and the earth strap to the head.

#5 6 years ago

Tech Bump...

Bizarre. Did you say that you have tried different sound roms?

BTW, very nice FB2!! ..and LOVE the clearcoated pf!

~Steveo

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for your replies, guys! To clearify things: I have already tried a different MPU and a different Squawk and Talk board, but the problem persists. So I don't suspect the boards themselves.

The problem seems too connected to certain predictable occurances in the game to suspect the wiring, but I will definitely measure it just to be sure.

I'll also replace the game eproms and the sound eproms.

The game is at my parents' house, so it might take some time before I can do all this. But I will definitely post the solution here once I've found it.

If anybody has any other possible solutions, let me know!

Edit: I'll definitely also check the ground wiring!

1 month later
#7 6 years ago

For reference:

The problem was that there was a 6802 microprocessor in U1. This probably caused the timing of some of the sounds to mess up.

I replaced the 6802 for an 6808. For this to work, I also added a 6810 in U6, removed the jumper in K and added a jumper in L.

After doing this, the sounds are perfect again. Happy me. I was starting to get a headache.

Thank you for your suggestions everybody!

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for the update.
For our reference, can you tell us what manufacturer brands the suspect 6802 and working 6808 microprocessors are?
Maybe post pictures of these CPUs if you can.
Does your second Squawk and Talk board have the same type of 6802 microprocessor?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-squawk-talk-problem-fireball-ii and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.