(Topic ID: 165353)

Bally Squawk and Talk Sound Board - no speech

By wantdataeast

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wantdataeast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

RE: Mr & Mrs PacMan pinball. I was getting no speech from this machine. So I replaced all the caps on the sound board and sprayed some contact cleaner on the pots... I am still getting no speech.

Any help appreciated.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

First...don't spray any more contact cleaner. It's not good for pinball machines.
All speech on that board comes from the TMS5200 voice chip.
Often, the legs of that chip become tarnished

I pulled the TMS5200 chip the legs were pretty ugly I cleaned them with a fiberglass pen and re-installed. Now I am can hear the voice on the game, but the voice is VERY quiet (i can barely hear it); while all sound effects are normal.

The speech pot is on high, when i adjust it downward the sound disappears totally.

What would cause very quiet sound in this case?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Nice. We are getting somewhere.
Next step is to replace both volume pots.
-

I had a 1k pot (i only had one) on hand. So I replaced the speech pot... still the same sound situation.. I can barely hear it. I did not replace the other pot (sound pot)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wantdataeast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-squawk-and-talk-sound-board-no-speech?tu=wantdataeast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.