spy_hunter_-_1983_-_bally_midway_(resized).jpg
P5150221_(resized).JPG
P5150220_(resized).JPG
P5150219_(resized).JPG
P5150218_(resized).JPG
P5150217_(resized).JPG
P5150216_(resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

I picked up the project Spy Hunter and will start to bring it back to life after being in storage for 10 plus years. The PF looks like it will clean up nicely and there's no wear that I can see. Inserts are still flat. It's missing 3 flipper mechs, a sling shot mech which I have in my parts hoard. Will have to figure out the flipper wiring since the wires were cut and the EOS switches were also removed. If anyone can shoot some pics of all the EOS wiring that would be greatly appreciated.

The cab is pretty good. Just a few bruises from being moved.

Things I'm looking for:

Cheap Squeak sound board
Plastics set
Spinner target
metal arches, mine are rusty
Manual

P5140177_(resized).JPGP5140177_(resized).JPG

P5140178_(resized).JPGP5140178_(resized).JPG

P5140179_(resized).JPGP5140179_(resized).JPG

P5140180_(resized).JPGP5140180_(resized).JPG

P5140181_(resized).JPGP5140181_(resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Stripped pf and cleaned the plastics and posts. The plastics came out pretty nice, I was surprised. The clear plastics only yellowed slightly. I need to run the hardware and mini posts in the tumbler. I cleaned the pf and hit hard with Novus 2 and magic eraser. The is some ball swirls that won't come out and some missing black paint in the upper pf area. The pf isn't as nice as I had hoped for but will still play nice.

P5140213_(resized).JPGP5140213_(resized).JPG

P5150216_(resized).JPGP5150216_(resized).JPG

P5150217_(resized).JPGP5150217_(resized).JPG

P5150218_(resized).JPGP5150218_(resized).JPG

P5150219_(resized).JPGP5150219_(resized).JPG

P5150220_(resized).JPGP5150220_(resized).JPG

P5150221_(resized).JPGP5150221_(resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Looks very nice! Glad to see someone resurrecting it!

#4 7 years ago

Looks good.

Now all you need is the Spy Hunter upright arcade game to go with it

spy_hunter_-_1983_-_bally_midway_(resized).jpgspy_hunter_-_1983_-_bally_midway_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#5 7 years ago

So I fired up the Spy last night. This game has been sitting for over 10 years so I was very cautious. I started with just power supply connected and checked voltages. With no load they were normal to high, especially the 12V which was reading about 15. I had an untested sol. driver board and put that in and checked voltages again, still a little high on the 12V at about 14.4V which I think I can get away with. Finally I connected the MPU and it booted. I still need the cheap squeak board so I still don't have sound. 95% of the lamps are still working, only 1 locked lamp. Game is missing 3 flippers and the sling shot so I didn't power up the coils yet or test the switches. The solenoid driver I used for testing has no high volt for the displays so I guess I install a rebuild kit for that.

Quoted from vid1900:

Looks good.
Now all you need is the Spy Hunter upright arcade game to go with it

That game brings back memories playing in the arcades in the 80's.

#6 7 years ago

Playfield screws and hardware were tumbled with flitz and fine walnut and look great. I need pics of the flipper wiring if anyone has time to post I would be very greatful.

Still need Cheap Squeak board, backglass, ball gates and the plastic that sits to the left of the pop bumper.

#7 7 years ago

That playfield looks like it would be a great candidate for touch up and clearcoat.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from angryjeep:

That playfield looks like it would be a great candidate for touch up and clearcoat.

I agree, but it's not my forte. I will do minor touch ups in the black areas around the mini posts. It would be expensive to send out and the wait time is a killer. I have enough projects to keep me busy for the next few years anyway lol.

4 weeks later
#9 7 years ago

Booted up game a few weeks ago and voltages seemed ok. I left the pf coils disconnected until I put in the new flipper mechs and sling shot. I also found that the lower right corner rebound switch was also MIA. Replaced all that and all coils are good. Still need sound roms, back glass, ball gates and spinner mounting bracket. Post pics later...

#10 7 years ago

Looks really good! I am in the process of restore on a Spy Hunter as well. Unfortunately, I am missing all the playfield plastics and the backglass. I guess on the positive, it powers on and all the electronics work. I have tried 4 resources to find the missing parts but have yet to be successful in the past 4 months. It's for my dad, so I will keep trying despite frustration

Spy1_(resized).jpgSpy1_(resized).jpg

spy2_(resized).jpgspy2_(resized).jpg

spy3_(resized).jpgspy3_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Spazz_Texas:

Looks really good! I am in the process of restore on a Spy Hunter as well. Unfortunately, I am missing all the playfield plastics and the backglass. I guess on the positive, it powers on and all the electronics work. I have tried 4 resources to find the missing parts but have yet to be successful in the past 4 months. It's for my dad, so I will keep trying despite frustration

It looks like you have your work cut out as far as the cabinet goes. Luckily mine is pretty good. I only need 1 plastic but I need the ball gates on the playfield. Mine are rusty and missing the wire forms. Also still hunting for backglass. I rodered some LED's from cointaker, once they arrive I can start reinstalling the posts, rubbers and plastics and finally play it.

There a clear plastics for sale on ebay, you may have seen but I think they are thinner than the originals.

#13 7 years ago

I just recently had the opportunity to play this pin and it is brutal! Challenging for sure. Good luck with your restoration.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It looks like you have your work cut out as far as the cabinet goes. Luckily mine is pretty good. I only need 1 plastic but I need the ball gates on the playfield. Mine are rusty and missing the wire forms. Also still hunting for backglass. I rodered some LED's from cointaker, once they arrive I can start reinstalling the posts, rubbers and plastics and finally play it.
There a clear plastics for sale on ebay, you may have seen but I think they are thinner than the originals.

I have been scouring ebay and setting up key word searches. One thing I was thinking, was if someone had a high res photo of the glass that maybe I could figure out how to get a translite for the machine printed. The similar thought occurred for the playfield plastics. In hindsight, I should have maybe not bought such a rare machine but it was $100 and I got it for my dad. The cabinet itself looks pretty good minus the water damage and the playfield needs a bit of retouching.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Spazz_Texas:

I have been scouring ebay and setting up key word searches. One thing I was thinking, was if someone had a high res photo of the glass that maybe I could figure out how to get a translite for the machine printed. The similar thought occurred for the playfield plastics. In hindsight, I should have maybe not bought such a rare machine but it was $100 and I got it for my dad. The cabinet itself looks pretty good minus the water damage and the playfield needs a bit of retouching.

The guy I got mine from told me he had the backglass art file. I will work on trying to get it from him.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

The guy I got mine from told me he had the backglass art file. I will work on trying to get it from him.

Someone should gather up Hi-rez pics of sorts of backglasses and make some sort of archive website, feels like they are in high demand enough.

1 month later
#17 7 years ago

I'm in between houses right now. My SH is not here so I cant show you what it looks like right now, but I ended up redoing the entire cabinet due to all the water damage. Here are a few pics that I have on my PC at the moment. I have custom artwork. I tried to keep it close to the original with giving it a touch of modern.

Spy Hunter Cabinet side art VERSION 3.2 (resized).pngSpy Hunter Cabinet side art VERSION 3.2 (resized).png

11707554_1182938365066331_2595902283628783126_n (resized).jpg11707554_1182938365066331_2595902283628783126_n (resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

I'm in between houses right now. My SH is not here so I cant show you what it looks like right now, but I ended up redoing the entire cabinet due to all the water damage. Here are a few pics that I have on my PC at the moment. I have custom artwork. I tried to keep it close to the original with giving it a touch of modern.

I like it! What did you print the artwork on? The right side panel of my backbox has some slight swelling at the bottom. If I were to restore, I would go this route. Well done. Of course I'm still hunting for a backglass. I have the game running nicely, rebuilt all the flippers, waxed playfield and re-rubbered.

1 month later
#19 7 years ago

Spy Hunter running nicely, need backglass to complete. Anyone?

#20 7 years ago

Hello Everyone !
I picked up a Spy Hunter about a month ago for restoration. Mine has an almost perfect backglass and the plastics look good.
When I get caught up on some projects I will be glad to see if I can scan the glass and plastics for you all. If someone is good with photoshop some decent artworks can be made with it. If I knew how to use photoshop I would be an artwork making fool !!! There is a guy up in Canada if he is still doing it that can print out glasses if we provide him the artwork. He did my Lucky Strike & Bowl A Strike glasses.
My machine has board issues, corrosion on the MPU etc. I am going to pull them all and send them out for repair at The Coin-OP Cauldron. The MPU I am going to replace with an Alltek Board. Overall my game is just really dirty and needs to be gone through an cleaned. There is a lot of debris down in the cabinet.
There is another guy looking for a backglass also for his Spy Hunter if the artwork can be obtained.
Talk to ya later !!! Thanks !!!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Jetcom1121:

Hello Everyone !
I picked up a Spy Hunter about a month ago for restoration. Mine has an almost perfect backglass and the plastics look good.
When I get caught up on some projects I will be glad to see if I can scan the glass and plastics for you all. If someone is good with photoshop some decent artworks can be made with it. If I knew how to use photoshop I would be an artwork making fool !!! There is a guy up in Canada if he is still doing it that can print out glasses if we provide him the artwork. He did my Lucky Strike & Bowl A Strike glasses.
My machine has board issues, corrosion on the MPU etc. I am going to pull them all and send them out for repair at The Coin-OP Cauldron. The MPU I am going to replace with an Alltek Board. Overall my game is just really dirty and needs to be gone through an cleaned. There is a lot of debris down in the cabinet.
There is another guy looking for a backglass also for his Spy Hunter if the artwork can be obtained.
Talk to ya later !!! Thanks !!!

I would really appreciate a scan of a nice backglass. Can make a translite at least. I also know another guy that needs this glass, so that's 3 now LOL. The kicker is that a nice spy only fetches about $1000-$1200 and a repro glass would be $300 shipped if the guys in Canada would make. I did ask CPR and I don't think there's enough demand to warrant a repro run. Maybe if they had the artwork in hand, I could talk them into it.

My game was missing the MPU, sound board, Sol driver, lamp driver and all displays. I ended up with an extra sound board that I re-capped and replaced the volume pot and installed new sound roms in. reflowed header pins, tested good. It's for sale for $150.

1 month later
#22 7 years ago

Here is some pics of mine. Give you some ideas on what to do with yours? I know you are still a no go for a backglass, but when you do manage to get one. I would paint the panel behind the backglass (the one that holds the backbox lights)white. I did a high gloss white and it helps the illumination of the glass. I have yet to see a SH backglass as appropriately lit as mine. Usually I see bright spots or too much of another color.

P.S. The pics of this machine are before I reverted back to the original pop bumper cap.

20160829_222737 (resized).jpg20160829_222737 (resized).jpg
20160829_222644 (resized).jpg20160829_222644 (resized).jpg
20160829_222708 (resized).jpg20160829_222708 (resized).jpg
20160909_004414 (resized).jpg20160909_004414 (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

That looks amazing, nice work! I will definitely paint the lamp board white. LED's in the backbox will help as well, and also keep the glass cooler than the 555 lamps. I did find a second spy hunter with a nice backglass but would still like to find another glass for the first game.

#24 7 years ago

I also painted the beige portion of the playfield under the plastics. Gloss white too. This game can be very dark. I also added a led strip under the Eiffel tower plastic. The pics kinda show the results.

1 year later
#25 6 years ago

Wow seeing these pics of finished ones kinda sparks some interest in the one i have. MY machine is 100% operational and complete. I have the backglass but has flaked and bubbled in areas. The cabinet needs lots of work from being bumped and such over the years so it needs to be redone. Playfield im trying to find a direction. The playfield is worn in the common places and suffers from not being cleaned/maintained for many many years. I might sell i might keep havent decided yet have to decide how deep im willing to go. If anyone has the art files in illustrator or any format id appreciate the share.

5 months later
#26 5 years ago

Looking for a set of head decals for a project spy hunter I have ,,if you know where or who can make these please let me know
[email protected]

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 45.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 10.00
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 85.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Stillman Valley, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-spy-hunter-resurrection-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.