(Topic ID: 303808)

Bally Spy Hunter project repairs and questions

By junkyardjedi

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211112_162122 (resized).jpg
    20211112_162132 (resized).jpg
    20211110_065110 (resized).jpg
    20211110_065131 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I've started repairing a Spy Hunter I picked up last year. First of all I repaired the power module all voltages were good so I plugged in the other plugs and fired it up. C10 popped on the cheap squeak deluxe but I got 7 flashes on the mpu. So it went into attract mode and coined up but no sound. I pulled off the sound board replaced c10 plugged it in to test before I mounted it and I got some sounds so I mounted it and c10 blew as well as one of the fuses on the power module. So it seems that the board is grounding off of something also the button on the coin door for going through the test modes isn't working. I tried using a different working mpu with no change. I checked continuity on the wires in the switch and I was able to trace one of them all the way to the backbox but not the other so I'm guessing there's a break possibly but I'm not 100% sure that I got the right wire in the backbox. At this point I'm not 100% on where I should start but I'm sure someone on here can point me in the right direction thanks in advance
    Jim

#spyhunter

#2 2 years ago

Post pictures of the front and back of the sound board.

Check the connector at the coin door. The coin door switch on that comes into the MPU at J3. But the return is on the sdb at J2. I would repin both of those.

#3 2 years ago

When you say sbd @ j2 you're referencing the solenoid board and not the sound board correct? The wire for the switch that goes to the MPU was good to the plug ar least I was planning on repinning the mpu and solenoid boards here's the bottom of the sound board

20211110_065131 (resized).jpg20211110_065131 (resized).jpg
    #4 2 years ago
    20211110_065110 (resized).jpg20211110_065110 (resized).jpg
    #5 2 years ago
    Quoted from junkyardjedi:

When you say sbd @ j2 you're referencing the solenoid board and not the sound board correct?
    [quoted image]

Correct

If the game goes into attract you can test to see if the switch is not making continuity by grounding pin 1 on J3 of the MPU. Take a alligator lead clip it to pin 1 and the touch the other end to ground. For every touch to ground the menu will advance

#6 2 years ago

I don’t see anything obviously wrong on the sound card others might. That sound hours takes 12v from the power supply and makes its own 5v. My suspicion is that something in the conversation to 5v is shorted. Probably the 5v reg on the board. I would check reg and descrite components to it.

#7 2 years ago

Sounds good I'll do that when I get home.

#8 2 years ago

I can't tell 100% but I think the tantalum capacitor at C10 you installed is backwards. Those capacitors are polarised and need to be installed the right way around otherwise they blow. The board location has a "+" marking where the "+" leg of the capacitor should be installed.

#9 2 years ago

It didn't blow till I mounted it to the backbox as far as c10 goes so I'm guessing something else is shorted to ground idk

#10 2 years ago

Tantalum capacitors don't always blow straight away but if you don't want to check if it was properly oriented, that's up to you.

A short to ground on either side of that capacitor will not blow it.
    What will blow it is excessive voltage, excessive heat or being installed backwards.

#11 2 years ago

Well I did take note of the + when I installed it I have two cheap squeaks and they both did the same thing the other one caught fire and took out c9 and the two ground components on the other side of it and that's before I replaced any of them

#12 2 years ago

Got a closeup pic of C10?

If you plug the 15 pin connector at J1 the wrong way around, it puts 12V to ground on the sound board and ground to 12V on the sound board - i.e. the capacitor at C10 will get reverse 12VDC voltage and blow.

Is this what's happened?

#13 2 years ago

So I was able to ground pin 1 on j3 and get into the various test modes. So at least I know the mpu is in good working order so I'm guessing there's a break in the wire or a bad connector. I also replaced that cap at c10 but as soon as I mount it and turn it on F3 blows I'm going to repin the sound board and replace the plug hopefully that resolves part of the problem What's my new step?

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from junkyardjedi:

I'm going to repin the sound board and replace the plug hopefully that resolves part of the problem What's my new step?

The pin header has pins are pressed tight into the PCB. If you try to remove them you're going to cause damage.

1) Post a clear picture of the sound board connector showing the wire colors. Maybe somebody's incorrectly moved a wire into the wrong position.

2) What voltage tantalum capacitor at C10 are you using?

3) Are you measuring a zero ohms short circuit from the 12V input on the sound board to ground on the sound board?

4) Have you inspected if the sound board is touching anything it shouldn't when you're screwing it into the backbox?

5) Did you confirm 100% that you're plugging the connector the right way around on the sound board?

#15 2 years ago

The cap is 25v sometimes I need to wiggle the plug to get it working properly so I'm guessing there is a pin that isn't making good contact I'll take a photo of the plug after work today

#16 2 years ago

The plug is keyed so I can't plug it in any other way there is nothing on the backside sticking out
    I'm not 100% on checking the ohms on the 12 however

#17 2 years ago

I'm thinking there maybe some interior damage on the plug I'm going to plug it in with the power off and check for continuity from wire to wire as well

#18 2 years ago

Good chance the problem is on the sound board. As someone mentioned, maybe the 5v regulator

#19 2 years ago

Here's the photos of the plug

20211112_162122 (resized).jpg20211112_162122 (resized).jpg20211112_162132 (resized).jpg20211112_162132 (resized).jpg
    #20 2 years ago

There are 2 caps known to fail on the cheap squeak board. C10 and I think c22 but no sure. Will check when I get home as I replaced both w tantalum caps and it works great.

#21 2 years ago

Also the header pins on this board are directly mounted to the board so you could have a cold solder joint.

#22 2 years ago

I went over the joints with fresh solder

#23 2 years ago

So I went over the top of the solder joints on top of the board as well on a whim and bingo no more blown fuses so it appears that is fixed now as well so now I just have to figure out where the issue is with the test switch and finally the lamps that are out on the lamp board thanks for the help so far so good fellas

1 month later
    #24 2 years ago

Got the playfield all cleaned up novused the playfield and polished the plastics with new rubber it coins up and kicks the ball out but none of the other solenoids work flippers etc neither do any of the targets register and points I guessing something on the solenoid board possibly ?

#25 2 years ago

Have you tried the coil test using the test button behind the coin door? If it's kicking a ball out, there's gotta be voltage getting to at least 1 coil.

#26 2 years ago

Yeah the coil test works 100% when I go into test mode but nothing once a game starts and if I hit any targets rollover etc nothing happens no sound or scores are registered

#27 2 years ago

Try reseating the connector at the upper-right on the mpu. Can you get any switch on the playfield to register?

#28 2 years ago

I swapped mpus with no change I'll take a look at that connector to see if there is any cold solder

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-spy-hunter-project-repairs-and-questions- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.