• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by KenH
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

schematic.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider duncan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi all,

This is pretty new to me after just bringing my 4 Bally machines out of storage after 15 years.

I'd like to ascertain whether it is feasible to do remedial work on Spy Hunter to get it into a usable state.

The alternative would be selling up in its current state and handing over to a professional.

Symptoms:

- The playfield and backlight lamps illuminate.
- Machine's MPU completes the 7 flashes (+flicker).
- There is a solenoid or relay click on flash 5 and again after flash 7.
- There is no activity on the plasma displays although the CREDIT/Ball# display has a small orange dot at the bottom.
- There is no sound at all.
- Pressing the game start button initiates a new game as expected indicated only by the playfield lamps.
- The ball fails to be kicked out into play.
- Flippers function as normal.

I have some basic skills and test equipment (multimeter testing / soldering)
Is anyone able to suggest any steps i might take to test?

I've uploaded a short video of symptoms here:
http://videobam.com/kVrID

Many thanks in advance.

Duncan

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply, WOLF.

Tried disconnecting every board mounted connector as well as in-line connectors, giving them a wipe with dry blue-roll where possible then reconnected. No change.

I've also tried replacing 5101 (U8) and 6800 (U9) with known working with same results.
I've tried connecting only J1 and J4 on the MPU with similar results.
Given that it seems the machine achieves "attract mode", i'm not sure the above steps prove anything.

Unusual for a Pinball of this era, this MPU is totally corrosion free. I'm even still using the original battery (isolated with extended cabling) which seems to hold charge fine.

It may be worthy of note that I also have three other similar machines which i can interchange parts with for testing purposes.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks again for the replies.

It would indeed appear that all solenoids except the flippers are not functioning, including the ball kicker. (Sensors seem to be ok as lights react to some targets.)

Playfield fuse is not blown. Tested with multimeter in situ. 1AMP slo-blo is thick and visibly good.

Any ideas given the above?

#8 9 years ago

hmm.. F4 fuse at first inspection was suspiciously smaller than the others in the row.

It would seem its been replaced at some point with a standard UK plug 5 AMP fuse... I'm guessing this is pretty wrong.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=marbo+5+amp+bs1362

The fuse does work though.

...I'm heading out now but will pick this up as soon as i can.

Thanks for your help.

#12 9 years ago

+43VDC at all solenoids ans either side of the playfield fuse (near apron).

Would it make sense to swap out the solenoid board for a known working one?

#14 9 years ago

Hi JBK,

Great list, thanks for posting. Not sure why this hadn't occurred to me before. Ran tests on all TPs and got values in line with the numbers stated above on everything except the Display Driver Boards.

All Display Driver Boards give TP1 as -0.83VDC and TP2 as +166VDC. I'm assuming TP2 is ok at 166 but there is definitely something wrong with TP1. Where does it pick up this voltage from? Assuming its from the MPU? Something shorting out maybe?

FYI The Solenoid Driver had two other test points TP6 = 5VDC and TP7 = 5VDC.

Thanks again

#16 9 years ago

Progress! Real Progress!

Checked and cleaned A3J3-17 and we now have attract mode and game play. Thank you KenH for your recommendation on that. No idea how you deciphered that from the schematic?!

-Displays are a little abstract with some segments copied from others etc.
-Sound disappointingly "Dinging".
-Biggest issue seems that once the ball is returned to the Out Hole, the players score doesn't finish tallying. It just keeping increasing. The only way i can find to stop this is a power cycle, meaning game is only good for one round.

I've taken another short video to show characteristics:
http://videobam.com/uTsZm

I'd assume that the displays and maybe sound would be sorted by cleaning more contacts. Could the same be said for the score tally issue?

Thanks so much for your help with this!

#19 9 years ago

Working Perfectly!

Guys, can't thank you all enough for you combined help with this. This thing has been out of commission for 15 years. I honestly didn't expect it to work again.

ANSWER:
Replaced the 5101 on the MPU and all issues are fixed. Displays all perfect, score under control etc. Sound was just a setting on self test options.

This is such an addictive game.. So many good memories!

THANKS!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Potterville, MI
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider duncan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-spy-hunter-not-starting-after-mpu-test-complete?tu=duncan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.