4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanClaytor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Spottem removed (resized).jpg
    Spottem before (resized).jpg
    20150330_103500.jpg
    SPOTTEM RING.jpg
    20150330_160820.jpg
    20150404_073944.jpg

#1 4 years ago
    20150404_073944.jpg 20150330_160820.jpg SPOTTEM RING.jpg
    #2 4 years ago

Hello
    I am working on this classic on and off and trying to seek some parts or any available help.
    Thanks

#3 4 years ago

That small piece attached to the screw that holds the rebound rubber is usually made of bakelite and is extremely fragile. Be very careful when reinserting the rebound rubber that you don't overtighten, or that will break. If you don't have a bakelite washer, you can make something similar and paint it an off red as that was its original color. Twist the screw in just enough to hold the rebound rubber in place. Anything beyond that will break the washer.

For the passive bumpers, be very careful with the plastic. It is very thin and flimsy and breaks/discolors easily.

The rebound rubber you already have looks to be pretty good, so I'd leave it alone. If you want to replace it, mix and match some rubber washers and grommets to resemble the original as closely as possible.

I saw your other post on this in the tech forum. The part you are looking for doesn't exist in a condition better than what you already have in the quantity you need. The best you can do is shift them around to bumpers that are more forgiving to ball contact and keep looking for a spare or two in better shape here and there on ebay, Mrpinball, and the prewar rec.games group.

You can also carefully bend and adjust the springs to optimize gameplay, but be very careful. You can easily make the game unplayable. If the game works as is, leave it alone.

Welcome to the world of flipperless resto! I have 2 of these machines restored and a few other waiting. They really aren't hard to get going if they are complete and are fun machines in their own way.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks a lot for the information, the last picture shows a part that goes into the socket on the play field you can see it in bumper #5, looking at bumper #9 the piece is missing? the spring sits in the center of this part, there are a few more missing. Any idea what this part is called?
    Thanks

20150330_103500.jpg
    #5 4 years ago

Its a circular contact ring... one wire is from the spiral spring.. the other is to the contact ring.
    No choice but to make your own unless you have a stash of spare parts from a machine that has already been declared dead.
    You have all the original marbled bumper caps.. that in itself is a blessing!

#6 4 years ago

What kind of material is this ring made from?
    I do have all my bumper caps I am missing some of the center bumper collars, would there be any suggestions on what to use to make new ones?

Thanks a lot
    Paul

4 weeks later
    #7 4 years ago

Finally got some information on the insert ring, looks like its made of lead, I found a block of lead from an old printing press shop and am seeking a machine shop to make me some rings.
    The transformer is totally dead and added to the rebuild list.

2 years later
    #8 1 year ago

Well, I thought I would continue the story on this pin. I recently purchased it from Shane1974, who probably got it from ValleyGuy. What I gather is that it is in a similar condition as in the beginning of this thread. Lots of loose parts in the cab, including the transformer. But it seems overall complete, other than missing some of those lead contact rings.

I looked through the stuff and found the original "timer" for the power. If anything, it seems to barely work. And considering that the last thing I want is this thing to catch on fire, the electrical side of this beauty will get an upgrade. I know... I know.... somewhat sacrilegious... but I want to give this machine many more years of enjoyment. So... I will install a new power cord, install a proper power switch, and go over the lighting circuits.

I must admit, I am starting with nothing much, and not much experience on pre-war machines. I do have a Bumper but I haven<t tinkered around with it much yet. So I don't know what voltage I am supposed to get out of the transformer, nor do I have schematics. But if someone has some, I am interested to get them.

OK, back on track. I started looking at the playfield and noticed something... looked like someone put in a waterslide decals YEARS ago to cover a feature.

So, I started to SLOWLY scratch that decal off... and found the writing. "RELEASES OUT BALL"

Cool.... I am hooked already. Wow... 1939... if this thing could talk, the stories it could tell....

More on this beauty soon. I thought it would be a welcome change from high-priced pins. LOL. No... not the most exciting pin, but for what it cost, and the historical value, why not...

Spottem before (resized).jpg

Spottem removed (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #9 1 year ago

Hi Maaca-Sparky,

Just found this thread and I'm happy you're taking the time to save this beauty. ...and what a neat reveal regarding that "return out ball" feature! So cool. I wish you the best with this restore.

Sincerely,
    Ryan

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 109.99
    $ 10.00
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 29.95
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside