(Topic ID: 260322)

Bally Spectrum playfield GI issue, what do the little boards do?

By solarvalue

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi all,

My Spectrum has an intermittent GI issue. Sometimes some of the GI lamps on my playfield will go off during play. After doing some reading I figure it might be a problem with one of the 2 small auxiliary lamp driver boards on the back of the lamp insert board in the backbox or one of the 2 under the playfield. Does anyone know which lamps each of these little boards control? I can't see this information in the manual.

Thanks, SV

#2 4 years ago

The Gi is controlled by a Triac mounted to the power supply chassis. The triac is controlled by a flasher board on the playfiled. This sort of problem is typically caused by a combination of the following:

A problem with the load lamp mounted near the flasher board. Look for a light bulb mounted near the board that doesn't appear to do anything. Make sure it is not missing or has been replaced by an LED
Loose wire or pin connection on the lamp flasher board
Loose connection to the triac,

#3 4 years ago

My Spectrum had this issue. You can swap the two Triac boards as they are the same to see if the problems moves with the board. Mine was fixed by replacing the MOC3011 chip on the board. I think the chip was cheap. Also, check the connectors and reflow the pins. These boards are crazy old!

#4 4 years ago

Thanks everyone,
There's 4 boards, two in the backbox and two under the playfield. Does anyone know what each of the 4 boards does specifically?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Does anyone know what each of the 4 boards does specifically?

The schematics say the two aux driver boards under the playfield each drive its own triac mounted on the power module in the bottom of the cabinet that switch the playfield G.I. on and off. Each triac will probably switch half of the playfield G.I. lamps considering the load - there are usually two G.I. lamp buses from the rectifier board to the playfield in these older Ballys to reduce strain on connectors and wiring.

One of the backbox aux driver boards does the same for the backbox G.I. (triac also mounted on the power module bottom of the game).

The fourth aux driver board in the backbox (note it is different to the other three and has a SCR mounted on a heatsink) controls four 12 volt lamps (#912 / #921 lamps) behind the backglass - see here where Todd (TNT) mentions them:

Todd mentions the four 12V flashing lights here when you get the 10k star bonus:

#6 4 years ago

Thanks so much Quench

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Cabinet - Decals
J and D Arcade

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-spectrum-playfield-gi-issue-what-do-the-little-boards-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.