• Latest reply 11 months ago by mcnoodles
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Spectrum Playfield (resized).png
#1 11 months ago

Hello guys & gals, I have some odd-ball issues with my Spectrum pinball machine and I’m really hoping to get some help and gain some knowledge as well. I’m very new to the pinball life, well the technical side of things, so I don’t know exactly how to formulate the proper questions to address my pinball problems in an efficient way; hopefully this info isn’t too overwhelming. Thank you in advance.

________
--Issues--
________

-Bottom Drain Saucer (below both flippers) - When the ball drains, it kicks it back out and the player’s turn continues like nothing happened. It's continuous no matter how many times it drains or how long it’s been. The only possible way to end the turn is with a tilt.

-Left Lower Saucer (Reservoir Ball) - Does not work at all, ball does not release.

-Right Lower Saucer (Reservoir Ball) - Partially working. Somewhat frequently the saucer kicks out the ball right after the other active ball, when it should stay in the reservoir hole; both balls are in play. I do understand that a “multiball” play can occur with this machine, but this is much too frequent for it to be normal.

-Left Mid Saucer (Clue) - Does not work at all.

-Right Mid Saucer (Clue) - Perfectly working as it should.

-Top Saucer (Clue) - Partially functional, only kicks out to the left side. Left Kicker works perfectly / Right Kicker does not work at all.

-Self-test Mode: everything works perfectly and functions as it should.

-Tested the 1N4148 diodes on the saucer leaf switches, and they all tested good.

-Checked all the saucer leaf switch positions, all are in open position and will make contact when the ball pushes down on the small button.

*It is worth noting during testing, when I push on the Right Mid Saucer (Clue) leaf switch, sometimes it activates the Left Mid Saucer (Clue); approx 1 out of 8 times, random though.

-Brand new Alltek Boards; MPU, Solenoid Driver, Lamp Drivers. Also brand new Power Module Board as well.

Spectrum Playfield (resized).pngSpectrum Playfield (resized).png
#2 11 months ago

Spectrum is not a great game to learn repair skills. That said, does your game have the original CPU board? If yes, any corrosion around the battery on the bottom of the board?

It sounds like you may have switch and solenoid issues.

Quoted from mcnoodles:

-Self-test Mode: everything works perfectly and functions as it should.

Diagnostics tests several different things. Have you run switch test? Solenoid test? Link below should get you pointed in the right direction.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern

#3 11 months ago

You said the boards are new, but have the connectors been rebuilt?

#4 11 months ago

Reading a couple of things on Alteks page, the expander relay is something to look at, "if someone has replaced a coil and has not put the required extra diode that isolated the 2 buses"...

Also read disconnecting the squawk and talk board and see if the behavior changes.

#5 11 months ago

Since the coils work fine in self-test I think, with the exception of the outhole, you are looking at a switch issue. You should put the game in switch test and make sure the switches are registering and showing the correct number when the ball goes into the saucers.

As for the outhole, the game has a ball index feature where if the ball kicks out and no points are scored it will keep rekicking the ball until a point is scored.

As for the touching a switch and a coil firing. Your finger is grounding the blade and that can cause phantom switch hits. The saucer button should be insulated from the switch contact. Make sure the insulating fish paper has not worn away on the saucer switches.

#6 11 months ago

I definitely have a newfound respect for the technical side of the pinball community, holy smokes! This is the first pinball machine I’ve owned, and the first time ever being able to look under the hood of a machine in person, so it’s all very new & fascinating for me, but also very intimidating with the lack of knowledge. So thank you all for your input with troubleshooting information; what a great forum!

Previously I was using the Self-Test button on the machine and only looked & listened for the solenoids to activate/deactivate; I would consider it more of a general observation. Now I just used the Alltek MPU Test Card and was able to pinpoint a handful of individual solenoids that registered with short circuits on the Solenoid Driver Board diagnostics; what a great tool! I'm embarrassed that I didn't use it prior to this..
Anyways as for now, it seems that the problems have been pinpointed and I will start researching how to troubleshoot these short-circuits. Thank you all for guiding me in the right direction, very much appreciated!

#7 11 months ago

Don't leave us hanging! We all need to learn from what you find out!

#8 11 months ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Don't leave us hanging! We all need to learn from what you find out!

Yes absolutely, it may take a little while, but I do plan on posting a follow-up with details after doing some more troubleshooting. Trials & errors, and hopefully some solid solutions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 5,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 7.50
Cabinet - Decals
J and D Arcade

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-spectrum-issues-with-kick-out-saucers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.