• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

ok.....HELLLLPPPPP!!!!!

Under the "From bad to worse" category.

I have an Alltek Ultimate MPU in my Speakeasy and was having some troubles with it (The game played, but due to corrosion, there was an intermittent grounding issue that would cause reboots). With the help of Dave at Alltek (incredible customer service btw), we determined that the J4 header needed to be replaced. I sent him the board, he replaced the header and I had the board back in hand within a week.

While he was doing the repair, I replaced the original red molex connector on the wire bundle with a white molex connector .100 spacing and re-pinned the wires.

Now, I get nada, nothing, zilch. The board does not power up. It must be something I did while re-pinning.

Could someone suggest where to start troubleshooting, my concern is that if I re-re-pin the wires odds are pretty good that I'll mess it up again. That is of course if the problem lies in the new connector. Unfortunately Dave is on vacation right now and won't be able to help for a while.

Did I use the incorrect pins? What pins should be used with the female connector?

Thanks

#2 1 year ago

the crimp pins are to the right https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=70

do you have the manual and/or did you take a picture to confirm wire colour and placement?

#3 1 year ago

also check your fuses on the rectifier board

#4 1 year ago

If color placement is correct, use the wiring diagram and meter out each wire to make sure the pins are good. I would use the schematic too. Go from the first component on each board, that way you also verify the connections between connectors are really good and you don't have a bad solder connection at a header.

#5 1 year ago

Test for 5 volts on the test point on the board. Make sure the board is secured tightly with at least one screw, to complete the ground circuit. If it's getting good 5V, power off, disconnect all connectors but J4 see if it boots.

If still nothing, check each pin on J4 to see if you may have skipped a space. Manual tells you which wire goes to which pin.

2 weeks later
#6 1 year ago

First thing to do at this point is to double and triple check the wiring as compared to the schematics.
Was the original shell an IDC or crimp on? If it was an IDC you're screwed and must make the replacement crimp style work. I've had problems with the replacement white Molex connectors as they require a taller pin to make contact especially with a key installed. As such I have stopped replacing .100 shells unless I have to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

1,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-speakeasy-no-mpu-power?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.