(Topic ID: 299551)

Bally Speakeasy, No 43VDC (topic change)

By DropTarget

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DropTarget
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Hi All,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but......

I have a Bally Speakeasy, No control lights, roulette wheel doesn't spin. Fuses are good. I'm getting +5.12VDC across tp1 and tp2 on lamp driver board. Any ideas where to go from here?

TIA

#2 2 years ago

is the game booting up?

are you able to play a game but just no switched lights, only the general illumination?

#3 2 years ago

Check for voltage on the bare feature light power wire under the playfield. Should be 6 vdc or so.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#No_Controlled_Lamps_Working

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

is the game booting up?
are you able to play a game but just no switched lights, only the general illumination?

yes

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Check for voltage on the bare feature light power wire under the playfield. Should be 6 vdc or so.

will do.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If I'm measuring correctly, between the bare wire and ground, I'm getting .31VDC

That can't be good.

#7 2 years ago

Controlled lamp circuit on your rectifier board is likely out either the fuse is blown or the bridge rectifier is bad.

Start there.... voltage source and trace to the end. You've done the end (on the playfield) so go back to the start and find out where the voltage drops.

It could be as simple as the fuse blown or the fuse holder.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Controlled lamp circuit on your rectifier board is likely out either the fuse is blown or the bridge rectifier is bad.

All fuses are good.

I was thinking bridge rectifier. Funny thing though.....I don't see one on the rectifier board. Is it mounted underneath?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

All fuses are good.
I was thinking bridge rectifier. Funny thing though.....I don't see one on the rectifier board. Is it mounted underneath?

Yep.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#10 2 years ago

Thank you,

I thought I was going nuts! Of course I just may be doing that as well. It'll take me a few days before I can get to test the bridge rectifier, Should I check for voltage at transformer lug 1st?

Update: As I have no patience.....I was able to get to the machine and check the bridges. One resistor on one bridge is bad.

#11 2 years ago

crap....

I replaced the bad BR. Now, I don't get displays, am unable to coin up and the test button does nothing. I've got man Altek MPU, the self test LED continually flashes.

No voltage at TP5 on rectifier board...........

Looking at the schematic, I see that the 43VDC test point come directly from the BR2 + terminal (it's BR1 that I changed) Well, back to the drawing board.

#12 2 years ago

with the machine unplugged from the wall, check your fuse holders, if you can rotate a fuse with you fingers with fuse clips are too loose.

also check you put the plugs back on correctly.
make sure you haven't got the two 9 pin square plugs mixed up, playfield and backbox.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

with the machine unplugged from the wall, check your fuse holders, if you can rotate a fuse with you fingers with fuse clips are too loose.

Not loose. continuity across all holders.

Quoted from Rikoshay:

also check you put the plugs back on correctly.
make sure you haven't got the two 9 pin square plugs mixed up, playfield and backbox.

Connectors back correctly. only ones removed were on the rectifier board and they are marked with a sharpie.

No voltage on J5 across green and orange wires (if I'm measuring correctly)

Edit: as a matter of fact, the only test point that is accurate on the board is TP1.

#14 2 years ago

the next step i'd do is start at the beginning, that being the AC out of the transformer.

you say no voltage across J5 green and orange, which should be 49VAC.

i'd be going back to the transformer and testing the AC voltages without any load.

have you checked your interlock switch by the front of the door?

#15 2 years ago

I ordered a new rectifier board. I figured "let's start with a known entity"

#16 2 years ago

UPDATE.

New rectifier board installed. Still no 43VDC (or 43VAC either)

Would the next step be to check the transformer? If so, how. The lugs are wrapped and seem inaccessible without some surgery. Also, where to go if the transformer is bad? I've never seen a transformer go bad, I don't smell anything or see any visible evidence that this one is shot. The machine hd 43VDC, until I changed a bad bridge rectifier on the rectifier board. How would doing that blow the transformer?

TIA

#17 2 years ago

I'm going to start a new thread for this......

TY

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-speakeasy-no-control-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.