Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm working on an MPU on a Bally Speakeasy that's got me stumped. I've got everything working now but when I play a game, there are two switches (14 & 26) that when activated, it just keeps activating the switch, adding the points and never stops, even once the ball hits the trough switch. I checked the diodes and the cap on the switches and they are good. Just to make sure it was the board I swapped in an Altek MPU and everything worked fine.

In switch test, both switches act as they should and don't keep activating like they do during a game.

The connectors at J2 and J3 have been repinned. I also went over all the diodes and resistors off from J2 and they look good. I swapped U10 and U11 but that made no difference. I also swapped in a working 6800 at U9 but no change.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

#2 7 years ago

What happens when you actually hold either of those two switches down for say 10 seconds?

Can you try this: activate switch 14 or 26 during gameplay and as it starts the non-stop scoring, pull out J2 from the MPU board. This disconnects all the playfield switches. Give it a minute or so to see if it stops scoring.

During game play the code is designed to respond to closed switches only once to prevent what you're seeing. Drop targets (probably your flyaway targets too) are a good example. You can try it yourself by pressing and holding any other switch.

Looking at the game code of an older Bally, I can see where it changes a flag that says "about to process switch X, don't process it again until it's been released and activated again". But there's nothing there that would be specific to certain switches.
My only completely wild guess is that your display interrupt generator is running way too often (fast) and not allowing the game code to reach the point where it clears that flag.
The display interrupt generator comes from pin 3 of the 555 timer chip (U12) on the MPU board. If you have the equipment, measure the frequency. It should be about 320Hz.

#3 7 years ago

If I unplug J2 once the game starts non-stop scoring, it keeps on going. I dug thru the switch area of the MPU and couldn't find any bad resistors, caps or diodes. All traces look good as well.

I don't have much in the way of test equipment. A DMM and logic probe is the best I've got. If the 555 timer was at fault, wouldn't more than just these 2 switches be causing issues?

Is there any chance the dip switch banks could cause any weird issues like this? The reason I ask is that I've set the dip switches to make the game 3 balls per play (dips 31 and 32 to Off). When I start a game, it will say 3 balls to play and as soon as a switch is hit, it will move to 2 balls to play. Then when the 1st ball drains, it will stay at 2 balls to play until the first switch is hit, then it will say 1 ball to play and when that second ball drains, it ends the game.

#4 7 years ago

If I set the dips to 2 balls per play, it ends the game after 1 ball. So something is causing the MPU to think the game is over 1 ball short then what it's set to.

#5 7 years ago

I probably should have mentioned that this is a Stern MPU-200 with (2) 2732 roms. With help from Schudel5 tonight, we determined that the second 5101 at U13 was causing the problem. The Bally code is supposed to ignore the chip at U13 on a MPU-200 but after removing it, the ball count worked properly and switches 14 and 26 are no longer causing the game to go into a never ending adding of points. Thanks!

#6 7 years ago

Good to hear you sorted it.

There are places in the Bally code where it masks out data in the 5101 memory area that isn't populated (i.e. data bits 0-3). But there are other bits of code that don't mask it because they know it doesn't exist. So it can cause weird effects when suddenly there is a memory there returning unexpected data.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-speakeasy-mpu-switch-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.