(Topic ID: 312812)

Bally Space Time One Player Game Plays Four Players

By BleacherBum

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0CAEB788-C271-490C-8684-C14CB291251D (resized).jpeg
    Space Time Ball Count (resized).jpg
    Bally_1972_Space_Time_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf (PDF preview)
    Bally_1972_Space_Time_Reproduction_Installation_And_General_Game_Operation_Instructions.pdf (PDF preview)
    #1 2 years ago

I am back once again asking for help with my Bally Space Time. I having problems with number of players. A one player game is always a four player game. I have looked the forums but, didn’t find a solution. Any suggestion on what to check will be greatly appreciated. I have attached the start-up procedure and schematics.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM:
    If I coin up one player game:
    * the one player lights and starts a game as is should.
    * After the 1st ball drains instead of going to ball two-player one, the scoring goes to player 2-ball one (player up unit advance form. Player one position to player 2 position).
    * The ball drains and the scoring advances to player three-ball one.
    * The ball drains and player four-ball 1 is now scoring.
    * Once all four players have completed ball one the ball count advances to ball two.
    * This repeats under the end of player four last ball
    * At the end of the last ball, game over lights up.
    * The reset cycle functions as expected.

Now if I coin up a two player game, it is a true two player game. The same for three or four player game. A one player game is always four player.

OBSERVATIONS:
    * All steppers have been recently clean and freely functioning.
    * I have not found any loose wires or solder slashes
    * Steppers return to zero position on reset.
    * Credits subtracted correctly for 2, 3, 4 players game. Only one credit is subtracted for a one player game despite playing as a four player game.

Bally_1972_Space_Time_Reproduction_Installation_And_General_Game_Operation_Instructions.pdfBally_1972_Space_Time_Reproduction_Installation_And_General_Game_Operation_Instructions.pdfBally_1972_Space_Time_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdfBally_1972_Space_Time_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf
    #2 2 years ago

The coin unit is not resetting. The coin unit keeps track of how many coins (players) are supposed to play. Look at the lights on the back glass showing 1 to 4 can play. You can pull reset solenoid on coin unit my hand and see lights change. The spider wheel should turn. I made a video showing Space Time repair and should help you rebuilt coin unit

#3 2 years ago

I think there's an issue with your Coin Unit too. On a one player game the path in red is what should fire the Ball Count Unit Step Up solenoid:
    Space Time Ball Count (resized).jpgSpace Time Ball Count (resized).jpg
    If that path through the Coin Unit isn't working, the Player Up unit advances instead until it reaches player 4 before the Ball Count unit advances. The player 2 and 3 positions of the Coin Unit seem to be working fine but something's not right with the wiper or contact or reset position of the player 1 position.

/Mark

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

I think there's an issue with your Coin Unit too.

Thanks, Mark and Kent. I give the Coin Unit a good going over this afternoon.

Phil

#5 2 years ago

Fixed!

I was having a hard time figuring out how to get the spider arms to reset to the home position. Finally figured it out (with Mark’s and Kent’s input). I had everything on the Coin Unit stepper correctly but, the arm that stops the sprocket at the home position had been installed on the wrong side of the bracket which kept the spiders from resetting correctly. I moved the stop ram to the other side of the bracket which, allowed the spiders to reset to the 1 position. Now it works correctly. Many thanks again for Mark’s and Kent’s help.

0CAEB788-C271-490C-8684-C14CB291251D (resized).jpeg0CAEB788-C271-490C-8684-C14CB291251D (resized).jpeg
    #6 2 years ago
    Quoted from BleacherBum:

Fixed!
    I was having a hard time figuring out how to get the spider arms to reset to the home position. Finally figured it out (with Mark’s and Kent’s input). I had everything on the Coin Unit stepper correctly but, the arm that stops the sprocket at the home position had been installed on the wrong side of the bracket which kept the spiders from resetting correctly. I moved the stop ram to the other side of the bracket which, allowed the spiders to reset to the 1 position. Now it works correctly. Many thanks again for Mark’s and Kent’s help.[quoted image]

BleacherBum That has happened to me many times. Glad your machine is up and running. See if you can beat my high score.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-space-time-one-player-game-plays-four-players and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.