Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jumper-Cable-Tests.PDF (PDF preview)
IMG_2927.JPG
IMG_2926.JPG
Bally_1972_Space_Time_Schematic_Diagram_continuous_submitted_by_g_w_van_den_Brink.pdf (PDF preview)
Space Timev2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rfranklin66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first post on Pinside ! Just got my first Pin a childhood favorite Space Time. Got it via Ebay and it has numerous issues but still is fun to play. The first one that I am trying to solve is the extra ball target. I am wondering how one is able to activate the Extra Ball functionality during play. Target works when hit and you get 100 points, however I am unable to activate the extra ball when lit during play (see attached). I was able to manually activate it by activating the Extra Ball Relay inside the machine, the Shoot Again When Lit went on as did the "Same Player Shoots Again" in the back glass.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Also the players, ball in play, and player up lights on backglass do not work but actual functionality does. I only mentioned this because perhaps this might be related to the above. For now want to keep it simple by focusing on Extra Ball

Space Timev2.jpgSpace Timev2.jpg
#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the quick response. Makes sense. That's exactly it, if I knew what set off the extra ball functionality then I could trouble shoot. Interesting that you mention the pop bumper as these do not work correctly currently two are always lit and score 100 while the other two are always unlit and score 10. Took a look at over the weekend and they look fine, the bulbs all lite on start, but the scoring does not change. I still have a lot of learning to come up to speed, one day a time I attached schematic hoping that may help.

Bally_1972_Space_Time_Schematic_Diagram_continuous_submitted_by_g_w_van_den_Brink.pdfBally_1972_Space_Time_Schematic_Diagram_continuous_submitted_by_g_w_van_den_Brink.pdf
#6 8 years ago

Thank you that would explain a lot. Newbie question, where would I find the Match Coil? On the schematic (A-B, 8-10) is only place I can see that mentions match. When I look into the machine I can't find anything that mentions Match.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks I have strong feeling that this is the match stepper (see pictures). I took picture of the front and back of the stepper the coil looks burned out and for a while only the match number that lit up was 70. You would get a free game when you matched. So that would make sense since thinking that match stepper was not moving. I did something over the weekend and now almost all of the backfield playfield lights do not work including match, but that is a problem for another day .

Do you think this is the match stepper and I should order and replace coil. Is there a simple way to test if coil is burned out ?

IMG_2926.JPGIMG_2926.JPG
IMG_2927.JPGIMG_2927.JPG

#10 8 years ago

Thank you so much. I will keep you informed. I was starting to get frustrated but feel there may be a light at the end of the tunnel (Space Time Pun) lol. I will order parts and have purchased fuses so will see if that fixes lights issue.

#12 8 years ago

Thanks you for all your input. More leads to check out. I am hoping replacing coil solves all issues. I have manually manipulated match stepper and it appears to be working in good order.

I have ordered my solder iron and all replacements parts which will be needed sometime in future so I am sure nothing will go to waste.

Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Take a jumper-cable and connect one side if a "Coil-of-a-Chime" to one side of the "Coil-of-the-Match-Unit". With a second jumper-cable connect the other side of "Coil-of-a-Chime" (of course the same Chime) to the other side of the "Coil-of-the-Match-Unit". You have these two coils mounted "parallell"

Not exactly understanding above. What is a "Coil-of-a-Chime", could you explain or if possible show a picture/drawing of what you mean.

The match did work until recently, match number was always 70 so if you matched that you did receive a free game. I think I blew fuse the other day, and all lights are out on backboard except one section, plan to try and fix tomorrow. Hoping this at least bring back 70, or since I moved perhaps another number.

#14 8 years ago

Hey Rolf,

Apologize for the the delay in responding.

Thank you for an excellent description. Super helpful. I now have to purchase Jumper cable. I am building out my tool/parts chest with troubleshooting this issue If I am understanding above technique correctly what you are describing above could be used to troubleshoot parts (Match Coil) vs. wiring/other issue somewhere down the line in the schematic. That is it is a generic trouble shooting technique. Very useful tip for a newbie like me !

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Finally rfranklin66 (Your No-Match-Unit-Coil):
Pull the Line-Cord. Make a connection "N-1" (a Jumper-Cable) and make (another Jumper-Cable) the connection "N-2". Plug-in the Line-cord, start a game -> make (10) Points -> the 10-Point-Chime rings -> and the No-Match-Unit ??? If it does not move: The coil of the No-Match-Unit is bad -> replace it. If the No-Match-Unit steps by now -> Make Test-O-1 / -O-2 (Maybe make tests similar to "E", "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K", "L".

Thanks so much for all this information. As I have never made connection like this before, I will see if I can figure it out, if not I will post a picture of the connections I made to make sure I got right. I hope to have time this weekend to attempt. I have all the parts except alligator clips which I plan to get this weekend as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Myrtle Beach, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rfranklin66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-space-time-extra-ball-functionality?tu=rfranklin66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.