You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190523_103752 (resized).jpg
Space Time Credit Unit step up (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello all,

I just recently acquired a Bally Space Time, and everything seemed to be working fine with the machine until I manually reset the credit counter and fired it up.

When pressing the credit button, the score reels go through their reset sequence, but for every tick, the knocker also activates and a credit is added to the machine. Same thing also happens when scoring 5000 point values; a credit is added along with a knock for every tick (not exactly sure about lower values, but the 100 doesn't seem to do it).

I have a feeling the problem is localized to the score motor, since I think it also controls the score reel reset. Before I go in and start trying to mess with things, I wanted to get some guidance from you guys to see what the potential problem might be.

The person I bought it from mentioned that a previous owner wired it for free play. Maybe his rewiring did this?

I would really appreciate any direction on how to fix this. I want to revert everything on the machine back to the original coin-op configuration.

Thank you.

#2 4 years ago

Can you elaborate on what you did to the Credit Unit? If it's wired for free play you shouldn't need to mess with the Credit Unit.

The knocker fires every time a credit is added so that is behaving as it should. You'll need to experiment a little more to better characterize the problem. Does the Credit Unit always advance when the 1000 point relay fires? Does it do that for all four players? Does the Credit Unit advance for 10 of 100 points?

It sounds like there could be a short between the wire that fires the 1000 point relay, or one of the 1000 point score reels and the wire that fires the Credit Unit but that would take some careful examination on your part since it won't be on the schematic.

/Mark

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Can you elaborate on what you did to the Credit Unit? If it's wired for free play you shouldn't need to mess with the Credit Unit.
The knocker fires every time a credit is added so that is behaving as it should. You'll need to experiment a little more to better characterize the problem. Does the Credit Unit always advance when the 1000 point relay fires? Does it do that for all four players? Does the Credit Unit advance for 10 of 100 points?
It sounds like there could be a short between the wire that fires the 1000 point relay, or one of the 1000 point score reels and the wire that fires the Credit Unit but that would take some careful examination on your part since it won't be on the schematic.
/Mark

Thanks Mark,

I just manually stepped it down to 1 credit; it was sitting at its max of 25 credits.
Good to know the knocker is behaving normally.

So I did some investigation, and it seems like it's not the 1000 point relay or any point relays after all; it's the collect tunnel value that activates it.
Any time I press a collect tunnel switch it consistently adds 6 credits regardless of what the tunnel value actually is. It also adds 6 credits when cycling between players.

It seems like every revolution of the score motor is adding 6 credits no matter what.

Kevin

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenasade:

It seems like every revolution of the score motor is adding 6 credits no matter what.

Bingo. Check it out:
Space Time Credit Unit step up (resized).jpgSpace Time Credit Unit step up (resized).jpg
I bet either the 2nd or 3rd coin chute switch is stuck closed. If that's true, every time the Score Motor turns, the 6 pulses generated by the Score Motor 11A switch all get through to the Credit Unit step up solenoid.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I bet either the 2nd or 3rd coin chute switch is stuck closed. If that's true, every time the Score Motor turns, the 6 pulses generated by the Score Motor 11A switch all get through to the Credit Unit step up solenoid.

I think I found the culprit. There's a bit of solder shorting one of the switches on the 2nd coin chute relay. I'll try removing it later and seeing if the problem goes away.

Thanks Mark!
IMG_20190523_103752 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_103752 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Myrtle Beach, SC
750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-space-time-adds-credits-when-reel-reset-and-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.