(Topic ID: 25089)

Space invaders Owners Club And Restorations Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 660 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 days ago by Bundy
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

si (resized).jpg
IMG_4183 (resized).jpeg
Bally-Parts-Catalog-198040 copy (resized).jpg
100_6926 (resized).JPG
100_6927 (resized).JPG
20240119_134744 (resized).jpg
20240106_184013 (resized).jpg
20240106_184008 (resized).jpg
20240106_184001 (resized).jpg
20240106_183956 (resized).jpg
20240106_183947 (resized).jpg
20240106_183928 (resized).jpg
20240106_183853 (resized).jpg
20240106_183843 (resized).jpg
20240106_184559 (resized).jpg
20240106_122058 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fiatsrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#129 7 years ago

I'm in. I just purchased one for $50! It is truly a "barn find" (actually, it was in a machine shed on a farm) complete with mouse nests on the playfield. It had some "cow medicine" (per the seller) placed on the playfield glass that subsequently leaked into the cabinet (lock down mechanism, coin door and coin box). The electronics are all good except for some minor battery acid damage that I will fix (I also have a spare Alltek board and a Fixit, just in case). The playfield has some wear and the cabinet has some "patina", but the backglass is perfect. It should be a fun project.

IMG_1252 (resized).JPGIMG_1252 (resized).JPG

IMG_1255 (resized).JPGIMG_1255 (resized).JPG

IMG_1267 (resized).JPGIMG_1267 (resized).JPG

IMG_1251 (resized).JPGIMG_1251 (resized).JPG

IMG_1256 (resized).JPGIMG_1256 (resized).JPG

IMG_1250 (resized).JPGIMG_1250 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#131 7 years ago
Quoted from DrainsAddiction:

I still have an intermittent problem with one of the displays, which I think is a faulty BCD->digital converter chip.

If the displays have at least some sign of a glow or flicker (they are not outgassed), they can be repaired very easily. If you have an issue with the displays, always replace the decoder chip first (be sure to install a socket). It is also very easy to test all of the SCRs with a digital multimeter set to continuity (check YouTube). Replace any and all that don't read correctly and the display will work well (assuming it doesn't have burn spots from years of too high voltage). Always adjust the display voltage on the solenoid driver board to 175 vdc. That will allow your displays to live a longer, more productive life (lotsa pinball). Have fun!

2 weeks later
#142 7 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I just put a rottendog rectifier board in my Space invaders. I am getting the wrong voltage at Test Point 1. It should be 5.4 vdc but it is 44vdc same as test point 5. I must have installed it wrong, but I can't figure out what I did. The old one was a mess of course, but it did play at one time. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
aaron

As suggested earlier, recheck your wiring to make sure it is correct. If so, plug in connector J2 and leave the others unplugged. Turn on the power and check the voltages at each of the header pins on J1 and J3 (per the wiring key posted earlier in this thread). If you are getting 44vdc at TP5, you should also incorrectly have that reading at J3-6 and J1-7 (they should correctly be about 6 vdc), which means you have a short somewhere on your board. With the power turned off, check for continuity between pins J1-7 and J1-6. There should be none. If there is continuity (a short), check to see if a piece of solder has lodged itself under the plastic of the header pin and shorted the two pins or maybe Rottendog did a poor job of soldering and QC. If that is OK (no continuity), go upstream from there in the schematic and look for shorts between the 44 volt circuit and the 6.5 volt circuit (check the schematic). Good luck!

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

If you are getting 44vdc at TP5, you should also incorrectly have that reading at J3-6 and J1-7 (they should correctly be about 6 vdc), which means you have a short somewhere on your board.

Oops. I meant "If you are getting 44vdc at TP1, ...."

Again, good luck.

#145 7 years ago

How to Flatten Playfield Plastic! (done on really warped Bally Space Invaders plastic)

I have been looking for a good way to flatten playfield plastic and I believe I have done it. In the past, I have used a heat gun to heat them and then hold them in position (by hand) until they cooled. It worked kinda-sorta. I read one guy's method was to sandwich them between plates of glass and then place them in the oven at 150 degrees (that seemed to work well but requires glass cut-to-size for the oven). Others suggested putting them between two old playfield glasses and placing them in the hot sun on a 100 degree day (only works for a handful of days during the year). I took a combination approach.

I first straightened them kinda-sorta with a heat gun (they were very warped). Next, I put them between two pieces of old playfield glass that were thoroughly cleaned and suspended off of the ground (see the pictures). A 1500 watt ceramic heater was placed underneath about 1 inch from the surface of the glass and turned on HIGH. I left it in place long enough for an area to become hot-to-the-touch and then moved it slightly to an adjacent area under the plastic. I really didn't keep track of the time in one spot, but it didn't appear that it would ever get too hot to ruin the plastic (if anyone tests that theory, please let me know the results). Once the entire plastic had been heated, I moved it to the "cool" end of the glass to be pressed flat while it cooled (you can see the large piece in the picture at the end cooling down). In the future, I will place some weight at each end of the glass to keep the "sandwich" tight. The results were better than I could have imagined.

IMG_1396 (resized).JPGIMG_1396 (resized).JPG

IMG_1394 (resized).JPGIMG_1394 (resized).JPG

IMG_1395 (resized).JPGIMG_1395 (resized).JPG

IMG_1398 (resized).JPGIMG_1398 (resized).JPG

IMG_1399 (resized).JPGIMG_1399 (resized).JPG

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Good idea, I'll have to try that. Maybe it's because of the large size of the two rear ones but Space Invaders plastics are a real bear to flatten, although I've had success with others using the hot air gun before.

The piece in the last two pictures is the large one from the upper-left side. It ended up very straight. I was thrilled!

#151 7 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

A few days to let the adhesive set and I will throw on some waxing and buffing. After that its rebuild city!

I am going to do an overlay on an EBD playfield this winter. Does it need to be clearcoated or have mylar applied to protect it? One other option is the clear polycarbonate protectors from SSpruch Spielautomaten. Or, is waxing adequate to fend off wear to the overlay? It just seems like it would need something to keep it protected. Thoughts?

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Mine was printed and then a clear layer put over it so the ball will never touch the ink. As long as I keep it clean and waxed it should last a good long time.

Where did you get your overlay? I purchased mine from Classic Arcades but I don't know much about how it's made.

1 week later
#164 7 years ago

Does anyone have a good playfield scan of SI in PDF format? Please PM me if you do.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Thanks guys. I found the pages on the schematic and was going to check the voltages there. The pictures are great! I really appreciate those. I'll give it another go tomorrow.
thanks,

Did you get your rectifier board to work properly?

1 year later
#250 6 years ago
Quoted from MarcelG:

Hello. I am seeking a 1 scan of the Space Invaders playfield, or at least the area between the bonus chamber and the flippers.
Thank you.

Send me a PM with an email address. I have a huge PDF file that I think is pretty decent. You might have to convert it to jpeg (or something else) and do some color work to get a decent match.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fiatsrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-space-invaders-playfield-restoration?tu=fiatsrus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.