(Topic ID: 25089)

Space invaders Owners Club And Restorations Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 660 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 days ago by Bundy
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

si (resized).jpg
IMG_4183 (resized).jpeg
Bally-Parts-Catalog-198040 copy (resized).jpg
100_6926 (resized).JPG
100_6927 (resized).JPG
20240119_134744 (resized).jpg
20240106_184013 (resized).jpg
20240106_184008 (resized).jpg
20240106_184001 (resized).jpg
20240106_183956 (resized).jpg
20240106_183947 (resized).jpg
20240106_183928 (resized).jpg
20240106_183853 (resized).jpg
20240106_183843 (resized).jpg
20240106_184559 (resized).jpg
20240106_122058 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mancave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#446 2 years ago

Hi Guys, i've been asked by the son of a family friend to get his Spacey machine up and going again (was his dads and was in a games room in their holiday flats) Unfortunately this poor gal has been non working for at least 22 years that they can recall so it's in dire need of some love. The guy just wants to get this running, he's not interested in any of the aesthetics and also wants to do it as cheap as possible so a full restore is not the option (including no new plastics etc) The boards will all have to be sent away for repairs but in the meantime i was going through the basics of what i needed under the playfield. The most obvious was the flipper switches, as you can see by the pics they are totally stuffed/missing bits. I bought some ones from Marco's (from the specific Space Invaders section) but after looking through this thread i'm not sure they will be what i need for the job. Also wondering about the cab flipper switches too as the one's on this machine are busted.
There will be a few unknowns i'm sure with this so until i have the boards up and running i'm just dealing with the obvious stuff first.
Any help with the switch part identification and/or the right part numbers will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!!

DSC05605 (resized).JPGDSC05605 (resized).JPGDSC05606 (resized).JPGDSC05606 (resized).JPGDSC05607 (resized).JPGDSC05607 (resized).JPGDSC05643 (resized).JPGDSC05643 (resized).JPGDSC05644 (resized).JPGDSC05644 (resized).JPGDSC05645 (resized).JPGDSC05645 (resized).JPGDSC05646 (resized).JPGDSC05646 (resized).JPGDSC05647 (resized).JPGDSC05647 (resized).JPGDSC05648 (resized).JPGDSC05648 (resized).JPGDSC05649 (resized).JPGDSC05649 (resized).JPG
#448 2 years ago

Thanks for the link Vid but that doesn't incorporate the secondary EOS switch for the upper flippers?? I wanted to rebuild the full flipper mechs on this machine but he really doesn't want to spend the money on it to go that far, despite me telling him the flippers could be potentially weak and or crappy. There's a LOT of things i would like to do to this machine to give it the proper attention it deserves but for now he's only setting aside a budget for bare bones work and a lot of that budget will most likely be tied up in the circuit board repair. I identified the obvious stuff just looking at the underneath and top of the PF so at this stage it's only EOS switches for the flipper mech, Cab flipper switches, full rubber kit, 1 target from the left bank (busted off underneath) and both upper flipper bats are cracked (virtually falling apart) As mentioned before there's probably going to be heaps of things that will need adjustment or repair and wont become apparent until i get the boards up and running but for now the parts mentioned are the obvious stuff needing replacement.

#450 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can see incorrect mechanical parts installed on the flipper mechs, even from the internet.

It's a huge playfield, it's going to need fully functional, powerful flippers

On the main flippers, the inner switch is Normally Closed (EOS), the outer is Normally Open. Look on schematic if this is unclear

On the small flippers, you only have the Normally Closed EOS switches

Well now i am confused
Which mechanical parts are you referring too??
I'm aware the mechs should be rebuilt but as mentioned the guy wants to be tight so until the time comes i can show how weak the flippers will most likely be then i won't be rebuilding them.
I understand that the inner switch is normally closed and the outer is normally open but the link you provided to the rebuilt mech doesn't have a secondary switch on it, only the inner?? unless i'm totally missing something (apologies if that's the case) My question was if the 2 EOS switches i bought are usable as the one's i've seen in this thread look different (mainly the normally closed one)
Not sure what you mean about the small flippers?? On this machine i have, the left upper has the blades busted completely off the secondary switch but the stack is there and the right is damaged but is on the mech.
Do you mean that this machine doesn't normally have the secondary normally open EOS switch on the upper flipper mechs?

#452 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

On the main lower flippers, just stack the two switches together like this - note the small upper flippers also have a secondary switch which are low current switch matrix contact switches and all they do is trigger a sound effect - no effect on game play.

Ok cool so those 2 together will be fine for the lower mechs, that's how i was thinking they would go together. Gotcha with the uppers, i had read up about that but can these same 2 EOS switches still be used or will i need a different secondary normally open?

#454 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

however the secondary normally open switch on the upper mini flippers are just low current (gold contact) switch matrix switches that have an isolation diode like all other playfield switches. All these do is trigger a sound effect.

Thanks!! Do you have a part number for those ones? A pic of one on a machine would be extra helpful too if that's possible.

#456 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The Bally parts catalog says:
Right upper flipper switch part number: ASW-A1-202
Left upper flipper switch part number: ASW-A1-203

Sorry, I don't have this machine but a picture of the right upper mini flipper switch mech was posted near the top of page 9:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-space-invaders-playfield-restoration/page/9#post-6009274

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I went looking for those switches but seems no one has them anymore
The only one i could find that was similar was this one >>
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/ASE-2911-17
Not sure if they would work but as you mentioned it's not entirely necessary for the game anyway so perhaps for now i'll just leave that.

#458 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Switch "SW-1A-130" might also do the job.

Must be costing you a fortune getting them internationally - have you tried local?

Yeah i can get that particular switch locally (SW-1A-130) and i think that one will work. The side wire attachment is separate from the other blades so that is pretty much identical to the originals and i do have spare diodes. Some of the parts i've had to source from Marcos and a few locally but so far hasn't been too bad luckily. Cheers and thanks again for the help, much appreciated!!. I'll probably run into a few issues once the boards are all repaired so don't be surprised if i ask some more questions

4 months later
#480 1 year ago

I'm closer to getting this old machine up and running again, although still waiting for all the boards to come back. I've re-pinned all the board connectors and then realised i might as well re-pin all the molex block connectors on the wiring looms also. Considering the machine has been non working for over 20 years seems silly to do the board connectors and not the others. Before i order the pins for these does anyone know if they are the .062 size?? I know they are smaller than the .093 standard size but i think there's a mid size too (.084)?? I just want to be sure before i order some pins.

#482 1 year ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

.062 on the left, .084 on the right.

Cheers, yeah i ended up finding some .062 pins in my stash which i didn't even know i had and the connectors are definitely that size. Thanks!!

2 months later
#496 1 year ago

Hi Guys, i should have the repaired boards back for this machine next week so was just looking at what else i needed to do. I've re-pinned all the board connectors and the block style molex connectors also but had left the 3 rectifier board connectors. J2 and J3 are no worries as all the wires were still intact in the connectors but J1 had a couple of wires removed that had been dodgy soldered to the fuse clip holders.
Could someone please have a look at the J1 connector on their rectifier board and confirm these wire colours in their right pin places. Pin numbers are as marked on the board but should be Pin 1 > 9 from the left to the right of the cab.
Pin 1 = White
Pin 2 = Green
Pins 3/4 = Blank
Pin 5 = Light Brown (could be viewed as Orange also)
Pin 6 = Dark Brown
Pin 7 = Blue
Pin 8 = Red
Pin 9 = Blue
On the machine the Red and Light Brown (Orange) wires were the one's removed from the connector and soldered to the fuse clips.
I just want to be sure i have it right, don't wanna fry up the nicely repaired boards
Thanks in advance!!

#498 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

The physical connector is numbered with pin 1 on the very left and pin 9 on the very right. So:
Pin 1 - Gen. Ill. Return, (white)
Pin 2 - Gen. Ill. Return, (green)
Pin 3 - spare
Pin 4 - key
Pin 5 - Gen. Ill. Bus, (orange)
Pin 6 - Solenoid Bus, (brown)
Pin 7 - Switched Ill. Bus, (blue)
Pin 8 - Gen. Ill. Bus, (red)
Pin 9 - Switched Ill. Bus, (blue)

AWESOME, TY!!! that confirms what i thought it was yep, i just didn't want to take any chances with it MUCH appreciated!!

3 weeks later
#499 1 year ago

Need a little help here again Attached the newly repaired boards into the machine today and the machines not booting. Doesn't appear to be getting any power to the MPU so checked the test points on the solenoid driver board and it's not getting any 12V or 5V readings (the 190V and 43V tests ok though)
The rectifier test points are ok across the board so i know it's somewhere in the wiring or connectors, either wire breakage or connector pin issues (perhaps stuffed up a couple of crimps)
Does anyone know which connector/s brings in 12V and 5V from the rectifier board to the solenoid board and which pin/wire colour?
Assume it's one of the .156 connectors J1, J2 or J5 just having trouble deciphering the schematic

#501 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Rectifier J3pin 8 is 11.9 vdc input for the 5vdc regulator on the SDB. It goes into the SDB at J3 pin 12, and it also goes out to the MPU from J3 pin 11

5 volts goes to the MPU from SDB J3 pins 14 & 15

Cheers!! It's getting very early in the morning here so i will check continuity on those pins later today.
Much appreciated!!

3 weeks later
#502 1 year ago

Bit of an update on the wiring. Checked the J3 connector and low and behold there's no wire at pin 8, that will bloody do it
After checking out the J3 pin on the driver board and seeing it's an orange wire i inspected the bundle of orange wires capped off on the loom near the rectifier board and i'm thinking to myself...Yeah it will be one of you for sure!!
Here's the handy part - started trying to get that plastic cap off the bundle and 1 orange wire pops out so i thought, wouldn't it be lucky AF if that's the one needed? Check continuity back to J3 on the driver board and BINGO!!!
Machine is pretty much all working except 1 pop bumper (has a blown cap on the switch) and 1 roll over switch (suspect also a blown cap) and about 10 globe sockets will need replacing as they are totally loose and knackered. Got a set of LED displays coming also as it works out cheaper than replacing with 2nd hand original style displays (3 of the 5 were cactus apparently, not just the boards needing repair)
I will chuck up some pics when i get it all sorted but visually it's nothing special as the guy i'm doing this for just doesn't want to spend bugger all money on it. I was happy to discover that for all those connectors i refreshed it appears i didn't stuff any up, so that was a bonus considering i'd never done a full machines worth like that before
Thanks for all the help so far guys, very much appreciated!!

DSC05894 (resized).JPGDSC05894 (resized).JPGDSC05895 (resized).JPGDSC05895 (resized).JPG
9 months later
#576 7 months ago

Maybe a shorted globe socket??

2 months later
#593 4 months ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Did an inspection with a magnifying glass, also pulled on each one a little, and the thinner wires are still secured to the lugs, nor are they broken between the lug and the coil windings. Is there a chance that the wire may have broken somewhere inside the windings?

Is there a diode on those coils? I can't recall because it's been quite some months since i worked on a family friends machine.

1 week later
#603 4 months ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Edit: dammit, it's chattering again, with a brand new coil. There's nothing else else that would cause this?

That was why i was asking about the diode on the coil. I had a Spy Hunter project at one stage that had a shot gunning flipper coil and it ended up being a diode. Replaced with a new coil and it was fine after that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mancave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-space-invaders-playfield-restoration?tu=Mancave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.