(Topic ID: 25089)

Space invaders Owners Club And Restorations Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 660 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 days ago by Bundy
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

si (resized).jpg
IMG_4183 (resized).jpeg
Bally-Parts-Catalog-198040 copy (resized).jpg
100_6926 (resized).JPG
100_6927 (resized).JPG
20240119_134744 (resized).jpg
20240106_184013 (resized).jpg
20240106_184008 (resized).jpg
20240106_184001 (resized).jpg
20240106_183956 (resized).jpg
20240106_183947 (resized).jpg
20240106_183928 (resized).jpg
20240106_183853 (resized).jpg
20240106_183843 (resized).jpg
20240106_184559 (resized).jpg
20240106_122058 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fourbyracer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#134 7 years ago

I havent seen one with mylar on it before other than little semi circle pieces that shipped with it if the user wanted to put them in front of the slings. I dont think a custom mylar playfield piece was available for that machine until many years after it was made and the cuts on that mylar doesnt look perfectly even--so it was probably custom made by the owner. So since it was probably put on over an already damaged playfield, the risk of pulling lots of paint is probably too great to justify.

So if it were mine, I would clean it up the best I could, polish the mylar as best you can, re-paint where the mylar was missing, and call it good. For me, it would either be that, or start over with the board and put a full overlay on it (which you can still see pop up for sale from time to time). Also CPR is collecting orders for a reproduction playfield--not sure how many more they have to have before they will build them but you might email them. Here is the page for the pre-order: http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html

Good luck!

Fourbyracer

Quoted from arqpuebla:

Hello to all.
Would like to share with you, my new acquisition.
It's in really good shape, some eventually wear as you can see on those pics.
I will restore it soon, but I can't decide if I go for a complete mylar removal (yes has mylar on all the pf) or maybe just clean /polish de mylar and wax .
What you would do?
Cheers!

1 week later
#156 7 years ago

With so many of the SI playfields worn to wood, I figured there never was factory mylar installed. After you guys saying yours did have it, I stand corrected. I got the original owners pack with my SI (that I bought used), and all it had was 1/2 circle sling mylar that came with it. Anybody know what the percentage was Mylar SI's to no Mylar SI's? Might be a good thing to have on IPMD since it doesnt say anything about it either way.

2 months later
#173 7 years ago
Quoted from asajay:

Thank you Mk1Mod0 for the information. I'll begin looking at those resources.
wayout440; I'm sorry the idea of replacing all the lamps with LEDs makes you sad. It's something I'm considering because they give off a lot of heat and use a lot of energy. I figure any reduction in power I can manage will only help the machine with a much longer life. I have hundreds of the correct bulbs that came with the machine so it's not like I'm short on them, and I -have- been replacing burnt bulbs. I'm not looking to create a wild color-crazy playfield with them, just wanting to cut down on the power. Even if I choose not to replace them all, I would certainly replace all those under the bumpers, to avoid burning the bumper caps again.
Asa Jay

I have an SI converted to just regular "retro look" LED's. The old 44 bulbs burned up the plastics and the LED's wont do that in my experience. Also worth it for less power draw on the whole system as you stated. I think it came out great and I built it with what I would call "First Generation" LED's from about 5 years ago. What is available today is heads and tails better, and cheaper. My hands down favorite LED bulb store is Comet. Here are some "Retro" ones that bring you very close to the 44's in terms of light and color. http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1retroled.htm
I actually went with the 2 LED version of these to brighten things up. I put some colored ones behind the backglass, and check out the "Matrix" system on that sight. That whole system gives you tons of possibilities from GI to backbox lighting, to flashers, to playfield lighting from the drain hole area. Lots of ways to improve on the board without going overboard in my opinion. I love my 2LED clear retro bulbs for the infinity lighting in the backbox. Finally also check out the 2 SMD (surface mounted diode) bulbs with the fluted lenses. Can give a pretty cool starburst effect to plastics if you like that.

Marco has a repro of the Susan B. Anthony sticker you are missing on the coin door. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/BLYSTKS

For Pop Bumper caps, they are on Ebay for the custom ones I have pictured. They are not perfect usually as far as printing, but a huge improvement over burned up original ones. I also replaced the top passive bumper caps with blank ones and then had custom space invader characters made to fit them. I put bullseye stickers on the targets, and also have the custom space invader character drop targets. Finally I wired in 2 new light sockets for the red eyes in the backglass. Very easy to do without permanent modifications nowadays with that Comet Matrix system. Lots of ways to go with it and lots of little things you can do to make it your own. Bottom line, have fun modding and playing it! Good luck!

SI (2) (resized).jpgSI (2) (resized).jpg

si pop 1 (resized).jpgsi pop 1 (resized).jpg

si pop 4 (resized).jpgsi pop 4 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#178 7 years ago

I have the Alltek MPU in mine but all other boards are numbers matching original. Entire game is converted to LED and I have not seen any flicker whatsoever. I would suggest putting in the LED's first and then changing lamp driver boards only if needed. There are also LED's out there that are anti flickering and anti ghosting so that is also an option--again only if you are having issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 10.00
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fourbyracer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-space-invaders-playfield-restoration?tu=Fourbyracer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.