Space invaders Owners Club And Restorations Fans Also Welcome.

(Topic ID: 25089)

Space invaders Owners Club And Restorations Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 260 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Breger1
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 168 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Untitled (resized).png
IMG_8486 (resized).JPG
IMG_8485 (resized).JPG
20170427_192127 (resized).jpg
20170507_210035 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170328-222841 (resized).png
5980166-24 (resized).jpg
20170118_231832_001_01 (resized).jpg
IMG_8311 (resized).JPG
IMG_8308 (resized).JPG
IMG_8801 (resized).JPG
IMG_8798 (resized).JPG
IMG_3368 (resized).JPG
IMG_3365 (resized).JPG
2016-07-31 15.00.59 (resized).jpg
aux-lamp-driver (resized).jpg

There are 260 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 6 months ago

I am happy to be in the SI club as of today, the machine I bought at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/62145 has arrived finally.

It has the typical playfield wear and battery acid damage, but I have been collecting parts for the last two weeks and will be doing a complete restore. I am replacing the playfield with a CPR repro when they are done later this year (hopefully), but otherwise everything else will be done this summer.

I am keeping this machine permanently, so yes I am aware I am dumping too much money into it but it's worth it to me. I vividly remember seeing this game for the first time when I was 9 years old and it scared the heck out of me lol. Loved dumping quarters into it and it's what got me into pinball lust. I have been looking for a project machine for a long long time, and when I saw the one posted here I jumped on it. Very happy to own it finally.

I will be posting restore photos and videos as I go.

5 months later
#252 17 days ago

picked up an SI about 3 weeks ago and looking forward to giving her a complete restore.

looking for feedback on the overlay install and how it's holding up to wear?

#253 17 days ago

Also a new owner, and I was wondering what guys have done to the bulb sockets on the "50" caps to keep them from flickering? I one that no matter what I do to try and secure the bulb, the damn thing just sits too loose, so when the pump bumper near it fires, that bulb gets loose and dark.

#254 17 days ago
Quoted from Captain-Flint:

Also a new owner, and I was wondering what guys have done to the bulb sockets on the "50" caps to keep them from flickering? I one that no matter what I do to try and secure the bulb, the damn thing just sits too loose, so when the pump bumper near it fires, that bulb gets loose and dark.

Sometimes a light squeeze with a pair of pliers (with the power off and the bulb removed!) anything more than that, and you are wasting your time. Replace the sockets at that point.

#255 12 days ago

I am happy to say that today I finally finished my Space Invaders refurbish project. The machine I received 5 months ago was completely dead, and actually set itself on fire twice during initial troubleshooting lol. After putting in all new boards, repinning and replacing all connectors, and chasing down several gremlins (namely, non-working coils caused by the box connector between head and playfield, and non-working passive scoring caused by a bent leaf switch) I now have a fully functional game! I decided to not do a full restore, too expensive and the wear on the machine has grown on me.

Learned a whole lot that will apply to my next project in Eight Ball Deluxe, and definitely happy to have my childhood favorite game

#256 8 days ago

I have a SI I've had for about a year. I've never had any issues until recently the horseshoe stopped scoring, it will intermittently pick up the ball rolling across. But if it is going it too fast the switch doesn't register or score. Therefore, I replaced the leaf switches, but it continues to do it, any thoughts? I made sure the switch gap was barely open to make sure the rollover button would register.

#257 8 days ago
Quoted from Breger1:

I have a SI I've had for about a year. I've never had any issues until recently the horseshoe stopped scoring, it will intermittently pick up the ball rolling across. But if it is going it too fast the switch doesn't register or score. Therefore, I replaced the leaf switches, but it continues to do it, any thoughts? I made sure the switch gap was barely open to make sure the rollover button would register.

The switches should have .047uF capacitors across them. Sometimes they are clipped off because if they became shorted they would stop the switch from working correctly. I noticed this problem on the horseshoe of my SI, but the targets as well. I added the caps to all the target switches as well as the horseshoe switches on SI for the same problem. The .047uF cap should be soldered across the switch. This allows the cap to "stretch" the pulse of a quick switch so the MPU has a better chance of reading the switch closure.

#258 8 days ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The switches should have .047uF capacitors across them. Sometimes they are clipped off because if they became shorted they would stop the switch from working correctly. I noticed this problem on the horseshoe of my SI, but the targets as well. I added the caps to all the target switches as well as the horseshoe switches on SI for the same problem. The .047uF cap should be soldered across the switch. This allows the cap to "stretch" the pulse of a quick switch so the MPU has a better chance of reading the switch closure.

thanks for the advice, I have read to cut the capacitors, but this makes sense. Which leads are the soldered to?

#259 8 days ago
Quoted from Breger1:

thanks for the advice, I have read to cut the capacitors, but this makes sense. Which leads are the soldered to?

One side to the cathode side of the diode, and the other side to the switch contact that is not connected to the diode at all.

Untitled (resized).png
#260 8 days ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Put new capacitors on the switches last night and works perfectly every time. thanks for the advice! It had been a frustration of mine and machine working great now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
1,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Milwaukee, WI
$ 21.00
There are 260 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside