Space invaders Owners Club And Restorations Fans Also Welcome.

(Topic ID: 25089)

Space invaders Owners Club And Restorations Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 270 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 171 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PHOTO_20190203_132651 (resized).jpg
PHOTO_20190203_132644 (resized).jpg
PHOTO_20190203_132622 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
IMG_8486 (resized).JPG
IMG_8485 (resized).JPG
20170427_192127 (resized).jpg
20170507_210035 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170328-222841 (resized).png
5980166-24 (resized).jpg
20170118_231832_001_01 (resized).jpg
IMG_8311 (resized).JPG
IMG_8308 (resized).JPG
IMG_8801 (resized).JPG
IMG_8798 (resized).JPG
IMG_3368 (resized).JPG

There are 270 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 3 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I can not believe how clean this game is. I did find one hack on the power supply, but I'll rebuild that later. Other than that, it looks exactly like a 35 year old HUO pinball machine should look!

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

IMG_3198.jpg
IMG_3163.JPG
IMG_3177.jpg
IMG_3172.JPG

#52 3 years ago

Wow that is nice

3 months later
#53 3 years ago

Greetings. I just had my SI shipped from my parents house to my house. We had recently moved.... and our previous house did not have room for it. Now we are working on finishing our basement..... where my SI will find it's permanent home. Hoping my 11 year old son and I can work on it together....

11742865_10153022769392157_1005926369236469548_n.jpg

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from perfectpixel47:

Greetings. I just had my SI shipped from my parents house to my house. We had recently moved.... and our previous house did not have room for it. Now we are working on finishing our basement..... where my SI will find it's permanent home. Hoping my 11 year old son and I can work on it together....

11742865_10153022769392157_1005926369236469548_n.jpg

Love my si. Great to see you have it back and safe

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Thanks everyone!
I can not believe how clean this game is. I did find one hack on the power supply, but I'll rebuild that later. Other than that, it looks exactly like a 35 year old HUO pinball machine should look!
Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com
IMG_3198.jpg
IMG_3163.JPG
IMG_3177.jpg
IMG_3172.JPG

wow that is one nice looking si.congrats

4 weeks later
#56 3 years ago

Did a new Homepin power rectifier pcb replacement. Very easy to do if you can solder and very gratifying. Her are pix of old and new

WP_20150815_028.jpgWP_20150815_029.jpgWP_20150815_032.jpgWP_20150815_033.jpg

2 months later
#57 3 years ago

Hi guys just joined the club!
well no I didnt really......

but I've been giving a space invaders back glass and the 2nd piece of glass.
I want to put it up with my other backglasses but would like to keep the original infinity look.
could someone post some pics of how it works?
what sort of bulbs etc etc

I notice the 2nd glass is quite a bit bigger then the front.
Is this how it works?
(edit I can see Im wrong now in the pic below)

Thanks
space invaders.jpg

#58 3 years ago

more like this.
you can actually see the bulbs
space invaders 2.jpg

#59 3 years ago

Mine is gone now but from what I remember. Same bulbs and sockets as the light panel, 44/47. The light panel has bulbs (vertically in line with the alien body) which worked in conjunction with the infinity lights....see the manual. Your second diagram is close, the bulbs would sit higher.

#60 3 years ago

Thanks
looking at this pic I see that you are able to see the bulbs themselves ?

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/unlocked/pin/invaders.jpg

3 weeks later
#61 3 years ago

I finally got to play some Space Invaders pinball, and you know what? It's not bad -- I've heard some people say it's just a looker and not a player, and I'm not so sure about that.

I saw this today and thought of all the Space Invader owners out there -- this could be really cool under the glass.

-mof

#62 3 years ago

I picked mine up a month or so ago. Plays well, no issues, just need a general cleaning and freshening up. If anyone here has replaced their original plastics with CPR repops and has an original left rear plastic in very good condition they'd like to get rid of cheap, please pm me.

#63 3 years ago

Here's a look for you. The larger smoky glass slides into the front like every back glass did back then where the top slides up and in while the bottom drops into a slot.
IMG_5709.JPG

The smaller inner glass is framed behind the front glass and infinity lights and held in place with plastic tabs. Note there are also lights back lighting the inner glass. You'll need something there or it will not show very well.
IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5562.JPG

2 months later
#64 3 years ago

Joined the club last night, just brought home a project. Perfect backglass and nice playfield. Can't wait to dig in and see what's what. I've done a few early Ballys so this shouldn't be too difficult to get going.

1bce9ee9dd1a51e7c2b8fc38dbee01a9f0b53e70_(resized).jpg

2ce60907ce7e393ee86b80b41d0677567b2b3e11_(resized).jpg

#65 3 years ago

If any SI owners have a scanner and 15 minutes to spare, can you make a set of high-resolution scans of your apron cards for me? There should be a 3-ball card, a 5-ball card, and three rules cards. I'd like to recreate them, and I'll post a link here to download them when done.

Before anyone says it, yes I know about Inkochnito's cards, his are very close but I'm a perfectionist and want them exact.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

If any SI owners have a scanner and 15 minutes to spare, can you make a set of high-resolution scans of your apron cards for me? There should be a 3-ball card, a 5-ball card, and three rules cards. I'd like to recreate them, and I'll post a link here to download them when done.
Before anyone says it, yes I know about Inkochnito's cards, his are very close but I'm a perfectionist and want them exact.

I bet your issue with his cards are in the printer settings. Different printers use various settings, play with it and you'll get what you need. I personally have luck with the PDF's, A4 (as opposed to 8.5 X 11) and "Print Actual Size"

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

I bet your issue with his cards are in the printer settings. Different printers use various settings, play with it and you'll get what you need. I personally have luck with the PDF's, A4 (as opposed to 8.5 X 11) and "Print Actual Size"

Printer setting/size isn't a problem at all, I just prefer to use fonts that are a little closer to the originals and try to keep the little idiosyncracies of the original cards intact, like some odd word spacing and such. I have all the respect in the world for Inkochnito's hard work, I just prefer to make cards from my own work; I just don't have the originals from SI to scan.

#68 2 years ago

In the process of unraveling some hacks in the transformer area. Can any SI owners tell me what these extra fuses are for!? ...or take a photo. Maybe I am just overlooking something in the schematics. I'm kind of at a stopping point so this would be appreciated.

1455991295802882636144_(resized).jpg

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

In the process of unraveling some hacks in the transformer area. Can any SI owners tell me what these extra fuses are for!?

These are NOT original equipment. My guess would be that the card where they normally sit is so zapped they moved them? A picture of that would be helpful. The card that is wired to the transformer, that is.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

These are NOT original equipment. My guess would be that the card where they normally sit is so zapped they moved them? A picture of that would be helpful. The card that is wired to the transformer, that is.

That's what I figured. They were not shown on the schematics and values are 10A. I found them to GI returns running back to the transformer. This will get all fixed right when I get my repin kit for the rectifier board. Thanks.

#71 2 years ago

Aha! I'm gonna make another guess that there is an unresolved short in the GI lighting. The previous owner kept blowing F3 which takes out the whole game. (No 12v = no 5v to run the MPU) And then to keep the play field lights on they did this. Good luck straightening it all out. Let us know how it goes.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Aha! I'm gonna make another guess that there is an unresolved short in the GI lighting. The previous owner kept blowing F3 which takes out the whole game. (No 12v = no 5v to run the MPU) And then to keep the play field lights on they did this. Good luck straightening it all out. Let us know how it goes.

Thats pretty much what happened. 12V was not making it out of J3 (crispy pins). Temporarily soldered to the test point, checked the 5vdc and all was well, and now she boots up. Actually surprised by how well a lot of it is working. Will just have to revisit it and rebuild all the connectors.

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Been doing some thinking on this...actually more thinking because I foolishly broke a bulb working on a socket with the power on and shorted the playfield lamp, which took out one of those non original fuses. I've been fixing the lamps and installing regular bulbs for now, but I'm debating the old regular incandescent bulbs vs. LEDs. As much as I like LEDs I'm on the fence on this game, that I might want to keep it standard bulbs. I like the look, but I am still not decided yet as LEDs also limit the heat that is so detrimental to backglass and plastics.

Anyways, I know I am going to repin the rectifier even though everything is working well. What I discovered is they actually split the GI into two circuits, pf on one fuse, backbox and cab on the other. Both were at 10A fuses, now that I have blown the one and didn't have a 10A I found 8A to be a comfortable value (5A got warm and glowy). If I keep the game incandescent, I may just leave the modification there and label it.

#74 2 years ago

I also had a question about the brass lamp covers that are on the lane lamps at the top of the playfield. I was only able to find two of them, I assume these are to block light from shining back at the players eyes? For now I put them on the center lanes but I was wondering if originally there were 4 at the top, or some other configuration. Does anyone know if anyone sells this part?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-have-not-come-across-these-lamp-half-cover-thingies-before?responsive=0

ac044ba9df9e1c620bbc2e86e81c00b7b5d048cd_(resized).jpg

#75 2 years ago

Hard to find item. Lots of folks go to the colored plastic tubes found on some of these games. I get mine at PBR. Red across the top and green down the sides. I will usually put soft white LEDs behind the back glass and color matched LEDs under the inserts. The play field GI I like to leave incandescent.

8A is still awful high for your GI. Mine are nice and bright running under only a 4A fuse as designed. Something is still going on there.

#76 2 years ago

So is anybody else on the CPR pre-order list for a SI playfield? And I wonder if there's any chance they'll rerun the plastic set with the topper when the PF goes into production. My plastics are in good shape but I really want the topper.

-Steve

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

8A is still awful high for your GI. Mine are nice and bright running under only a 4A fuse as designed. Something is still going on there.

Uh, I don't think so. Fuse for 7.3 VAC GI is 20A fast blow - F5 on the rectifier board. You have somewhere around 50 GI bulbs at about 250mA each if using standard #44s - that's 12.5 A. Not sure where you are getting "4A fuse as designed", you sure you are not looking at something else?

That would also explain why a 5A glowed a bit on the one branch. If splitting the GI circuit in half there's around *estimated* 5-6 amps in each branch - a 4A fuse isn't enough for half of the GI.

#78 2 years ago

Whats a nice clean SI worth these days, I have one all led's, nice playfield and perfect BG, thinking of selling

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from VDrums2112:

So is anybody else on the CPR pre-order list for a SI playfield? And I wonder if there's any chance they'll rerun the plastic set with the topper when the PF goes into production. My plastics are in good shape but I really want the topper.
-Steve

They just reran the plastics, they're on the CPR site now.

VDrums, if you do replace yours with the CPR plastics and aren't planning to keep your originals, please pm me.

Quoted from jibmums:

.....Anyone?

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Uh, I don't think so.

You are completely right. I was completely wrong. Don't know how I confused myself.

Quoted from VDrums2112:

So is anybody else on the CPR pre-order list for a SI playfield?

Yep. You betcha! This one is a keeper for me. Already rebuilt the water ruined cab, got a decent back glass and have installed LED score displays. I'm in the process of replacing most of the light sockets.

I printed mine off of that site because the ones that came with it were trash. I'll see what I have. It came with a partial goody bag.

#81 2 years ago

Now I remember!! The mice had gone at it pretty good. Here's what I got. If you want it, I'll be happy to scan it for ya.
IMG_6435_(resized).JPG
IMG_6436_(resized).JPG
IMG_6440_(resized).JPG
IMG_6439_(resized).JPG

#82 2 years ago

You weren't kidding, those are rough! Sending you a pm.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from 80spit:

Whats a nice clean SI worth these days, I have one all led's, nice playfield and perfect BG, thinking of selling

Evaluated the Pinside estimated value and looked at sold listings on Ebay. I'd estimate the value around $1000-$1200.

#84 2 years ago

Anyone have or know of a good back glass scan?

#85 2 years ago

Spent a few hours unscrambling wiring, repinning and modding the rectifier board , got rid of those fuse mods in the process.

So now that is done, and I played a game or two to test. A couple of gameplay questions:

1) has anyone gotten a ball stuck between the right pop and the side rubber as shown in the pic, constantly bouncing back and forth between the rubbers? I had to really shake it to unstick, and it could have continued for a very long time. Is this something I should be concerned about?

2) I was wondering if it bothers anyone when the ball hits the back of the small flippers at the pivot point when the ball bounces down the flipper return lane to the large flippers. Sometimes it is smooth if the ball runs along the wire, but other times it bounces up and hits the back of the little flipper. It almost seems that there should have been a second wire to prevent this.

DSC08662_(resized).JPG

#86 2 years ago

Try adjusting the pf angle. Make it a little steeper and see how you go. I have never experienced this problem

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

has anyone gotten a ball stuck between the right pop and the side rubber as shown in the pic, constantly bouncing back and forth between the rubbers? I had to really shake it to unstick, and it could have continued for a very long time. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Replace the pop spoon.

It may be cracked or have a groove worn into it that is killing the randomness.

I fixed a Spaceshuttle that had that exact same problem. The ball would come out of the U and about 5% of the time get caught in an endless loop.

#88 2 years ago

Thanks Vid, I'll look into that.

#89 2 years ago

Fixed the last issues, so now everything works. It's actually faster, and more fun, than I first thought it would be.

finished_(resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#90 2 years ago

Clear picture of J3 connector needed. I picked up an SI recently that was preety hacked up and I'm replacing the power supply and I want to make sure I get the wires right for the J3 connector. I also seem to have some wires jumpered in that I'm not sure is normal or not (see photo). Appreciate and help. Thanks

IMG_1939_(2)_(resized).JPG

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

Clear picture of J3 connector needed. I picked up an SI recently that was preety hacked up and I'm replacing the power supply and I want to make sure I get the wires right for the J3 connector. I also seem to have some wires jumpered in that I'm not sure is normal or not (see photo). Appreciate and help. Thanks

Maybe this will help. Color codes are actually listed on the plug connectors diagram in the manual. You will also want to refer to the online repair docs to add the bulletproofing mods to the rectifier board while you have it out.

IMG_20160403_125616790_(resized).jpg

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Maybe this will help. Color codes are actually listed on the plug connectors diagram in the manual. You will also want to refer to the online repair docs to add the bulletproofing mods to the rectifier board while you have it out.

IMG_20160403_125616790_(resized).jpg

Excellent. Thanks!

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Print this.
333602_(resized).png

Perfect. Thanks!

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

1) has anyone gotten a ball stuck between the right pop and the side rubber as shown in the pic, constantly bouncing back and forth between the rubbers?

Yes, and quite comical to walk out of the room to refill my drink only to come back with it still going.

Changed the playfield angle and it doesn't happen any more. Kinda miss it in some ways.

1 week later
#96 2 years ago

So I know P. Farris did the artwork and J. Patla designed the table. So whointheheck are Clark, Barrett, Hudson and Hieman? Programmers, sound designers, etc??
WP_20160411_16_02_21_Pro_(resized).jpg

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

So I know P. Farris did the artwork and J. Patla designed the table. So whointheheck are Clark, Barrett, Hudson and Hieman? Programmers, sound designers, etc??

Could be a reference to Norm Clark, Bally design director. James Barrett, Bally President. Margaret Hudson, production artist. Don't know about Hieman.

3 months later
#98 2 years ago

Picking up a SI tomorrow morning for a couple hundred bucks. Playfield looks really nice "from what I can tell" however no displays seem to be working. Pretty sure it will have acid damage, burnt connectors and so on. But, I figure for the price I can justify the money needed to bring it back to life. Will post tomorrow on how it goes, wish me luck.

#99 2 years ago

Just got home. Turns out this is a single owner HUO SI. Some minimal wear by the right sling but it is in an area that will be easy to repair. I plan on masking off a shape similar to mylar sling protectors and then clear coat the touchup.

I would normally never mention how much I spent but $500 for a non-working but very nice cosmetic Space Invaders is pretty awesome. I may try and clean up the MPU and reflow everything, but I hate how ugly it is after the acid corrosion so I am just going to get a reproduction.

i10_(resized).jpg
i8_(resized).jpgi9_(resized).jpgi7_(resized).jpgi6_(resized).jpgi5_(resized).jpgi3_(resized).jpgi4_(resized).jpgi1_(resized).jpgi2_(resized).jpg

Hands down, the best CL experience I ever had. The woman that I bought it from was awesome. Not only did she lift the other end and help carry the tank prob 30 feet she was great to talk to. She just sold her families vineyard and wow the drive up to the house was like a passage to a different world. In the extremely long and curvy 1 lane road I saw deer and other wildlife... this was just the drive way lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 21.00
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
There are 270 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside