(Topic ID: 25089)

Space invaders Owners Club And Restorations Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 660 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 days ago by Bundy
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

si (resized).jpg
IMG_4183 (resized).jpeg
Bally-Parts-Catalog-198040 copy (resized).jpg
100_6926 (resized).JPG
100_6927 (resized).JPG
20240119_134744 (resized).jpg
20240106_184013 (resized).jpg
20240106_184008 (resized).jpg
20240106_184001 (resized).jpg
20240106_183956 (resized).jpg
20240106_183947 (resized).jpg
20240106_183928 (resized).jpg
20240106_183853 (resized).jpg
20240106_183843 (resized).jpg
20240106_184559 (resized).jpg
20240106_122058 (resized).jpg
There are 660 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.
#1 11 years ago

Since i have made numberous other SS bally Threads i might as well add this machine to the list please feel free to add your pics and restoration ideas.
Well just got this one in a week or so ago all inserts reglued, artwork restored, Now just got done with first clearcoat.
Ill try to get more before pics on here when my PC stops being an ass lol.
but if this link works i do have an album for work being done on this machine currently

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.489088357768270.122084.100000013296832&type=1

space_1.jpgspace_1.jpg // Error: Image 44076 not found // space_3.jpgspace_3.jpg // Error: Image 44079 not found //

#2 11 years ago

2 more space_2.jpgspace_2.jpg space_4.jpgspace_4.jpg

#3 11 years ago

looks awesome!

#4 11 years ago

Looks nice...I've got my eye out for an SI and seeing things like this make me want it MORE!

#5 11 years ago

If you are interested this one will be for sale as soon as I get it done Prolly about a month out from now

#6 11 years ago

Probably going to be out of my $ range...looking for a "cheapy" to fix up myself....

#7 11 years ago

Yeah this one wont be so cheap by time Im done Ill have some pretty substantial $$ into it. but this one was worth the money and time to bring back to perfect condition again. but obviously this prolly wont be one of the cheaper ones out there.

#8 11 years ago

Ok well these pics dont make the Pf Look as bad as it realy was but gives everyone an idea what i started with.

si_top.jpgsi_top.jpg si_mid.jpgsi_mid.jpg si_bot.jpgsi_bot.jpg

#9 11 years ago

Nice job! I'm hoping to add SI to my collection very soon. It's rare to see this game without the middle playfield art completely worn off. Was yours mylared?

#10 11 years ago

No it wasnt mylared except for the slingshot protectors and rings under the bumpers but the guy who owned it the majority of its life bought it back in 1983 and its been home use only by him since then and broke down the majority of that time from my understanding.
I have the receipt from when he purchased it,
It still needed enough work all the inserts were loose it needs all the sockets replaced etc but fortunatly it died before he ground down around the rest of the inserts.
I already have all the sockets and will be rebuilding all the mechanical assemblies, replace a bunch of switches bumper assemblies have all new parts comming, new posts etc etc.
I already repaired and rebuilt the boards and replaced a bunch of connectors.
its a shame to have to part with this one but it will be better than new when its done .

#11 11 years ago

Si_power_supply.jpgSi_power_supply.jpgHeres the current progress on the boards Ill be doing a little more work on em while the clearcoat is curing this week.

-Power supply has been rebuilt and upgraded new transformer original was missing 12v and had weak GI output.

-MPU has acid damage neutralized, retinned and repaired with 4Fd supercap upgrade for memory still going to do some work to it change all caps and upgrade the power section.

-Sol. control board board rebuilt ground mods done new caps rebuilt HV regulator circuit and all new connectors.

-Sound board rebuilt all new caps etc.

-Light control board all repaired and bad SCR's replaced will change some connectors when they come in.

si_back_box.jpgsi_back_box.jpg si_mpu.jpgsi_mpu.jpg // Error: Image 44251 not found // Si_power_supply.jpgSi_power_supply.jpg

#12 11 years ago

New bumper bodies with high power led lighting and Playfield is in final clearcoat just need to wait a week to wetsand and buff then reassembly can start.
Hi power leds light the entire bumper and body unlike aftermarket drop in leds & no need for sockets any longer

#13 11 years ago

New sockets have all been modified for leds and Hipower bumper boards built and ready to install.

#14 11 years ago

Well PF is buffed out and have most of the sockets replaced starting to recap and change diodes on the switches.
Alot left to do but its finally in reassembly

Si_polished.jpgSi_polished.jpg Si_under_pf_1.jpgSi_under_pf_1.jpg

#15 11 years ago

Its taken some work but its finally beginning to look like a PF again lol

Si_top_ass.jpgSi_top_ass.jpg si_under_ass.jpgsi_under_ass.jpg si_lower_pf_assem.jpgsi_lower_pf_assem.jpg

#16 11 years ago

Cabinet inner top sanded and repainted black

Si_cab_inside.jpgSi_cab_inside.jpg

#17 11 years ago

wow !what king of clearcoat do you use?

#18 11 years ago

Omni MC-161 automotive clearcoat with fast harder and flex additive.

#19 11 years ago

ok,how did you put this product?with a gun spray?i read at some forum that automotive clearcoat crack around insert with time it is true? thanks!

#20 11 years ago

:applause:Looking GOOD!!

#21 11 years ago

If you look at the forums omni is the best one to use, yes it is sprayed on with a spray gun.
well you see the ones that seem to crack are the varathane clearcoats nothing in a spray can will hold up to pinball abuse esp with the inserts, the clears in the forums also dont specify if they reglued the inserts as well which is a no brainer that it is manditory before clearing.
Also I have cleared several with this clear and they have all held up for years now with no cracking etc. The trick is to add flex additive to the clear it is required if you coat anything flexible obviously i you spray a coating on a surface harder than the surface it will crack thats where the flex additive keeps it from doing that.

1 week later
#22 11 years ago

Ok started getting most of the machine assembled now Leds installed just a waiting on a few more and getting switches etc adjusted
She finally almost done and about to go up for sale

SI_Pf_led_lighted.jpgSI_Pf_led_lighted.jpg SI_backglass_led.jpgSI_backglass_led.jpg SI_led_in_DK.jpgSI_led_in_DK.jpg

#23 11 years ago

Ok started getting most of the machine assembled now Leds installed just a waiting on a few more and getting switches etc adjusted
She finally almost done and about to go up for sale

SI_Pf_led_lighted.jpgSI_Pf_led_lighted.jpg SI_backglass_led.jpgSI_backglass_led.jpg SI_led_in_DK.jpgSI_led_in_DK.jpg

#24 11 years ago

fantastic!!how many hours to do this restoration?

#25 11 years ago

wow amazing work!

i have a space invaders myself, game is gorgeous, except for touch up that was done on the playfield before i got it.
touch up was done (i guess, pretty sure) with testor paint, not a bad job but no clear on top of it.
so you know what gonna happen.
from what i can see (touch up) mine was in a bad shape before the touch up, but damn... why not protect it? fools!
anyway, still looking for a playfield maybe with less work to do.
as for the clear, i work in a body shop so not a problem for me and won't be my first clear job on a playfield.

again, very well done sir!

#26 11 years ago

Yeah I know i hate ghetto touch ups lol not protected and also done poorly myself why not take the time and spend a few extra $$ to do it right?
Varethane is another thing i will never use, if it not automotive clear its not worth reclearing in my opinion.
I use testors premiums myself they bond well and they are just for color anyway under the clear they hold up as good as anything else ever will

As far as time on this restoration about 6 weeks strait about 100+ hours and over $1200 parts and materials sofar on this restoration

5 months later
#27 11 years ago

It looks spectacular. Plan on contacting you as I just purchased one and it definitely needs playfield work done. I plan on replacing bumpers, etc. but would also like to restore the PF art.

5 months later
#28 10 years ago

Looks great I got the same lighting kit from Cointakers and to me it brings the whole machine up to date. Yours Looks Great!!!

#29 10 years ago

Seeing this reminded me that despite not being the fastest action, I miss having an early SS Bally in the house.

1 month later
#30 10 years ago

I bought some old Pinball and Arcade equipment from a bar that went out of business recently and they had a Space Invaders Pinball Overlay which is in NOS or NEW condition. Willing to sell including shipping if anyone is interested.

siov.jpgsiov.jpg sioverlay.jpgsioverlay.jpg
#31 10 years ago

Looks great! If only you had found an Embryon overlay as well!! Wish they had made those... Well you'll make someone real happy.gl

4 weeks later
#32 10 years ago

I am about to get into pinballs and SI will be my first one. The price seems right under $400 but the playfield is really worn, and missing MPU board from what I can see, the back glass both pieces are in good shape the outside of the case looks to be in good shape, my only concern is if I can never get a playfield due to the 20th Century FOX HR GIGER lawsuit, is this going to be a fools errand to fix it up to have it as a showpiece? I am a big GIGER fan and even though this is a rip off of his work it is still really cool and has a good story to go with it.
Should I pull the trigger on picking this up...any thoughts would be good here.
Thanks.

#33 10 years ago

go for it Spark! You can find an MPU or an Altek. If the playfield is really bad at that price you can consider this

ebay.com/itm/Bally-Space-Invaders-Pinball-machine-NOS-Clear-coated-playfield-ORIGINAL-NR-/281209494361?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4179645b59

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeZone:

I bought some old Pinball and Arcade equipment from a bar that went out of business recently and they had a Space Invaders Pinball Overlay which is in NOS or NEW condition. Willing to sell including shipping if anyone is interested.

That is not a NOS playfield overlay. It is likely a Classic Arcades overlay. Though based on your location, and what you are trying to sell, I would guess that it is a copy of a Classic Arcades overlay:

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=244135

6 months later
#35 9 years ago

Hmm are these overlays still available?

1 month later
#36 9 years ago

I've had my SI for about a year. Paid $380 for it, non working. But the back glass was mint! Fastforward to today and it's now 100% working and 100% LED's (and then some)!

20140706_215934.jpg20140706_215934.jpg

20140706_215934.jpg20140706_215934.jpg
#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Hmm are these overlays still available?

Overlays definitely not still available. From what I read about them they were not fantastic - rough fit around inserts, etc.

#38 9 years ago

My Spacies is not on my restore list as it would be too costly. I got it for a good price from my friend Toads whilst I was upgrading the mini playfield on my DW so that I wouldn't get pinny playing withdrawal. Even though I now have an AC/DC Prem, Spacies holds it's own nicely between them. image-61.jpgimage-61.jpg

1 month later
#39 9 years ago

Well My SI is coming along a little at a time. Not sure what I will do about playfield art. Have a feeling I will leave it be. Game is going LED when my new lamp driver boards come in.

DSCN5644.JPGDSCN5644.JPG DSCN5672.JPGDSCN5672.JPG DSCN5673.JPGDSCN5673.JPG DSCN5674.JPGDSCN5674.JPG DSCN5675.JPGDSCN5675.JPG
4 months later
#40 9 years ago

HI Folks,

Was considering picking up an SI, but, as with most of them, some significant areas of play field wear in some areas (around the Bonus Accelerator Ring and around the pop bumpers) where there isn't any mylar. Anyone have a line on any Classic Arcade overlays (like the post last year) or a hi-res scans to make some patch decals? or any success in doing manual paint touch-ups?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

#41 9 years ago

No need to Cpr is reproducing the playfields soon just wait and get one of them

2 months later
#42 9 years ago

Ended up finding a nice SI with clear coated overlay, should have waited for the CPR play field, but, eh...

However, just got an order of the CPR plastics (from MAD). Bag was sealed, after going through the plastics everything was good, but one of the plastics from underneath the passive bumpers was missing.

Am I just unlucky and it was a packing issue from CPR originally? or has anyone else run into this with this plastics set from MAD or directly from CPR?

I can probably reuse one of the originals...but the whole point is getting a new set... 8-)

i have a note into MAD.

Any experiences? suggestions?

IMG_2477.JPGIMG_2477.JPG

Thanks!

K

#43 9 years ago

I ordered a set from Marco several months back but have yet to opened it yet. Guess I should check. Were your pieces loose or still attached to the punch sheet?

#44 9 years ago

If they are from CPR then they are loose in the bag, we do not distribute any plastics with the background attached. FYI: it's not a "punch sheet" as all of our plastics are Laser-Cut not "punched-out" like in the old days.

Quoted from Daniml:

Were your pieces loose or still attached to the punch sheet?

Our process is this: A 24" x 24" Sheet of freshly printed plastics ( 1 set per sheet ) is placed in the Laser Cutter....Lid is closed....all plastics are cut....the Lid is opened and the "background" is removed & thrown in the recycle bin....All cut plastics are "swiped" into a Bag....the Bag is Sealed & Labeled and ready for Shipping.

...if you are missing a piece you should contact the Distributor for a replacement piece......

Quoted from KevinG-ATL:

but one of the plastics from underneath the passive bumpers was missing.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

FYI: it's not a "punch sheet" as all of our plastics are Laser-Cut

Apologies. I recently purchased a set of plastics for Black Hole from another distributer and those came in a punch sheet. Not only did I confirm that all my SI pieces were present but I immediately noticed the glass like edges left from the laser-cut.

#46 9 years ago

I joined the Space Invaders club in a BIG way today! I found a local game that turned out to be on route for a short time (less than a year) and has been HUO ever since. I'm told I'm the third owner. The game is in immaculate shape and I could not be happier. Playfield is near perfect, no cabinet fade (some scratches and has original paper work. Here are a few pics of the game, but will post more once I open it up.

I'm so stoked to now have three Classic Bally wide body games (Paragon, Embryon and Space invaders)!!!

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

IMG_3127.JPGIMG_3127.JPG IMG_3128.JPGIMG_3128.JPG IMG_3130.JPGIMG_3130.JPG IMG_3133.JPGIMG_3133.JPG IMG_3135.JPGIMG_3135.JPG IMG_3136.JPGIMG_3136.JPG IMG_3138.JPGIMG_3138.JPG IMG_3149.JPGIMG_3149.JPG IMG_3151.jpgIMG_3151.jpg IMG_3156.jpgIMG_3156.jpg IMG_3157.JPGIMG_3157.JPG
#47 9 years ago

What a score! You sir have luck and taste! Congrats!

#48 9 years ago

Nice find, and nice little widebody collection you have there.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Nice find, and nice little widebody collection you have there.

My current wide body collection:

Guns and Roses
Star Trek the Next Generation
Paragon
Embryon
Space Invaders

I like wide body pins!

#50 9 years ago

Wow MrBellMan, I hope to find a score like that on a classic Bally sometime, that thing is sweet.

SI was my first buy a couple years ago when I got into this hobby. It's a game I would have back, even at it's huge size. I'd want one restored though, simply beautiful game. I'd put applejuice's new Bally Control Board in (designed to work with P-ROC), redo rules and sounds and make a whole new Space Invaders. To me, this and Paragon are Faris's best.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 199.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 660 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-space-invaders-playfield-restoration/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.