IMG_6013.jpg
IMG_6005.jpg
IMG_6002.jpg
IMG_6001.jpg
IMG_6003.jpg
IMG_5997.jpg
IMG_6025.jpg
IMG_6026.jpg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Just got a chance to open the crate with hopes of seeing an amazing NOS populated Space Invaders playfield.

Instead I find this turd. I guess it wasn't quite sealed or not stored properly.

I'll let the pix tell the rest of the story.

Luckily i'm a rich jerk so i can just laugh at my own misfortune.

IMG_6011.jpgIMG_6011.jpg IMG_6012.JPGIMG_6012.JPG
#2 9 years ago

A closer look.

IMG_5994.jpgIMG_5994.jpg IMG_5995.jpgIMG_5995.jpg IMG_5996.jpgIMG_5996.jpg
#3 9 years ago

Plastics are gross, covered with something grimy.

IMG_6004-967.jpgIMG_6004-967.jpg

#4 9 years ago

IMG_6008.jpgIMG_6008.jpg
#5 9 years ago

Drop targets are covered with crap

IMG_6037.jpgIMG_6037.jpg
#6 9 years ago

Bummer. Sorry to hear. ...would be interested to hear the story behind this find/purchase/etc, though.

Best,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#7 9 years ago

IMG_6036.jpgIMG_6036.jpg

IMG_6035.jpgIMG_6035.jpg

#8 9 years ago

Check out the metal topside.

IMG_6006.jpgIMG_6006.jpg IMG_6010.jpgIMG_6010.jpg IMG_5999.jpgIMG_5999.jpg IMG_6016.jpgIMG_6016.jpg IMG_6007.jpgIMG_6007.jpg IMG_6015.jpgIMG_6015.jpg IMG_6014.jpgIMG_6014.jpg
#9 9 years ago

And on the bottom. (Shield your eyes if you are squeamish)

IMG_6018.jpgIMG_6018.jpg IMG_6019.jpgIMG_6019.jpg IMG_6020.jpgIMG_6020.jpg IMG_6021.JPGIMG_6021.JPG IMG_6022.jpgIMG_6022.jpg IMG_6023.jpgIMG_6023.jpg IMG_6024.JPGIMG_6024.JPG IMG_6025.jpgIMG_6025.jpg IMG_6026.jpgIMG_6026.jpg
#10 9 years ago

Ouch. Glad I didn't bite on that NOS playfield FS. That looks like crap.

Time to get in on the preorder queue at CPR.

Post edited by roc-noc: add more

#11 9 years ago

Was the one listed by CoinOpWarehouse on facebook not too long ago?

That sure is a shame and a big disappointment.

#12 9 years ago

The playfield itself is not destroyed but it does have a couple inserts that are not great. Its actually not too bad, a little yellowed and needs a new clear.

IMG_5997.jpgIMG_5997.jpg
IMG_6001.jpgIMG_6001.jpg
IMG_6003.jpgIMG_6003.jpg
IMG_6002.jpgIMG_6002.jpg
IMG_6005.jpgIMG_6005.jpg
IMG_6013.jpgIMG_6013.jpg

#13 9 years ago

Yup moisture got to it. Now starts the resto right.

#14 9 years ago

A couple 3X inserts were sunken in.

IMG_6017.jpgIMG_6017.jpg
#15 9 years ago

So i gently tapped them and this happened...

IMG_6029.jpgIMG_6029.jpg
IMG_6031.jpgIMG_6031.jpg
IMG_6032.jpgIMG_6032.jpg

#16 9 years ago

what a box of poo...
bummer. no scratches on playfield though.
i almost bought that. you beat me by seconds... dang.
even though you are a douche, i'm sorry that's what showed up.

#17 9 years ago

I think this sums it here.

IMG_6039.jpgIMG_6039.jpg
#18 9 years ago

eeeeek

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Bummer. Sorry to hear. ...would be interested to hear the story behind this find/purchase/etc, though.
Best,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

Thanks man, win some, lose some

Got it from CoinOpWarehouse. I think i got the one that wasn't pictured on their FB page because the pic looks different (cleaner). I buy loads of stuff from Lloyd. He's a good guy, i'll give him a call tomorrow and see what he thinks.

NOS space invaders wired playfield.jpgNOS space invaders wired playfield.jpg
#20 9 years ago

what are you doing buying pinball stuff for anyway?
have you rebuilt every frickin' arcade machine in the world already and now moved to pinball?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Ouch. Glad I didn't bite on that NOS playfield FS. That looks like crap.
Time to get in on the preorder queue at CPR.
Post edited by roc-noc: add more

Yep. I'm pretty sure (not positive) CPR bought the other one from Lloyd and that's the one they are using to re-draw the art - and why they started the pre-sale. I'm curious what theirs looked like up close. They only needed the playfield though so they probably don't care what the rest looks like.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Was the one listed by CoinOpWarehouse on facebook not too long ago?
That sure is a shame and a big disappointment.

Yep, although he had 2, maybe he didn't even open this crate.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yup moisture got to it. Now starts the resto right.

Well you know i love a challenge. It's a possibility. Metal is pretty easy, just time consuming.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

what a box of poo...
bummer. no scratches on playfield though.
i almost bought that. you beat me by seconds... dang.
even though you are a douche, i'm sorry that's what showed up.

LOL! I know. I am, right?

You dodged a bullet there my friend.

#25 9 years ago

This started out as a "Hey i can probably just drop that in and it'll be ready to play" to "Damn, this NOS playfield is going to take more work to restore than a heavily used playfield"

#26 9 years ago

Even these are trashed.

IMG_6038.jpgIMG_6038.jpg
#27 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

what are you doing buying pinball stuff for anyway?
have you rebuilt every frickin' arcade machine in the world already and now moved to pinball?

I was into pinball waaaay before the arcade games, just circling back around to mix things up a bit.

Still restoring arcade games, finishing up about 15-20 soon.

#28 9 years ago

cool.
i was beating myself up for not buying that playfield. it was just too good to be true with how much came with it. the photo they showed looked great. just drop-in, wire up and make a few tweaks. that was the plan at least. man... so sorry that's what's inside

#29 9 years ago

Here's a sneak peak at one game i just finished.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG
#30 9 years ago

here's a sneak peak at one of mine.
let me know if interested

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-prequel-pinball

#31 9 years ago

Depends on what you paid for it.

I hope the seller mentioned the dampness issue before working out a deal with you. Otherwise, looks to me like the potential is there, definitely not a turd. Plastics should clean up nicely with Novus, and the metal parts look like they'll come out fine after a few hours in a tumbler. The pain-in-the-butt will be the connectors. Those .100 pins don't handle dampness well at all.

It's not often a playfield in this condition becomes available fully populated. That alone saves you 6-8 hours of day-off hassle. Y'oughta' be happy!

#32 9 years ago

Nahhhhh.......Never mind. I just noticed the playfield underside.

Looks like you'll be replacing a lot of bulbs and sockets for starters. The potential is still there, but in this case, I think I'd opt for the day-off hassle!

#33 9 years ago

Oh dear was it stored in a flood prone area?

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Yep. I'm pretty sure (not positive) CPR bought the other one from Lloyd and that's the one they are using to re-draw the art - and why they started the pre-sale. I'm curious what theirs looked like up close.

I can clarify, if this is a rumor is out there.

No, we didn't buy an NOS specimen for SI. Nor Paragon. Nor TAF.

The reason those three preorders popped up is because of the original films. No redraws required. Everyone can thank PPS, because with their purchase of IPB, these are amongst some of the first movements of putting the IPB hoard to work. Would have never happened if these were still buried in a leaky warehouse in Bloomington, being sat on.

The widebody stuff has been avoided for years by the Art Team, even Master Yoda Stu. It's not just that they're bigger layouts to recreate physically, but the level of artwork Bally used was complete insanity on SI and Paragon. It would be like trying to redux Centaur or Fathom artwork from scratch. A trillion individual vector pieces to create. Thus we never made a move to invest in any widebody-capable equipment until the artwork was under PPS control.

KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

#35 9 years ago

MMmmm, correct speaking you are....

Quoted from KevinCPR:

has been avoided for years by the Art Team, even Master Yoda Stu.

#36 9 years ago

Sorry to hear that op. I know you have had success buying from Llyod and he has his fans. I live about 45 minutes from there and have been to his place a dozen times. I would never buy anything from him I couldn't inspect first hand. Not that he is deceiving anyone but most of his stuff is heavily worn, damaged or just junk IMO.

#37 9 years ago

Not surprised really. I've seen alot of this and especially from certain sellers. Just because its "NOS" and in a crate doesn't mean a thing. Sorry about your luck, hopefully you'll make it right...which I'm sure. Good luck.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Sorry to hear that op. I know you have had success buying from Llyod and he has his fans. I live about 45 minutes from there and have been to his place a dozen times. I would never buy anything from him I couldn't inspect first hand. Not that he is deceiving anyone but most of his stuff is heavily worn, damaged or just junk IMO.

Im with u im literally right beside coinop and been there many times and alot is what you are saying but they are usually priced well but just to many unknowns and by the time u get it nice you could of bought the same thing without all the work for the same price. However if anyone ever needs me to check something out idbe willing to if im available

#39 9 years ago

null

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I know you have had success buying from Lloyd and he has his fans. I live about 45 minutes from there and have been to his place a dozen times. I would never buy anything from him I couldn't inspect first hand.

Ditto! This guy advertises, "Just in," or, "Just off the route," all the time, but what the sales pitch means simply is, "As-Is." Not a bad guy, just that his prices to me reflect an on-sight inspection as noted above, and if you have time to stop by COW, you have time to travel to a real collector in the highly-populated north east with the same game in better condition at a better price.

#41 9 years ago

Yeah, I think Lloyd has a lot of customers and they are pretty well versed in how he does business.

He does volume. Doesn't cater to the folks who want a lot of pics. Puts a price on things to turn inventory quickly. If you snooze or hesitate, you lose.

I'd definitely be disappointed in that playfield a bit, no doubt, but I don't expect Lloyd will expect he owes anyone anything here.

Interesting how 2 NOS playfields from likely the same warehouse raid turned out completely different!

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

Oh dear was it stored in a flood prone area?

That wasn't flooded, or it would have been green, black and furry when opened. That's humidity, and a shame. Fortunately it all looks fixable.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

The widebody stuff has been avoided for years by the Art Team, even Master Yoda Stu. It's not just that they're bigger layouts to recreate physically, but the level of artwork Bally used was complete insanity on SI and Paragon. It would be like trying to redux Centaur or Fathom artwork from scratch. A trillion individual vector pieces to create. Thus we never made a move to invest in any widebody-capable equipment until the artwork was under PPS control.
KEVIN

Hmm -- does this mean that Embryon is now a possibility for CPR remake?

#44 9 years ago

yep, possible, "IF" the Original Films magically show up.....

Quoted from dasvis:

does this mean that Embryon is now a possibility for CPR remake?

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Well you know i love a challenge. It's a possibility. Metal is pretty easy, just time consuming.

and if it turned out half as good as your Killer Shark it would be beautiful.

#46 9 years ago

To me this is like getting dealt an Ace King in Texas Holdem. No guarantee and often a loser but you buy into it anyway. Someone else gets it (like the other SI NOS playfield) and its a winner and I get beat by a pair of 2's.

#47 9 years ago

Heh, that's what i thought i was buying. Looks like you have a bit of oxidation on the metal but that's it. What sucks is that i was the first to respond on FB but i got the other one that wasn't even pictured. I'm glad at least you got a nice one.

Quoted from jiffy:

Here's the other playfield.

SANY0775-138.JPG 424 KB

SANY0774-275.JPG 466 KB

SANY0797-452.JPG 364 KB

SANY0798-924.JPG 439 KB

SANY0799-651.JPG 412 KB

SANY0800-577.JPG 283 KB

SANY0801-537.JPG 278 KB

SANY0803-841.JPG 170 KB

SANY0805-398.JPG 165 KB

SANY0804-720.JPG 207 KB

#48 9 years ago

Llyod's a good guy, talk to him and I'm sure he'll work something out with you. Maybe a store credit........

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

I can clarify, if this is a rumor is out there.
No, we didn't buy an NOS specimen for SI. Nor Paragon. Nor TAF.
The reason those three preorders popped up is because of the original films. No redraws required. Everyone can thank PPS, because with their purchase of IPB, these are amongst some of the first movements of putting the IPB hoard to work. Would have never happened if these were still buried in a leaky warehouse in Bloomington, being sat on.
KEVIN

I'm still in for Future Spa if it ever gets done.

#50 9 years ago

null

// Error: Image 418654 not found //
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Displays
Retro Electro Designs

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-space-invaders-nos-populated-playfield-uncrated-pos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.