(Topic ID: 188446)

Bally Space Invaders AS-2518-51 sound board

By silverball84

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I recently picked up a Space Invaders that had no sound. I have went through this sound board to the point that I'm ready to toss it and buy another but I'm too cheap for that. I have replaced all chips and resoldered both header connectors. I can get some fuzz and occasional sound from the board during gameplay but that's the best I've got. I replaced a few caps but not all as I didn't have all the correct values on hand. I am close but I'm still missing something.

#2 6 years ago

Funny, I'm waiting for a reply on about the same issue...this one is just a bit healthier than yours. I need to get the meter on the test points and look into the cap values, etc, but I'm pretty fresh to DMM and such.

Wish I could help, but thankful your post is here, too. Best of luck. I'll be researching other's posts until someone has some sorta guess as to which components go first, most often or makes things "slow" or intermittent...

#3 6 years ago

I don't know how similar/different the -50 sound board is compared to the -51 but this site helped me to track down which chip went bad in my HG. http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundold.html#programmable1

If that doesn't help and no one assists, barakandl may be able to repair it or he has a new repro https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/46360

Eric

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

I don't know how similar/different the -50 sound board is compared to the -51 but this site helped me to track down which chip went bad in my HG. http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundold.html#programmable1
If that doesn't help and no one assists, barakandl may be able to repair it or he has a new repro https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/46360
Eric

They are not really worth the time for me to fix the originals anymore now that I am selling repros.

Since you get some sound out i'd assume the CPU is running at least somewhat and the amplifier stuff is OK

What does the button on the -51 sound board do? Does it play a noise? You can push the sound board NMI button and then watch the connections between the PIA and Sound generator for activity. The chirper in my logic probe will play the sound fairly clearly on some of the sound generator pins. I always do that to see if the sound board computer is running OK.

Next up I would look at the input signals....

The MPU sends four or five signals to the sound board. These inputs are buffered and inverted by the 4049 chip. Make sure all of them work (use sound test). Watch with probe input connector, through the 4049, and to the sound generator.

If you have digital sounding faults when pushing the NMI button, swap the ram, pia, rom, sound gen one at time with known good to see if there is a change.

These boards are pretty straight forward. Assuming the connectors and caps are ok. The magic is all done by the four big chips, not a lot else to go wrong. If the 4011 was bad no sound (no reset, no rom cs). If the sound is really soft and can't be adjusted, lm3900. No sound but computer is working, introduce hum into the main amp... if nothing, replace tda2003

#5 6 years ago

Toss it any buy Andrews repro board. Just be done with it. I bought one. Works fantastic. Waiting on the kiss playboy Star Trek etc sound boards to be ready. Going to toss the originals I have in those too

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from mikep28:

Toss it any buy Andrews repro board. Just be done with it.

Is one, (newbie,) chasing a dragon of sorts to think he could get the tools together to diagnose/fix these things?

Assuming there is a lot of reading, investing and time in general, I'm wondering what kind of hell I'm up against if I stay frugal and use this as a learning opportunity.

(The board in question works, just gets "interrupted" when multiple sounds at once, etc. Thumping is slow to return.)

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

They are not really worth the time for me to fix the originals anymore now that I am selling repros.
Since you get some sound out i'd assume the CPU is running at least somewhat and the amplifier stuff is OK
What does the button on the -51 sound board do? Does it play a noise? You can push the sound board NMI button and then watch the connections between the PIA and Sound generator for activity. The chirper in my logic probe will play the sound fairly clearly on some of the sound generator pins. I always do that to see if the sound board computer is running OK.
Next up I would look at the input signals....
The MPU sends four or five signals to the sound board. These inputs are buffered and inverted by the 4049 chip. Make sure all of them work (use sound test). Watch with probe input connector, through the 4049, and to the sound generator.
If you have digital sounding faults when pushing the NMI button, swap the ram, pia, rom, sound gen one at time with known good to see if there is a change.
These boards are pretty straight forward. Assuming the connectors and caps are ok. The magic is all done by the four big chips, not a lot else to go wrong. If the 4011 was bad no sound (no reset, no rom cs). If the sound is really soft and can't be adjusted, lm3900. No sound but computer is working, introduce hum into the main amp... if nothing, replace tda2003

When I press the button I get no change. Amplifier section is working because I can get a him out of the speaker when I touch a couple places on the board. I've got it going to someone for a repair attempt and if he can't figure it out a repro will be going in. Thank you all for the replies.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 90.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-space-invaders-as-2518-51-sound-board?hl=mikep28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.