1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I thought I read somewhere that you can re-program sound ROM and edit this sound by "turning it down" to level of the rest of the game's sounds. If this is possible and someone has the capability to do this, I would be interested in purchasing. Let me know

Bill

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from Maxymaxy:

I thought I read somewhere that you can re-program sound ROM and edit this sound by "turning it down" to level of the rest of the game's sounds. If this is possible and someone has the capability to do this, I would be interested in purchasing. Let me know
    Bill

I am interested as well, since I'm preparing for a playfield swap/resto. I'd asked this on another thread and was told the same thing.

That said, I do see the value in having it louder, it does create a sense of urgency of the timed, random shot.

#3 1 year ago

Fantastic game except for that sound at that level. If someone could do this edit, it would sell like hotcakes.

#4 1 year ago

The problem with this sound call is, the Fletcher Munson curve phenomena.
    Th sound call is at a frequency that is perceived louder than it is.
    I think a new digital sound frequency would have to replace the old one
    in order for a lot of people to be satisfied.
    On a side note:
    I could always hear the Space Invaders sound call in the
    packed arcades back in the day.. That sound just cut through
    all the loud noises from all the other games.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Maxymaxy:

I thought I read somewhere that you can re-program sound ROM and edit this sound by "turning it down" to level of the rest of the game's sounds.

You're probably talking about this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-sound-question#post-7377634

#6 1 year ago

I remember at the time there was a lot of emphasis on getting all the sounds correct to match the video game. We even had to come up with a different speaker to faithfully replicate the, 'dum. dum, dum...' background sound. Keep in mind that in a typical arcade setting you couldn't really hear the sounds anyway, so the louder the better.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.