Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by FiatsRUs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago

Later games using the -51 sound board have software that waits for the MPU PIA's test or possibly attract mode to hit before they become active.

ie... in gold ball or other later -51 sound games if you push the sound board test button before the MPU fully boots up it makes the sound board lock up until it is power cycled. Silverball mania doesnt act like that tho, you can push the sound diag button as soon as power is applied and it will make test noise.

That being said if you put a late model software into an older game using the -51 sound board, it may appear dead. When testing these boards I usually use SBM software as I am familiar with the sound board decoding pattern and how it should sound.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Is there anyway to "manually reset" the board? The one that stopped working seems to be in that state, but a reboot obviously doesn't help.
Full disclosure, I got the "new" board working by doing something totally boneheaded. I pulled it out of the game and set it on the front of the backbox to test voltages. While putting it back, something touched the ground braid, and the game rebooted. After that the sound started working again, but not for the original board.

Break the sound board into three sections.

The CPU stuff
The sound input stuff
The sound amplification

For the CPU, diag it like any 6802 computer. You need a clock pulse (External clock cpu p37). High reset (p40, DO NOT FORCE RESET HIGH if low YOU WILL BLOW UP THE 4011 chip). If the eprom /CE is pulsing and the CPU is doing work let the game mpu boot up all the way (or use SBM or other old software). Push the diag button and monitor TP4. When sound is playing TP4 (i think it is VMA) will start pulsing. If that looks good continue

For sound input stuff put the game in sound test and monitor the sound signals coming in the sound, inverting through the 4049, and then to the sound chip. If they all make it to the sound chip keep going. The sound chip can fail and not decode sound patterns properly, so keep that in mind.

For amplification problems introduce noise with your finger on a probe. If you get low, but adjustable volume the preamp is usually the cause. Zero sound and the CPU is running and the sound inputs look good, try the main amp.

The Bally 560-3 repair manual is very good for this board and way more detailed than what i typed out. IF you can follow the Bally 560-3 book, you can fix your board.
http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/Pin%20Repair.pdf

around page 77 in that PDF file.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-sound-help-for-mgc?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.