Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Astill
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi any solenoid expander experts out there. My issue is on a bally vector. Thee pins are reflowed on the expander , there is 43v present on the expander. The light beside it flashes on and off, when i manually hold the relay in the secondary solenoids all work. I have replaced the relay , tested the dide and resistor , what am i missing??

#2 6 years ago

Does the expander lamp flash during lamp test?

Path to ground through a lamp scr is what turns on the relay.

#3 6 years ago

yes the bulb flashes , im assuming that eliminates the lamp board or wiring as a possible culprit.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

yes the bulb flashes , im assuming that eliminates the lamp board or wiring as a possible culprit.

Next try solenoid test. It should light the lamp and pull in relay during the expanded solenoids testing.

#5 6 years ago

no , no coil activity, it does light the lamp as its supposed to but no life on the seb. i changed the relay and the 3011 no luck.

#6 6 years ago

Did it work before? Is this the correct solenoid expander for the game? Specifically, does it have a jumper installed between pins 4 and 9?

#7 6 years ago

it does have a jumper between pins 4 and 9 , game was a project so i dont know , i will check the manual

#8 6 years ago

P1 switched lamp bus. Goes to anode of opto isolater triac driver MOC3011-U1
P2 Lamp SCR Connection. Goes to cathode of opto.
P3 GND

P9 +43v for relay and selected bank of solenoids
P4 Jumper brings +43v here when expander board used to do banks of solenoids. Probably NC on the harness.
P7 When relay on, this pin high impedance. When relay off, This pin is +43v (2nd bank of solenoid's hot side)
P5 When relay on, this pin goes to 43v. When relay off high impedance (1st bank of solenoid's hot side)

The relay is turned on when the lamp driver board's associated SCR turns on the expander board's lamp. When the lamp is on the opto isolated triac turns the relay on. The relay is toggling the banks of solenoids hot side while sharing a common solenoid driver transistor(which sinks low).

Can you hear the relay clicking? Can you check for the 43v? Bad opto isolated triac MOC3011? Jumper needs to be in too. It connects the 43v to the middle pin of the relay that switches to each bank side of solenoids.

#9 6 years ago

solved the ground wire was broken , its funny how you get so involved and you overlook the simple stuff. Thanks for all the info barakandl you are the best.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-solenoid-expander-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.