Capture3 (resized).JPG
Capture2 (resized).JPG
20210113_083233 (resized).jpg
20210113_082949 (resized).jpg
20210113_082930 (resized).jpg
20210112_210853 (resized).jpg
20210112_211020 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

So I just purchased a Bally Skyrocket. Thanks @nicvolta you successfully got me hooked. If you haven't seen the video that he made of the one at Roanoke Pinball Museum, check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/roanokepinballmuseum/videos/786291921898163/

Anyway, I picked up this Skyrocket in Wichita KS and I need a little help getting it to play correctly.

First of all, it is set on free play. When I start a game the relays start tapping over and over but the 10's wheel on player one wont reset. The other score reels all go back to 0 accordingly.

I have found that if I manually actuate the 10's solenoid and move the 10s reel back to zero then a game will start. During the game almost everything works as it should. But when the ball drains, it does not move to ball 2, it immediately kicks the ball out again.

I am pretty good with a multimeter and I have a copy of the schematics on hand. If anyone has any suggestions, im all ears.

Thanks for the help!
Steven

20210112_210853 (resized).jpg20210112_210853 (resized).jpg20210112_211020 (resized).jpg20210112_211020 (resized).jpg20210113_082930 (resized).jpg20210113_082930 (resized).jpg20210113_082949 (resized).jpg20210113_082949 (resized).jpg20210113_083233 (resized).jpg20210113_083233 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

When I start a game the relays start tapping over and over but the 10's wheel on player one wont reset. The other score reels all go back to 0 accordingly.

Take a look thru this: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

Likely a score reel sw. needs adj.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Take a look thru this: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels
Likely a score reel sw. needs adj.

Thanks that seemed to help some. Now that the 10's reel is resetting properly I can start a game. But when the ball drains it never moves to the next ball in play. Stays on ball 1 as indicated on the backglass

#4 3 years ago

When the ball drains, does the Outhole relay and ball index relay pull?
If they do. You may have to clean the following switches.

If they don't pull then you will have to look at why.

Capture2 (resized).JPGCapture2 (resized).JPG
#5 3 years ago

It seems to me that the ball index is not pulling. If I manually push it it will advance to the next ball. The ball index coil doesnt look burned, but its not pulling when it needs to.

#6 3 years ago

It looks like the the ball index start pulling when you score points, and then release at the end of ball. (If you don't have an extra ball)

I would check these three switch. (I suspect the motor switch)

Capture3 (resized).JPGCapture3 (resized).JPG
#7 3 years ago

If you don't score any points during a ball, it allows you to replay the ball. (an EM's ball save)

#8 3 years ago

Making progress. You were right. I cleaned EVERY contact on the score motor unit and was wiggling the wire harness when I head a click noise. Now it is properly moving balls and ending game as it should.

Now I've noticed a new problem. When I press the credit button once. 2 players are automatically started.

Also, the thousands reel for player 2 is not turning. I did take all of player 2s score wheels out and cleaned them.

#9 3 years ago

I would check the reset relay make or break switch. For the 2nd coin relay (Latch/trip). It should not be "Latched" for the 1st player.

Capture4 (resized).JPGCapture4 (resized).JPG
#10 3 years ago

For the 1000 scoring for player 2.

I would check the player relay is making good contact. (It looks like there is one for each score reel).

Capture5 (resized).JPGCapture5 (resized).JPG
#11 3 years ago

Perfect! It was a little sticky. I cleaned it and now I can play one and two players respectively by pressing the credit switch once and twice..

Player 2 thousand wheel I think is the only thing left not working.

#12 3 years ago

Cleaning the player relay fixed the problem with the 1000s reel not turning on player two. I actually played a full game!

Alas, I turned the game off for a while and now when I turn it on, the score reset relay clicks over and over and the score motor continues to spin, but the score reels are not resetting.

Bummer. One step forward, two steps back. Lol

#13 3 years ago

Also worth mentioning... the 10 point relay is hot to the touch. Ill check to see if there are any stuck switches possibly making this happen.

#14 3 years ago

Found the problem! My match stepper unit is partially missing. Until I get new parts for it, i cut the wires off the coil going to it. I think its okay to do this as long as I keep the two wires tied together.

As of today. The game is playing as it should. May just need some minor adjustments here and there.

#15 3 years ago

ArgosySK I found another little quirk I would like to correct.

When I open the top gate, and then hit the switch to open the bottom gate... the bottom gate opens respectively. But when the ball goes out the bottom gate and in the shooter(or the drain), the bottom gate does not close like it should.

The shooter lane switch is clearly opening with the ball in the lane. What would cause this?

20210114_095347 (resized).jpg20210114_095347 (resized).jpg
#16 3 years ago

Is the "Open Bottom Gate" relay relaxing when power is no longer applied, such that the normally open switch (area J-22.5 on the schematic) is returning to the open position? If not, the gate will stay powered on, irregardless of the lock-in circuit opening back up from the shooter alley switch opening.

I'd also check the tab ends of the shooter alley switch to make sure the wires were not making contact there.

Finally, is it possible that the gate is hanging up mechanically?

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Is the "Open Bottom Gate" relay relaxing when power is no longer applied, such that the normally open switch (area J-22.5 on the schematic) is returning to the open position?

Looks like the open bottom gate relay has been this way a long time. It is not relaxing when it needs to. But when I kill power to the game it lets up instantly.

16106508347765286890759486524733 (resized).jpg16106508347765286890759486524733 (resized).jpg
#18 3 years ago

Ok, I suspect the open Bottom gate relay is stuck on.
It should turn off after you score 3000 pt and the gate is open. (The two switches in green).
I would suspect the Bottom gate sol. end of stroke.

Note: There should be two set of leaf switches one should be open (Green) and one should be closed (blue) while the gate is open.

The switches in blue are the path that trigger the gate to close.

Capture6 (resized).JPGCapture6 (resized).JPG

#19 3 years ago

I was able to manually do the process above and the gate closes as it should.

When I hit the open bottom gate switch, the gate does open, but I am not scoring 3000 pts.

#20 3 years ago

Clean and gap this switch on the open bottom gate relay.

Capture8 (resized).JPGCapture8 (resized).JPG
#21 3 years ago

I'm assuming you're talking about these? I used a flexstone file on all three. But no change.
received_209032150898669 (resized).jpegreceived_209032150898669 (resized).jpeg

#22 3 years ago

It should be the White-Orange and Yellow wires.

W-O should go to the 3000 relay. Check if they are making good contact an no broken wires or solder joints. It make go through a Jones plug.

#23 3 years ago

Bingo!!! This is the 3000 relay.

Can't I just unwind a couple winds and scrape off the wire coating and resolder the wire to the lug on this coil?

20210115_160731 (resized).jpg20210115_160731 (resized).jpg
#24 3 years ago

That is the theory. I have never done it. I usually replace the coil.

#25 3 years ago

I've done it. Works fine, why wouldn't it? Your coil has 1,800 windings, taking off one or two won't make any difference. Save yourself $10 and shipping.

#26 3 years ago

I actually couldn't get any windings off because that winding went straight to the center of the coil. If it were the other side i could have saved it. In the meantime, I swapped it out for the 2nd coin chute coil relay as it was the same coil number.

Update to the original problem though, the gate now opens and closes every time, but oddly enough, im not getting the 3000 pts when I open the gate.

#27 3 years ago

Does the left alley score 3000 pt? (I suspect not).
Does the 3000 pt relay pull? if it does, does it pull and release right away, check the 10c motor switch (From the 3000 pt) and the 3000 pt relay switch from snippet.

#28 3 years ago

Sorry, meant to report back and got carried away with other things. I am awarded 3000 pts when the Skyrocket is on 3000 and I collect it. But the target behind the upper gate does not give me 3000 pts. The relay does pull in and release but the score reels dont spin.

Quoted from ArgosySK:

check the 10c motor switch (From the 3000 pt) and the 3000 pt relay switch from snippet.

I was a bit confused by your instruction for the motor switches. Are they labeled and I havent noticed?

#29 3 years ago

Ok I would make sure the open bottom gate target switch is clean and has the correct gap.

I would also recommend cleaning and gap this open bottom gate re. switch highlighted in green. it may need the gap a little closer.

Because the left ally target score 3000 pts. the the 10c SCM. is ok (in red) and the 3000 re switch is also ok (red)

Capture8 (resized).JPGCapture8 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#30 3 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

Ok I would make sure the open bottom gate target switch is clean and has the correct gap.[quoted image]

Meant to reply. Started a Skyrocket club and got distracted. I think the problem has resolved itself just simply by playing a lot. 3000 points are being awarded now.

Eventually I'd like to get the match working. But I believe that I need to order a coil and probably other parts to get the mechanism operating. Can you post a picture similar to my first picture here so I can verify what all is missing from my mech?

#31 3 years ago

Good to hear. You may want to open another thread. You have "Solved" in the title. (I don't have this machine, so I can't post a pic),

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skyrocket-repair-help?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.