IMG_5141 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_3896 (resized).jpeg
20240114_103307 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexF.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 7 years ago

Nice! Congratulations. First time? Feels great huh?

I remember it seemed so impossible for awhile to get all the way to the bottom. Then the neighbor kid did it in a few tries. What!? Then my daughter and her boyfriend both got it in afternoon. Then I was determined. It comes easier now but still not all that often.

2 years later
#33 5 years ago

Last November a collector buying another one of my games took interest in my Skill Roll. Maybe the only game I own that I never seriously considered selling. He made an offer that got my attention, and I almost had a moment of weakness. After a minute of mulling it over, I said I better not. He stated that if he could get the next nickel to the bottom I would sell it to him, and I agreed. He didn't make it and I felt a great sense of relief.

2 weeks later
#41 5 years ago

Looks like a pretty solid project. Don't notice anything missing. Coin catch is loose but probably to service the switches.

6 months later
#101 5 years ago

I have a friend with one so that makes three at least. Neat game.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

We might be talking the same friend...These pix were from 2015. Great game!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hmm. Maybe? In Wisconsin? This friend had a bunch of neat games including this one tucked away in storage. A few years back (around 2015) he considered selling it. Checking back later he had changed his mind. Not sure if he still has it or liquidated it since then.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Please post a picture so the internet will have at least ONE picture to prove Lite a Diamond exists.
Edit: oops, were you talking about target roll?

Yes I was talking about Target Roll.

Quoted from oldcarz:

This was Rob's, but he sold it before he moved. I currently have his (novelty version) Skill Derby. And all the Gencos...[quoted image]

Oh yes, I remember those. It was neat to see them all lined up together. I helped him find his Genco Silver Chest when he was looking. A very nice example if memory serves.

1 month later
#121 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

That's what I had done and placed it on the bottom of the original glass, and then scraped off
the original flaking art work. One other collector asked, so I had another made.
It's like a decal on 3 layers of vinyl and applies to the backside of the glass..[quoted image]

I did the same thing for mine years ago when there were no reproductions available. I made two vinyl decals. One with the art on light-able vinyl. And a mask to block out the non lit areas.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Nice collection. All you need now is a SkillShot. https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5722

Yeah, but if you don't sell him yours where is he going to get one? Skill Roll is hard enough to find anymore.

4 months later
#178 4 years ago

Congratulations. It's a solid starting point. CPR lists the backglass now.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/skill-roll/

#183 4 years ago

I just sold my Skill Roll. Skill Parade is a nice game to have. Especially if you want to try to complete the set, but I don't think it is nearly as desirable as Skill Roll.

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

You sold your Skill Roll?!! I hope you checked with the Secret Skill Roll Society for approval before you completed the transaction!! We wouldn't want it to fall into the wrong hands!
I've played a Skill Parade and the other nickel skill games, and while not quite as cool as a Skill Roll, they're still pretty fun.
And as a Skill Roll owner, I'm sure we all have a list of folks who would buy it. My $1200 guesstimate would probably get it sold tonight, but good luck buying it back for that much!!

Yes, I know. It feels weird after so many years. The game I've had the longest. It's the one game that I was constantly asked if I'd sell. I'll take yours. Ha

2 weeks later
#271 4 years ago

Dang, you accomplished way sooner than I did. Nice work.

3 months later
#351 4 years ago

I wonder how many are still on route? I hear a lot of stories about people knowing of one at a bar somewhere in Wisconsin. Of course it could be the same one?

5 months later
#572 3 years ago

One looks cut down?

#574 3 years ago

Got my Skill Roll back yesterday. Owned this one since 2006. Sold it to a friend last Summer and he was kind enough to sell it back to me.

SkillRoll (resized).jpegSkillRoll (resized).jpeg
#578 3 years ago

It's smart enough to only let you score one slot per row at a time. Kids try this cheat all the time but it doesn't work.

2 months later
#621 3 years ago

I saw it but figured the line had already formed. Sent the link to a buddy up North. Figured he might have a chance. Interesting that it appears to be the 1 cent version and the coin rails are polished?

2 months later
#665 3 years ago

Skill Roll just migrated to my office last weekend. I have had it since 2006. It's spent time and in 4 different rooms in my house. And even went out to visit O-din in California for part of 2019-2020. Getting a coin-op game displayed upstairs takes a special machine.

SkilRoll2020 (resized).jpgSkilRoll2020 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#692 3 years ago

It's a starting point. Funny in the old days there used to be Skill Roll parts machines. Now that they have gotten so hard to come by it seems like every example is a restoration project no matter how rough.

3 months later
#830 3 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Wow, almost makes it hard to keep mine.

You say that now. I was fortunate that I sold mine to a buddy and was able to buy it back. You could sell yours for some nice coin, but if you get the itch to have it back good luck.

I'm sure there are probably some undiscovered potentially affordable examples still hiding out there in a garage or basement. But there are a lot of people hunting also.

2 months later
#892 2 years ago

My daughters boyfriend has enjoyed trying to beat my Skill Roll (light the star). He's gotten close. She will usually try a few times too if he starts in on it. They are in their early 20s and never play the pins. Although those are old too. I guess what I am trying to say is Skill Roll will probably be popular forever.

#894 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

do you make him use his own nickels? :-p

Good idea but no I want to encourage this kids to play as much as possible. There's a jar of nickels at the ready.

#897 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

Agree with this. Have Skill Rolls always been this hot? I’ve never heard of it until about a year ago and it looks like that’s when posts really started to pick up here.
Makes me wonder. What’s the next “Skill Roll”?

I think they have had a strong following for a long time but prices have really gotten crazy in the last couple years. Like everything I guess?

I'd say the same thing has already happened with Williams Ringer. A game I always thought I could grab at some point for $500. That's not going to happen now without some crazy luck.

1 month later
#960 2 years ago

Up in Wisconsin’s Northwoods on vacation. Was surprised to see this in a bar we ate dinner at last night.

FEB71850-2675-4413-BC65-CB47434409A9 (resized).jpegFEB71850-2675-4413-BC65-CB47434409A9 (resized).jpeg
#967 2 years ago
Quoted from Trizel:

Yes that's pretty cool. Did you ask to play?

No it was shut off and I have one at home. Was mostly just excited to see it.

Quoted from egyptrus:

Are you at the Blue Ox by chance? Someone posted before that they saw a skill roll at the Blue Ox and wondered if you were at the same place or if you've discovered a new place with a skill roll...
Dave

No, this wasn't the Blue Ox. I'm tempted to say where but can picture every coin-op collector within 150 miles swooping in to make an offer. I bet they get a few regular offers anyway.

Interesting this one had the all red, black and yellow glass. You can tell it's been in there for a long time as it was heavily flaked. There was a plaque with the history of where it came from. I should have taken a pic of that but everyone was headed out the door.

2 months later
#1018 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I think I've only made the 70 point shot a few times in my life. I'm starting to think my tracks were modified to make it nigh impossible!!!

I wonder if adjusting the leveling could make it more achievable? When I get it, I have to just barely roll the nickel over the hump.

#1021 2 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

Holy stupidity...I just now realized that I posted in the wrong thread. No wonder I didn't get any response. I guess posting in the Skill Roll thread won't get me help with my Chicago Coin Criss Cross Hockey question. Carry on and ignore the idiot in the corner...

Well Criss Cross Hockey is pretty cool too.

8 months later
#1068 1 year ago

Brought home my second Skill Roll. May be available for sale. Edit: Sold

SkillRoll (resized).jpgSkillRoll (resized).jpg

#1070 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

Sell? No you have to wire them up back-2-back for fierce HEAD2HEAD SKILLROLL BATTLES

Trust me, there was part of me thinking I should have one upstairs and one down stairs.

#1079 1 year ago

My 70 is hard also. You just have to barely roll it over the hump. After that my luck on the 80 line is about 50%.

4 months later
#1130 1 year ago

I definitely think there is more involved to making these than people realize. Like anything though, once all the bugs were ironed out the more you make the cheaper the cost.

As far as $5k. They seem to occasionally sell in that range in the right auction setting. But then your creating a sense of urgency through competition.

1 year later
#1311 3 months ago

Not missing. You will have a fuse in the Low Line or the Normal Line postion, not both.

#1314 3 months ago

Along those same lines maybe you have a switch not scoring and then any row after will not score. I'd see if the problem starts with the same switch.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexF.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll?tu=AlexF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.