IMG_5141 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_3896 (resized).jpeg
20240114_103307 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 28.
#201 4 years ago

Seems one of the leaf switches wasn’t fully in contact.
As for the lighting, I’m keeping that original.
Stencils for the sides?
Here are some photos of the 5cent plate.

Quoted from northvibe:

Shawn that is awesome! Everything works? What issues did you have with it?
Has anyone swapped to led lighting?
Are there stencils available?
Can someone measure the dimensions of the 5c plate?

49F103E1-7C8D-4BA9-8238-683260B4ED86 (resized).jpeg49F103E1-7C8D-4BA9-8238-683260B4ED86 (resized).jpeg81CB767F-19A0-4575-A516-2BD7163F94C3 (resized).jpeg81CB767F-19A0-4575-A516-2BD7163F94C3 (resized).jpeg
#202 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ah, that is just the handle. Other metal parts that I can’t find are the 5c coin plate and coin entry at the top of the game. I was hoping to find someone with some to get 3d scanned or lots of pics with measurements to replicate in cad

yes, send pics through and then we can add measurements etc and I can see if I can help.

if possible post them with the millimetres against the part as I am a metric man

and do you want the 5c as a decal or an impression in the plate - the plate itself is a easy one

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from Shawn1976:

Seems one of the leaf switches wasn’t fully in contact.
As for the lighting, I’m keeping that original.
Stencils for the sides?
Here are some photos of the 5cent plate.
[quoted image][quoted image]

My cab looks like they painted it gray bed liner and hand drawn some of the sides but didn’t do the front. :/

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

yes, send pics through and then we can add measurements etc and I can see if I can help.
if possible post them with the millimetres against the part as I am a metric man
and do you want the 5c as a decal or an impression in the plate - the plate itself is a easy one

I guess I’m for authenticity and would go plate with nails? I think that is how it attaches? Have to confirm with an owner that has it stock.

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I guess I’m for authenticity and would go plate with nails? I think that is how it attaches? Have to confirm with an owner that has it stock.

Spiral nails, like what hold on side rails on ss and alphanumeric pinball machines.

20190714_000314 (resized).jpg20190714_000314 (resized).jpg
#206 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Spiral nails, like what hold on side rails on ss and alphanumeric pinball machines.[quoted image]

Can you tell what gauge and length those are @gutz?

#207 4 years ago

There will be a Skill Roll on the free play floor at CLE-Pin this year.

#208 4 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

There will be a Skill Roll on the free play floor at CLE-Pin this year.

How do you free play

#209 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Can you tell what gauge and length those are gutz?

That's an old photo and I didn't measure them before reinstalling them. The nails that hold the price plate, return plate, shooter gauges/washers, are all the same. Pop one out and measure it

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

How do you free play

There is no freeplay. I set out about $20 of nickels for people to play with. Its an honor system. Do people walk away with nickels? Yeah. But its part of the show experience. I like to bring rare and popular games. So games like Skill Roll, Williams Ringer, Ice Cold Beer, Slugfest, but also rare pins like Capcom Pinball Magic, Alvin G Mystery Castle, Gottlieb Diamond Lady, Have a couple EM arcades in there too like Midway Sea Devil, and Williams Match Race (1 of 4 made).

Either way its all for the show.

#211 4 years ago

The screws are not that long.
I believe they like an inch at max.

#212 4 years ago

There is no freeplay. I set out about $20 of nickels for people to play with. Its an honor system. Do people walk away with nickels? Yeah. But its part of the show experience. I like to bring rare and popular games. So games like Skill Roll, Williams Ringer, Ice Cold Beer, Slugfest, but also rare pins like Capcom Pinball Magic, Alvin G Mystery Castle, Gottlieb Diamond Lady, Have a couple EM arcades in there too like Midway Sea Devil, and Williams Match Race (1 of 4 made).

Thank you
Rare machines are fun to see at shows.

#213 4 years ago

I was joking, but figured you'd have to do a bin of nickels. LOVE seeing these types of games at shows! Thank you for bringing them! I remember playing my first Ice Cold Beer at MGC. Only regret was not buying one at such a low price

#214 4 years ago

When you remove the spiral nails and then go to reinstall. Are people filling in those holes with wood filler/toothpics etc so the new nails have something to grip? Or does the spiral nail grip ok using the old hole.

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

When you remove the spiral nails and then go to reinstall. Are people filling in those holes with wood filler/toothpics etc so the new nails have something to grip? Or does the spiral nail grip ok using the old hole.

The old hole works fine (insert joke here).

#216 4 years ago

There is no freeplay. I set out about $20 of nickels for people to play with. Its an honor system

same. Do some people walk away with nickels and dimes? Sure, it happens. But at the end of the show it's just a couple of bucks and hundreds have played these amazing machines.

#217 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Thank you
Rare machines are fun to see at shows.

Yeah rare machines are pretty much 2/3 of my collection. So I enjoy sharing with people that just dont have an opportunity to play them since they never show up at shows.

Quoted from northvibe:

I was joking, but figured you'd have to do a bin of nickels. LOVE seeing these types of games at shows! Thank you for bringing them! I remember playing my first Ice Cold Beer at MGC. Only regret was not buying one at such a low price

Yeah I know. ICB used to be so attainable. Now the game is stupid money.

Quoted from cait001:

same. Do some people walk away with nickels and dimes? Sure, it happens. But at the end of the show it's just a couple of bucks and hundreds have played these amazing machines.

Yeah I typically walk away with about $5 less every show. I figure I lose it between kids, or someone desperate needing $0.35 more for a hot dog.

#218 4 years ago

I took my Skill Roll to the MGC years ago, and the nickel loss wasn't as bad as I expected. The main problem I had was kids dropping multiple nickels into it causing coin jams everywhere, so I had to keep a close eye on it. Even though it was a hassle, I did get a lot of thanks for bringing it!

There is a coin lockout on it for when it's unplugged, but I'm thinking maybe it could/should energize when a coin is dropped in?

#219 4 years ago

Hopefully this help you.
I took a photo with and without the handle depressed.
Let me know if you need any other photos.

Quoted from swinks:

anyone have a photo of the handle mech spring mechanism, just curious

0709489C-332B-41E2-8371-5599AF87FB87 (resized).jpeg0709489C-332B-41E2-8371-5599AF87FB87 (resized).jpeg3F208FF5-9F15-42E1-9EAA-BA5324C8BA64 (resized).jpeg3F208FF5-9F15-42E1-9EAA-BA5324C8BA64 (resized).jpeg
#220 4 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

I took my Skill Roll to the MGC years ago, and the nickel loss wasn't as bad as I expected. The main problem I had was kids dropping multiple nickels into it causing coin jams everywhere, so I had to keep a close eye on it. Even though it was a hassle, I did get a lot of thanks for bringing it!

kids and coin jams are the worst! They will keep adding more until they are falling out the front. Some shows have "prewar pinball" booths, but for the show I volunteer at we just call it a "pinhistory" booth and put the prewars with the oddball delicate machines and the woodrails. Basically anything that requires a special amount of care and can't sustain 2 days of kids wailing on it. Would recommend!
Typical signage by the front of that area: "No children allowed without parental supervision" and "These items are 60-90 years old, please treat them as museum pieces". Come check us out: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opgs-ottawa-pinball-amp-gameroom-show-2019-sep-21-22

#221 4 years ago

Thanks for the photos,

it the top rounded part of the plate that is hitting the coin, and the handle attached to the the threaded section?

#222 4 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

I took my Skill Roll to the MGC years ago, and the nickel loss wasn't as bad as I expected. The main problem I had was kids dropping multiple nickels into it causing coin jams everywhere, so I had to keep a close eye on it.

I haven't investigated yet, but a buddy tried two nickels and it tilted. Then tried it again and it tilted again. Is this normal operation? If so, a great way to deter that behavior.

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I haven't investigated yet, but a buddy tried two nickels and it tilted. Then tried it again and it tilted again. Is this normal operation? If so, a great way to deter that behavior.

I guarantee. mind you this is a guarantee......... You have a bad fuse holder on the back door. I have had 3 skill rolls, and all 3 did the same thing. Its always been the fuse holder, cold solder, broken solder, bad holder. Just replace it. Its a 4 fuse assembly.

#224 4 years ago

Also set up for CLE-Pin. Some late night tweaking to make this hame brutal as hell.

E169288E-4016-4101-A09E-36B75E06FA0B (resized).jpegE169288E-4016-4101-A09E-36B75E06FA0B (resized).jpeg
#225 4 years ago

Anyone have good part replacement for the fluorescent tube tombstones/light holder?

This is about as close as I could come, and it will require some bending or spacing
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/172095/CL-10003.html

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Thanks for the photos,
it the top rounded part of the plate that is hitting the coin, and the handle attached to the the threaded section?

You are correct

8BAB511E-13F1-434D-A7A5-8DE2398F834F (resized).jpeg8BAB511E-13F1-434D-A7A5-8DE2398F834F (resized).jpeg
#227 4 years ago

Also set up for CLE-Pin. Some late night tweaking to make this hame brutal as hell.[quoted image]

WOW THAT MATCH RACE!

#228 4 years ago

I guarantee. mind you this is a guarantee......... You have a bad fuse holder on the back door. I have had 3 skill rolls, and all 3 did the same thing. Its always been the fuse holder, cold solder, broken solder, bad holder. Just replace it. Its a 4 fuse assembly.

Got it! Thanks. Same crappy fuse holders Bally is famous for. Weird that it only does it when installing more than one nickle except it does do it when the game is first turned on too.

#229 4 years ago

Sounds like his game is working fine unless you drop two nickels in the same game. When a non active row switch is hit, by the second nickel, I believe the game will tilt. This is normal behavior.

Edit: And yes, that fuse block always needs to be replaced!!

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Got it! Thanks. Same crappy fuse holders Bally is famous for. Weird that it only does it when installing more than one nickle except it does do it when the game is first turned on too.

When the machine turns on, the tilt relay is off (light comes on). When you drop a nickel and start a game, the tilt relay stays energized (light is off). If you watch closely on the next game, the tilt light briefly comes on/off during the game start sequence.

#231 4 years ago

That sounds like what is happening. Neither affects other operation.

It's a darn nickel swallower for sure. No replays given!

#232 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

... When a non active row switch is hit, by the second nickel, I believe the game will tilt. This is normal behavior.

I believe non-active row switches are simply ignored. However, 2 coins at once down an active row *may* cause a tilt.

Schematic:
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/bskillr_sch.pdf

It appears that a tilt can occur (tilt light ON, Anti-cheat relay OFF) in four instances:

1) when game is first turned on
2) during a game if slam switch opens
3) briefly, during next game's coin-up procedure and
4) if a cheater sends two coins on same active row into 10 and 30 scoring holes or into 20 and 30 holes while score motor is still turning/counting.

Of course one could also see a tilt if the game is not working properly such as failure at a lock-in switch or with loss of power due to bad fuse holder or broken wire/solder.

#233 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I believe non-active row switches are simply ignored. However, 2 coins at once down an active row *may* cause a tilt.
Schematic:
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/bskillr_sch.pdf
It appears that a tilt can occur (tilt light ON, Anti-cheat relay OFF) in four instances:
1) when game is first turned on
2) during a game if slam switch opens
3) briefly, during next game's coin-up procedure and
4) if a cheater sends two coins on same active row into 10 and 30 scoring holes or into 20 and 30 holes while score motor is still turning/counting.
Of course one could also see a tilt if the game is not working properly such as failure at a lock-in switch or with loss of power due to bad fuse holder or broken wire/solder.

You sir, are correct. I confirmed #4. 10 + 30 = tilt and 20 + 30 = tilt on the active row. Non active rows (ahead or behind) don't tilt.

#234 4 years ago

On the topic of 2 nickels, I will share my 5 year old nephew's trick to make the 70 shot easier.

Play the first nickel down to the 70 row and park it there. Drop another nickel in to start a new game then get the 2nd nickel to the 70 row. Flick both nickels just hard enough to get them past the first gobble hole. The trailing nickel usually drops right in and the leading nickel is sacrificed

#235 4 years ago

Interesting approach. Your nephew sounds like a clever dude

#236 4 years ago

I need to try that.
Pretty ingenious.....

Quoted from gutz:

On the topic of 2 nickels, I will share my 5 year old nephew's trick to make the 70 shot easier.
Play the first nickel down to the 70 row and park it there. Drop another nickel in to start a new game then get the 2nd nickel to the 70 row. Flick both nickels just hard enough to get them past the first gobble hole. The trailing nickel usually drops right in and the leading nickel is sacrificed

#237 4 years ago

Kids are smarter than we give them credit for when it comes to our complicated antique machines.

#238 4 years ago

I just tried several times with two nickels and there are definitely certain combinations of scoring shots that will make it tilt and others that don't.

Edit- I get it now. Once a nickel has made it down to a certain level, the next nickel will just start a new game with the first nickel still in play.

#239 4 years ago

"Things are now in motion that cannot be undone"

20190907_174409 (resized).jpg20190907_174409 (resized).jpg
#240 4 years ago

Replacing gulmite screws?

#241 4 years ago

Also set up for CLE-Pin.

Thank you so much for bringing your Skill Roll to CLE-Pin, Gundam_Pilot_ . I’m not the best at it, but I always have fun trying when I can. My best score was 190 on yours, my wife did better, 200! I try to play it at VFW whenever I’m there, too.

#242 4 years ago

If anyone is looking to sell or has a lead on one for sale, let me know.

I found one in Pittsburgh last weekend but the owner wasn't interested in selling. I was so excited, then crushed. lol.

#243 4 years ago

I have a project cabinet I’ll be looking to sell here in the next week or so.
It’s missing a lot of the leaf switches on the playfield where the nickels pass the targets, all of the handles and internal mechs for the levers are all gone, but everything else is there.

Quoted from gliebig:

If anyone is looking to sell or has a lead on one for sale, let me know.
I found one in Pittsburgh last weekend but the owner wasn't interested in selling. I was so excited, then crushed. lol.

#244 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

"Things are now in motion that cannot be undone"[quoted image]

we need more info! are those new handles?

#245 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

we need more info! are those new handles?

Yes sir. Reproduction handle and shaft prototypes

#246 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Yes sir. Reproduction handle and shaft prototypes

.......if you need more testers is this one off or for "mass production"?

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

.......if you need more testers is this one off or for "mass production"?

Depends on the final cost the machinists gives me

#248 4 years ago

here is the art for the coin plate

still needs to be sized, and just now need to find out if you want me to make it available on shapeways with the house and 5c recessed into the design - I know this isn't authentic but the best I can do ??? let me know

screen-capture-3 (resized).pngscreen-capture-3 (resized).png
screen-capture-6 (resized).pngscreen-capture-6 (resized).png
screen-capture-5 (resized).pngscreen-capture-5 (resized).png

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

here is the art for the coin plate
still needs to be sized, and just now need to find out if you want me to make it available on shapeways with the house and 5c recessed into the design - I know this isn't authentic but the best I can do ??? let me know
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Oh I’m fine with a recreation however as the one I have available is not near that, just a red 5c.

If it was flat a vinyl could be made, if imprinted it could be painted.... I’ve never seen one in person, so I’m not sure how it was done originally.

Quoted from gutz:

Depends on the final cost the machinists gives me

I was just looking into this today! Was looking at the shapeways model then powder coating or plating, or having some cnc’d. I was thinking of running up to a shop local and seeing what they could cnc. I heard they had a 3d scanner to, so if I could get the coin entry cad file or to borrow, could get those made too?

Those look nice and shiny! I’ll have to figure out how to get that plate at the bottom too. That may be some highly polished scrap or something I find.

Did anyone figure out the twist nail size? Is it pretty much the same as a pinball side armor or gottlieb cab?

#250 4 years ago

here is the model uploaded to Shapeways in various materials with the house and cent value engraved - and I have no control over the way Shapeways prices these especially the metal options, I couldn't get the design passed for the steels / nickel plated and made the plate 1.6mm / 1/16" thick.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PNKEM67U7/bally-skill-roll-coin-plate?optionId=121692305
710x528_28943239_15550166_1568173392 (resized).png710x528_28943239_15550166_1568173392 (resized).png

There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll/page/5?hl=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.