IMG_5141 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_3896 (resized).jpeg
20240114_103307 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 1,360 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 28.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Parts game[quoted image]

As long as the internals are all there, it should be worth putting it back together. I know someone re-did the handles. so those are available.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

As long as the internals are all there, it should be worth putting it back together. I know someone re-did the handles. so those are available.

The shafts and springs are also missing. Just has the brackets with empty tubes.

3 weeks later
#153 4 years ago

Does anyone have any feedback on the quality of CPR's new Skill Roll backglass as compared to one from BGresto?

#154 4 years ago

All I can say is that I got mine from BGResto and it is excellent.

#155 4 years ago

arob asked me if I could take a look at my glasses and compare them.

I've compared mine from BGResto and my original (see pics below...in each one, original on left, BGResto on right).

The blue color is quite a bit different between the original and the restoration.

It looks to me like the CPR glass has a much closer blue to my original than the one from BGResto.

The question is, which blue is correct? I (vaguely) seem to recall people saying the BGResto blue is the correct "original" blue and our originals have faded to the blue/green color...but I can't find where I read that.

Can anyone comment on how different these blues are?

I also notice in these pics the lines are silver in the original and white in the repro. I'm not sure white would fade to silver over time. Can anyone comment on that as well? I see CPR making a big deal about their "silver" in their product post.

DSC04456 (resized).JPGDSC04456 (resized).JPGDSC04457 (resized).JPGDSC04457 (resized).JPG

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from arob:

Does anyone have any feedback on the quality of CPR's new Skill Roll backglass as compared to one from BGresto?

A few years ago, I had my Graphic Designer that makes my backglasses make a Skill Roll
decal for a Fellow Collector. I'm presently having one done for another. I can have another
made if you'd like to take that route. Probably 1/5 the cost of a backglass.
Comes out nice..

IMG_1001 (resized).JPGIMG_1001 (resized).JPG
#157 4 years ago

As I also posted in the EM parts wanted thread, I’m looking for a few of the extension springs, if anyone has any or knows of a source. I ordered some the correct size from McMaster but they aren’t strong enough. I got a quote to get some custom made and frankly the price is frightening, unless a bunch of you all want to go in together for a bunch of them.

#158 4 years ago
20190712_232510 (resized).jpg20190712_232510 (resized).jpg20190712_232515 (resized).jpg20190712_232515 (resized).jpg
#159 4 years ago

Damn Rus,

That cleaned up nice

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Damn Rus,
That cleaned up nice

That's not mine. belongs to my friend Ed. The one I bought was raped for the 3rd time now and I used it to improve my game. Should be ready to play soon.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

[quoted image][quoted image]

That's my patented move!

#162 4 years ago

I'd still like to hear any thoughts on the color differences in the glasses above. Anyone know anything about that?

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

I'd still like to hear any thoughts on the color differences in the glasses above. Anyone know anything about that?

Original inks maybe either unobtainium or too expensive to use. Bgresto does a good job with what they do in our modern world but nobody is going to be able to reproduce the kind of artwork that was done 30 40 or 50 years ago. High color saturation lead-based based inks, true mirrored back glasses Etc.

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Original inks maybe either unobtainium or too expensive to use. Bgresto does a good job with what they do in our modern world but nobody is going to be able to reproduce the kind of artwork that was done 30 40 or 50 years ago. High color saturation lead-based based inks, true mirrored back glasses Etc.

Well the colors are completely different...blue vs aqua. I'm sure he could make any color he wants.

I'm just trying to understand if there's a reason he chose this blue instead of the aqua that the glasses seem to have. As I mentioned, I vaguely recall someone at some point saying there was some ground truth photo of way back in the day and it actually was blue...and it was thought that it has now faded to this aqua color...

Given that CPR has chosen to go with the aqua color, I'm trying to understand the thought process here...and I'm trying to help out a guy who is trying to decide which one to buy.

#165 4 years ago

You have 7 lines on the original backglass VS 8 lines on the repro backglass.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

Well the colors are completely different...blue vs aqua. I'm sure he could make any color he wants.
I'm just trying to understand if there's a reason he chose this blue instead of the aqua that the glasses seem to have. As I mentioned, I vaguely recall someone at some point saying there was some ground truth photo of way back in the day and it actually was blue...and it was thought that it has now faded to this aqua color...
Given that CPR has chosen to go with the aqua color, I'm trying to understand the thought process here...and I'm trying to help out a guy who is trying to decide which one to buy.

Why do you not ask Steve Azzam -bgresto directly. He is an extremely helpful guy who encourages feedback.

#167 4 years ago

If you want the blue a different color steve can make it anyway you like.

Also there's several different versions of the original Skill glass. I've seen a lot of variations on original glasses. could be from age. or it could be differences from batch to batch. that happened a lot in the 1950s. ink colors were inconsistent.

#168 4 years ago

Thanks for weighing in, folks. I hadn't even noticed the different number of lines in the repros.

FYI: I've just looked at quite a few pics of original glasses, and to my eye they all look aqua...not blue...and have 7...not 8 lines.

Given this, it appears to me the CPR repro is more accurate.

Of course, it is possible they were all originally blue and have all faded to aqua...this seems unlikely to me given the different conditions they have all been in...and it's possible some originals had 8 lines, but all the ones I see have 7.

#169 4 years ago

I think we're worrying about this too much, certainly more than Bally ever did. I never studied mine before, but now that I look, the quality of the silkscreening is beyond horrible. If you look at the photo below, my original is way out of register, and my silver lines are so crooked they disappear halfway across. Look how the right side bottom line disappears almost immediately, and on the left side the top line is almost 1/4". And its not just the lines, everything is off.

My point is, no matter who you get the reproduction from it's almost certainly going to be better looking than the original.

IMG_0911 (resized).jpgIMG_0911 (resized).jpgIMG_0914 (resized).jpgIMG_0914 (resized).jpg
#170 4 years ago

What are reproduction glasses selling for nowadays? I have a glass that I laserjet printed and can certainly burn off a few more for pinsiders. Especially considering CLE-Pin is only a month and a half away

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmiller:

My point is, no matter who you get the reproduction from it's almost certainly going to be better looking than the original.

Of course that's right, no argument.
But if one is better than another, I'd like to know that when I'm buying to see if any price difference makes sense to me.
It's like if I have a nasty rotten molded apple at home. When I get to the store, I see 2 apples there for the same price...both much better than mine, but one better than the other...obviously I'm going to buy the better one.

BTW, I like your original glass. It doesn't seem to have much flaking. I'd rather have a slightly worn original than a perfect reproduction. I only resort to repros when my originals are horrible. If you're near me and interested in a trade, feel free to PM me.

What are reproduction glasses selling for nowadays? I have a glass that I laserjet printed and can certainly burn off a few more for pinsiders. Especially considering CLE-Pin is only a month and a half away

About 300 shipped (240-ish +60-ish)

#172 4 years ago

WTB: skill roll if someone is ready to sell theirs.

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

Of course that's right, no argument.
But if one is better than another, I'd like to know that when I'm buying to see if any price difference makes sense to me.
It's like if I have a nasty rotten molded apple at home. When I get to the store, I see 2 apples there for the same price...both much better than mine, but one better than the other...obviously I'm going to buy the better one.
BTW, I like your original glass. It doesn't seem to have much flaking. I'd rather have a slightly worn original than a perfect reproduction. I only resort to repros when my originals are horrible. If you're near me and interested in a trade, feel free to PM me.

About 300 shipped (240-ish +60-ish)

Gross. I should sell a bunch of these things. for $200 and be done with it.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from valentin27:

You have 7 lines on the original backglass VS 8 lines on the repro backglass.

WOW, good eye. Not to mention but it looks like the line thickness varies?

John

1 month later
#175 4 years ago

Potentially have the opportunity to pick one up. Missing the front glass, coin mech and a lever or two. But from the looks of searching around. Levers are 3d printed and switches can be used. Anything else I need to check for, price seems right.

The lower section looks all gray from the pic I saw though

#176 4 years ago

Snagged it this am.

Missing 2 levers, and two are sink handles, so need 4.

Glass
Coin mech
“Lockdown bar” on the front wood is missing
The top wood going horizontal was replaced, just doesn’t match.

I found handles at shapeways.
Gbresto May make a repro?

Any manuals? Looking to see how I can get the coin mech replaced

Also how are the levers secured down?
499E65D6-A2F6-4BA3-99D2-E672A18B4B61 (resized).jpeg499E65D6-A2F6-4BA3-99D2-E672A18B4B61 (resized).jpeg60F0D0D6-7E6F-4CCE-9BBF-AE1EDF605B5D (resized).jpeg60F0D0D6-7E6F-4CCE-9BBF-AE1EDF605B5D (resized).jpeg7C994C1B-E7AC-41B4-B203-C8C2C72E85DA (resized).jpeg7C994C1B-E7AC-41B4-B203-C8C2C72E85DA (resized).jpegBA58700C-63C0-4F95-B76F-36F9395DB81B (resized).jpegBA58700C-63C0-4F95-B76F-36F9395DB81B (resized).jpeg

Levers from shapeways
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/bally-skill-roll-handles-1

Glass
CPR
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/skill-roll/
BGResto
http://bgresto.com/?p=2355
contact as they may make them, [email protected]

pinrepairs tips
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/bskillr.htm

Manual (pinrepair)
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/bskillr_man.pdf

Schematics (pinrepair)
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/bskillr_sch.pdf

#177 4 years ago

MAKE IT LIIIIIIIIVE!

#178 4 years ago

Congratulations. It's a solid starting point. CPR lists the backglass now.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/skill-roll/

#179 4 years ago

Skill Parade in Illinois if anyone is in the area
ebay.com link: Bally Skill Parade 1958

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Skill Parade in Illinois

I have a skill roll and it might be fun to add this to the "skill" line-up. Any ideas on the value of a skill parade? It has a starting bid of $499.

Thanks,

Dave

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

I have a skill roll and it might be fun to add this to the "skill" line-up. Any ideas on the value of a skill parade? It has a starting bid of $499.
Thanks,
Dave

My opinion is if it works and is in decent shape, anything under $1200 is a no-brainer.

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

My opinion is if it works and is in decent shape, anything under $1200 is a no-brainer.

Thanks Tully...I've had my Skill Roll for quite sometime and I'm guessing prices on these have changed since then. I figured it'd be worth asking others to see what this might be worth before even thinking of bidding on it.

Dave

#183 4 years ago

I just sold my Skill Roll. Skill Parade is a nice game to have. Especially if you want to try to complete the set, but I don't think it is nearly as desirable as Skill Roll.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I just sold my Skill Roll. Skill Parade is a nice game to have. Especially if you want to try to complete the set, but I don't think it is nearly as desirable as Skill Roll.

You sold your Skill Roll?!! I hope you checked with the Secret Skill Roll Society for approval before you completed the transaction!! We wouldn't want it to fall into the wrong hands!

I've played a Skill Parade and the other nickel skill games, and while not quite as cool as a Skill Roll, they're still pretty fun.

And as a Skill Roll owner, I'm sure we all have a list of folks who would buy it. My $1200 guesstimate would probably get it sold tonight, but good luck buying it back for that much!!

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

this.
At the end of the day only Skill Roll is a game of skill, the others are more novelty gambling games. Super novel, super cool, but not at the same level.

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

You sold your Skill Roll?!! I hope you checked with the Secret Skill Roll Society for approval before you completed the transaction!! We wouldn't want it to fall into the wrong hands!
I've played a Skill Parade and the other nickel skill games, and while not quite as cool as a Skill Roll, they're still pretty fun.
And as a Skill Roll owner, I'm sure we all have a list of folks who would buy it. My $1200 guesstimate would probably get it sold tonight, but good luck buying it back for that much!!

Yes, I know. It feels weird after so many years. The game I've had the longest. It's the one game that I was constantly asked if I'd sell. I'll take yours. Ha

#187 4 years ago

My Skill Roll will be at CLE-Pin

#188 4 years ago

My Skill Roll will be at CLE-Pin

Mine's in my garage.

#189 4 years ago

I have 1 gulmite screw on a handle that is left to remove. If someone can let me borrow the driver, I'll ship it back with the 2 gulmite screws I have.

The replacement that works for me is a 10/32 thread 1/2" length.
I went with philips for now as it will be in my house.
For a replacement on route, maybe the snake eyes security screw for the best look, or the torx security.

#190 4 years ago

If anyone in my area (Northern VA) wants my original/flaking backglass, they can have it for free. It has a few silver dollar sized chunks missing from the art, but is better than others I've seen. I'll probably just throw this away after a while, would prefer someone who wants it to have it, though. No shipping on this.

38b4475e696d4a6c1087dc89891a7dc8f9fb5235 (resized).jpg38b4475e696d4a6c1087dc89891a7dc8f9fb5235 (resized).jpg
#191 4 years ago

Well thanks to Jeff and Russ I have my 2nd Skill Roll up and running.
Thanks a bunch guys for your help with acquiring the game as well as getting it up and running.

155E262F-9387-4A89-95C6-0F8C213387ED (resized).jpeg155E262F-9387-4A89-95C6-0F8C213387ED (resized).jpegA9AADAF1-BB9B-4830-AACF-E0771F1B80A4 (resized).jpegA9AADAF1-BB9B-4830-AACF-E0771F1B80A4 (resized).jpeg0BE44308-0125-4E46-A50C-21B9A51509CE (resized).jpeg0BE44308-0125-4E46-A50C-21B9A51509CE (resized).jpeg
#192 4 years ago

Added the reproduction front bezel glass.
Project is almost complete....

786E131D-8C80-4C0A-B744-93733F99AADD (resized).jpeg786E131D-8C80-4C0A-B744-93733F99AADD (resized).jpeg
#193 4 years ago

Shawn that is awesome! Everything works? What issues did you have with it?

Has anyone swapped to led lighting?

Are there stencils available?

Can someone measure the dimensions of the 5c plate?

#194 4 years ago

never seen these before, they look cool, had to find a video

#195 4 years ago

That Bally Skill Parade looks like a scam. They are using the same machine image found on this site.

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/bskillr.htm

#196 4 years ago

anyone have a photo of the handle mech spring mechanism, just curious

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

never seen these before, they look cool, had to find a video

My game is missing many metal parts... you were one of the first people I thought of to help make replacements on shapeways :-p

I can remove mine tomorrow and send pics

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

anyone have a photo of the handle mech spring mechanism, just curious

The spring setup is a compression spring inside of an extension spring. I don't have any pics.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

My game is missing many metal parts... you were one of the first people I thought of to help make replacements on shapeways :-p
I can remove mine tomorrow and send pics

I saw one on there, is it not correct? if not I could possibly help?

can you send pics of the mechanism - just curious but if you need a part I can entertain by at least looking at the parts and go from there.

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I saw one on there, is it not correct? if not I could possibly help?
can you send pics of the mechanism - just curious but if you need a part I can entertain by at least looking at the parts and go from there.

Ah, that is just the handle. Other metal parts that I can’t find are the 5c coin plate and coin entry at the top of the game. I was hoping to find someone with some to get 3d scanned or lots of pics with measurements to replicate in cad

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
There are 1,360 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll/page/4?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.