IMG_5141 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_3896 (resized).jpeg
20240114_103307 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 28.
#51 5 years ago

I've been playing several games of this every day...then last night, 2 hours before I have a friend coming over to play it before they move to CA...it won't play any more (coin drops through to coin return, not to playfield).

Eventually I found the fuse holder was the culprit. The fuses were so loose, they were just rattling around in the holder. I don't know why it worked before and chose now to stop, etc...but that fuse holder was trashed worse than any one I have ever seen.

jeffc to the rescue again...he came over with a new fuse holder and I got it replaced about 15 min before my friend showed up. Thanks man!

#52 5 years ago

Another game that was once "Trash"
1971 Rockaway Beach, NY had "old" stuff in a warehouse, from the Boardwalk.....there were dozens of these that went to the trash....
No one wanted them.
Somewhere, I have a picture.....

1 week later
#53 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Another game that was once "Trash"
1971 Rockaway Beach, NY had "old" stuff in a warehouse, from the Boardwalk.....there were dozens of these that went to the trash....
No one wanted them.
Somewhere, I have a picture.....

As sad as that is, I'd love to see those pictures

#54 5 years ago

I spent a fair amount of time working on my new Bally Skill Roll game.

jeffc came over and helped me more than once, thanks man!

I thought I'd write down some things I learned to help anyone else who might get one of these. I posted this up on KLOV, thought I'd post it here also.

Feel free to add on...these are just the issues I've had that I think almost anyone else might have.

#1 Problem: Sticky coin levers/actuators
A few of my coin levers were very sticky. So sticky that a coin would get stuck on them and not trip them. Or, if the coin went through, the lever would not come all the way back up and would be a closed switch. In some cases, it is possible to bend the leaf switch leafs to help some, and in some cases it is not.

#1 Solution: Sticky coin levers/actuators
After trial and error, I found a simple way to get these working perfectly: First, remove the 2 screws holding the leaf switch to the lever/actuator assembly. Next, remove the 2 screws holding the lever/actuator assembly to the playfield. Now, pull the whole lever/actuator assembly out. Soak it in naphtha. Gently work the motion, soak 1 min, gently work the motion, soak another minute, etc. After 5-10 minutes it's working perfectly. No need to remove the tiny push-on washer. Be careful and don't try to bend the aluminum lever assembly or force it in any way. I believe it could break/snap. Let the naphtha do its work.

#2 Problem: Fuse holder
The original fuse holder on this thing is a serious POS. My fuses were so loose, they were literally rattling around. It was not possible to bend the holder back to hold them properly. Some times my game would not start because the loose fuse wasn't making contact.

#2 Solution: Fuse holder
Obviously just replace fuse holder. It's a 4 position fuse holder and the screw holes from the original one even line up with the new ones.

#3 Problem: Game starts with score not 0

#3 Solution: Game starts with score not 0
This is because the scoring stepper has not reset all the way back as it should when you start a new game. Disassemble the stepper and clean all of its parts. I used simple green but might use naphtha in the future. jeffc helped me a lot with this because it scared me, but after watching him do most of it, it doesn't seem that hard anymore. I haven't had a single issue since.

#4 Problem: Handles not flipping with enough power
I had 1 handle that couldn't get a coin all the way across the row, and another that barely could. You should be able to easily launch the coin all the way across.

#4 Solution: Handles not flipping with enough power
I thought the springs might be bad, but they are fine.
The problem was gunk build up inside the shaft connected to the handle.
Remove the single nut on the back of the handle (inside the back door). Now you can pull the handle and shaft out the front of the game (you don't need to remove the gulmite screw holding the handle to the shaft to do this).
Now clean the shaft that you have removed (naphtha) and the hole it came out of (naphtha on a q-tip). I used about 10 q-tips per hole, kept doing it until they came out relatively clean.

#5 Problem: Dirty playfield
Man that thing was dirty!

#5 Solution: Dirty playfield
jeffc loaned my his Mill Wax, and it worked like a charm. It cleaned all the dirt off, and leaves a waxed surface. It took patience, but it worked well. I didn't want to use novus 2 because of the abrasives in it, even though I know others have used it successfully. I originally tried novus 1, it did nothing, which isn't too surprising. Don't forget to clean the tops of the metal rails where the nickel actually makes contact.

#6 Problem: Bell/Chime not loud enough
I could tell from playing @jeffc's game that my chime was not loud enough.

#6 Solution: Bell/Chime not loud enough
I found that someone had intentionally muffled the chime by wrapping electrical tape around the ends of the metal that gets struck. I removed the tape and it's much better.

So far, that's all I have. It's up and seems to be working perfectly.

Hope this helps someone!

PS Something else I did was tumbled my nickels with a little bit of Flitz paste (blue). After only 12 hours they were GLEAMING.

#55 5 years ago

Very helpful tips.

#56 5 years ago

Skill roll is such a good game, I've been searching for one for a while; would love to find one eventually!

#57 5 years ago

Check out the random game that greeted me when I logged in to pinside today...

aaa (resized).jpgaaa (resized).jpg
#58 5 years ago

Well, looky here. A redemption game masquerading as a Skill Roll. Unfortunately, I ran out of quarters before I noticed it or I would have played it.

28EE830F-8A81-4A5A-8BDF-BB434D7A340F (resized).jpeg28EE830F-8A81-4A5A-8BDF-BB434D7A340F (resized).jpegE9E98F15-D323-46A6-9BEA-88E9190D51C6 (resized).jpegE9E98F15-D323-46A6-9BEA-88E9190D51C6 (resized).jpeg25D3C181-F8A4-46D6-9F9B-9292AD60BBB2 (resized).jpeg25D3C181-F8A4-46D6-9F9B-9292AD60BBB2 (resized).jpeg
#59 5 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

...#1 Problem: Sticky coin levers/actuators...
#1 Solution: ...pull the whole lever/actuator assembly out. Soak it in naphtha....

Indeed. I just did this on a few sluggish switches on mine. It improved the action without needing to bend the *very thin* switch blades (although I did adjust one set of blades). Thanks for the tip.

#60 5 years ago

Colleen caught the coin here somehow!

I couldn't believe it.

I tapped the machine very gently and it rolled away.

IMG_9065 (resized).JPGIMG_9065 (resized).JPG
#61 5 years ago

We continue to absolutely love having Skill Roll in the collection. In this pic, my seven year old son hit the 80 shot and was pretty pumped!!

A87299B3-DFEA-4A4A-9E07-6A8776C96B55 (resized).jpegA87299B3-DFEA-4A4A-9E07-6A8776C96B55 (resized).jpeg
#63 5 years ago

Love the skill derby there.

#64 5 years ago

I finally broke 400!

Colleen and I now have the exact same high score...

IMG_9095 (resized).JPGIMG_9095 (resized).JPG
#65 5 years ago

Had her sitting at 340 with the 80 shot left and bricked it. Would have been my high score all time. Even recorded the 80 shot to prove it, but missed terribly :/

My high score and my buddy’s high score remains 400.

Love the Skill Derby and am looking to collect all of the Bally games from that era.
I know Lite A Diamond was referenced earlier in this thread. If anyone hears of the other Bally Skill games for sale, please let me know.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

We continue to absolutely love having Skill Roll in the collection. In this pic, my seven year old son hit the 80 shot and was pretty pumped!![quoted image]

I remember having to put the nickel in for that little bugger. I'm glad he has gained his skill roll independence

#67 5 years ago

Haha! Glad a solid Skill Roll has landed at your place. Here’s a pic of my view, going for a new personal record, right before missing the 80 shot......

993D67FD-9998-473B-8D3D-0560B5D9301F (resized).jpeg993D67FD-9998-473B-8D3D-0560B5D9301F (resized).jpeg
#68 5 years ago

What’s your personal record, Gutz?
Just curious.

#69 5 years ago

on my want list, been looking for a while. they made several different models of the skill games from same era

#70 5 years ago

What’s your personal record, Gutz?
Just curious.

440 a few times. The fifth 50 shot is my weakness.

#71 5 years ago

440!
That’s huge.
Huge.

#72 5 years ago

I've missed the 80 with 340 at least 5 times. I'm happy I finally got 400.

#73 5 years ago

I always get stuck at 420!

#74 5 years ago

380 is our top score in my gameroom.

#75 5 years ago

A few years ago there was a gathering in the game room and I had a sign saying
"Getting it to the 80 = a roll of quarters". I can't remember the scores, but a 10
year old (a Friend's Son) did it three times. I topped the night off at 3 rolls..
At one time, the glass wasn't particularly appealing, so a while back, my Graphic
Designer made the Skill Roll decal. Came out nice..

IMG_1001 (resized).JPGIMG_1001 (resized).JPG
#76 5 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

I've missed the 80 with 340 at least 5 times. I'm happy I finally got 400.

Happened again last night! Here's what it looked like at 340 right before I missed the 80...

IMG_9096 (resized).JPGIMG_9096 (resized).JPG
#77 5 years ago

I know that look well

Gutz has inspired me to go for a 440.

I plan to play non-stop this weekend!

#78 5 years ago

I know that look well
Gutz has inspired me to go for a 440.
I plan to play non-stop this weekend!

I played for a bit earlier this week thinking i would have to back up my hi score with a pic. In about a dozen finishes, i could only muster 400

20190107_220259 (resized).jpg20190107_220259 (resized).jpg
#79 5 years ago

Going to be joining the club in a few weeks hopefully. I was finally able to find one of these bad boys and should be getting it delivered in the coming weeks. Really excited as this is such a cool game!

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

Happened again last night! Here's what it looked like at 340 right before I missed the 80...[quoted image]

Let me know when you want to let that go to a new loving home.

#81 5 years ago

Love the Skill Derby and am looking to collect all of the Bally games from that era.
I know Lite A Diamond was referenced earlier in this thread. If anyone hears of the other Bally Skill games for sale, please let me know.

My buddy has both of the machines to finish the set in Phoenix. Contact me for details.

Kris

IMG_8961 (resized).jpgIMG_8961 (resized).jpgIMG_8962 (resized).jpgIMG_8962 (resized).jpg
#82 5 years ago

We’re in touch with each other.
Thanks for the heads up!
Much appreciated.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Let me know when you want to let that go to a new loving home.

You want one of my kidneys, too?

#84 5 years ago

I have 4 of the "SKILL" games in absolutely beautiful condition, both cosmetically and mechanically. They all work 100% and need nothing. They are plug & play and all are original.
SKILL ROLL
SKILL DERBY (Deluxe Version) with ODDS feature
SKILL SCORE
SKILL PARADE

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

I have 4 of the "SKILL" games in absolutely beautiful condition, both cosmetically and mechanically. They all work 100% and need nothing. They are plug & play and all are original.
SKILL ROLL
SKILL SCORE
SKILL PARADE

Are you selling or just saying?

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

SKILL ROLL
SKILL SCORE
SKILL PARADE

Wisconsin again!

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Dan never sells.... you should see his basement.

Kidding... Hi Dan

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

Kidding... Hi Dan

I would love to. Just not sure he'd be fond of inviting a stranger from another country into his home (especially when he wasn't the one who invited in the first place)

#90 5 years ago

I have a Non-working Skill Parade that does not have a glass for sale $500

Parade 1 (resized).jpgParade 1 (resized).jpgParade 2 (resized).jpgParade 2 (resized).jpgParade 3 (resized).jpgParade 3 (resized).jpgParade 4 (resized).jpgParade 4 (resized).jpgParade 5 (resized).jpgParade 5 (resized).jpgParade 6 (resized).jpgParade 6 (resized).jpgParade 7 (resized).jpgParade 7 (resized).jpg
#91 5 years ago

Gundam Pilot, you have a Dozer too! I bought mine 15 years ago from Sturgeon Bay, WI and that game gets played the most at parties.

The only issue I have is the stupid scoring mechanism that I cannot get working correctly no matter how many times I take it apart, clean it, or swap out parts.

If yours works would you consider folding the back down and taking some pictures of scoring mechanism...I may be missing a spring or pieces, but since there are very few out there it is nearly impossible to get help with fixing them.

I also don't have the 8 track player with mine, but the wiring is still in the cabinet for it if I every wanted to track one down.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from dave2236:

Gundam Pilot, you have a Dozer too! I bought mine 15 years ago from Sturgeon Bay, WI and that game gets played the most at parties.
The only issue I have is the stupid scoring mechanism that I cannot get working correctly no matter how many times I take it apart, clean it, or swap out parts.
If yours works would you consider folding the back down and taking some pictures of scoring mechanism...I may be missing a spring or pieces, but since there are very few out there it is nearly impossible to get help with fixing them.
I also don't have the 8 track player with mine, but the wiring is still in the cabinet for it if I every wanted to track one down.

Shoot me a PM with your phone number. I can certainly help you.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Shoot me a PM with your phone number. I can certainly help you.

I have a cubic Ass-ton of EM arcade machines. Its what I do other than Pinball.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

Kidding... Hi Dan

Paul, you should see it now, as I am even more overstocked then before and have absolutely no room to move at all. I have to get over to your house sometime and try out that Metallica and Aerosmith pin.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I wasn't planning on selling any, but I have received a lot of responses from people wanting to buy them, so you never know. I am open to listening.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

I wasn't planning on selling any, but I have received a lot of responses from people wanting to buy them, so you never know. I am open to listening.

I can low-ball you, maybe offer a busted lawnmower and some buttons.

Just kidding.

It's really hard to say, as with exchange, us purchases creep up real fast.

If you do have any thoughts, I'd be happy to take this to pm on a more serious note. Keep in mind, winter travel sucks, but clearly you're not in a rush, and neither am I.

1 month later
#97 5 years ago

Is anyone selling just the decal for the front glass?

I'd like a new one, but shipping would be a killer. Thanks

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from cjmiller:

Is anyone selling just the decal for the front glass?
I'd like a new one, but shipping would be a killer. Thanks

Somewhere on my computer I have the files to print the artwork and mask.

#99 5 years ago

I just reaquired this Bally game from the era. Circa 1957. I only know of two others in the US besides mine. (Pinball Hall Of Fame in Las Vegas & Dan Ferguson’s Lone Star Pinball Museum in Hockley, TX)
Time to get it back operational and I plan to repaint the cabinet back to factory spec

3161D066-F934-453B-BF03-5E14A289A956 (resized).jpeg3161D066-F934-453B-BF03-5E14A289A956 (resized).jpeg39DCA8D7-2E32-4216-B22A-82ACA90A6C54 (resized).jpeg39DCA8D7-2E32-4216-B22A-82ACA90A6C54 (resized).jpegC20529EE-82BC-4F50-B50D-859C2F8C18C9 (resized).jpegC20529EE-82BC-4F50-B50D-859C2F8C18C9 (resized).jpeg
#100 5 years ago

That thing is awesome!
Bet it’s a blast to play.
Anyone seen a Lite-A-Diamond yet?

There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll/page/2?hl=per3per3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.