IMG_5141 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_3896 (resized).jpeg
20240114_103307 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 28.
#1151 1 year ago

I'm someone who wants a Skill Roll but doesn't have one yet. I've been watching and bidding on these for the last few years but nothing clicked, last one I had lined up for $3500, not working needing restore, got sold out from under me for $3800. I've never seen one go for $8,000, even in the big auctions with fees, still under $7,000.
Right now is just not a good time for me to take on another project, I just got a Ringer and am restoring a White lightning or I'd bid on this one.
I will say, it really rubs me the wrong way when a seller says it's got broken parts but is "working 100%" if the thing has the wrong motor and doesn't score properly it's not working 100% period.
I'd offer $4 K or maybe a little more for this one if the timing was better for me, I don't see these fetching more than $6-7 grand tops, most pinheads don't know or care about this old oddball stuff. My excitement for old em stuff is almost always met with a blank stare from most pinheads!
Good luck with the sale.
B

#1152 1 year ago

Guess it's a FS thread now. LOL. I like Ringer but for me value wise, it's not even in the same number of digits (3) for as a nice Skill Roll (4). For one, Ringer is a bore to play alone.

Doesn't score right? Guess I missed that it scores 20% slower. Maybe the seller could have someone look at it that is knowledgeable about rebuilding motors.

#1153 1 year ago
Quoted from ZooDude:

I'm someone who wants a Skill Roll but doesn't have one yet. I've been watching and bidding on these for the last few years but nothing clicked, last one I had lined up for $3500, not working needing restore, got sold out from under me for $3800. I've never seen one go for $8,000, even in the big auctions with fees, still under $7,000.
Right now is just not a good time for me to take on another project, I just got a Ringer and am restoring a White lightning or I'd bid on this one.
I will say, it really rubs me the wrong way when a seller says it's got broken parts but is "working 100%" if the thing has the wrong motor and doesn't score properly it's not working 100% period.
I'd offer $4 K or maybe a little more for this one if the timing was better for me, I don't see these fetching more than $6-7 grand tops, most pinheads don't know or care about this old oddball stuff. My excitement for old em stuff is almost always met with a blank stare from most pinheads!
Good luck with the sale.
B

Thanks for the additional context on values. I am trying to be transparent about condition. You might have missed the word "otherwise" when I said "plays 100% otherwise". I meant that besides the slow scoring motor, nothing else needs attention. That being said, I tried to edit the post to remove 100% to avoid any confusion but you can't edit a post after 24hrs.

#1154 1 year ago
Quoted from DudebroWTF:

Thanks for the additional context on values. I am trying to be transparent about condition. You might have missed the word "otherwise" when I said "plays 100% otherwise". I meant that besides the slow scoring motor, nothing else needs attention. That being said, I tried to edit the post to remove 100% to avoid any confusion but you can't edit a post after 24hrs.

All good dude bro! Not trying to be a jerk, just a personal hang up of mine with the 100% thing. You should try to get as much$ as you can, that's the deal! no fault there in my opinion. Best of luck
B

#1155 1 year ago

I hope it sells quickly.

#1156 1 year ago

Getting lively in here. I got lucky on the one I bought as it was seriously undervalued. Mine is complete and working and if I needed to sell it, Id put $5,000 tag on it and go from there. There will be people that argue it can't be worth close to a new Stern price, but they are still making new Sterns

#1157 1 year ago

Would love to hear what this one ends up selling for. People must have way more disposable income than I ever will have. What kind of jobs do you rich Skill Roll owners have? Haha

#1158 1 year ago

In Wisconsin we have to stack the two deep just to have room for them all.

917A53A4-63A2-4118-83CC-D6229A7D5A88 (resized).jpeg917A53A4-63A2-4118-83CC-D6229A7D5A88 (resized).jpeg
#1159 1 year ago

Please remember that the Skill Roll prices peaked during the lockdown, as did everything pinball related. As the tides ebbs, I certainly expect the same for the priciest of skill rolls

#1160 1 year ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

In Wisconsin we have to stack the two deep just to have room for them all.
[quoted image]

You should squeeze yourself between them to stay warm

#1161 1 year ago
Quoted from edward472:

You should squeeze yourself between them to stay warm

It’s 35 and sunny today. How warm do you want it?

#1162 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

Please remember that the Skill Roll prices peaked during the lockdown, as did everything pinball related. As the tides ebbs, I certainly expect the same for the priciest of skill rolls

I sure hope so. I'd love to buy a reasonably priced pin again

#1163 1 year ago

Did it sell for $5,000 yet?

#1164 1 year ago

Been a long time since this has happened

PXL_20221126_185516064 (resized).jpgPXL_20221126_185516064 (resized).jpg
#1165 1 year ago

I have not sold my Skill Roll yet. I think I will be posting it on ebay next week.

And to provide some non-sale content in this thread. My Skill Roll was missing the original coin chute cover panel. At some point, someone double sided taped a piece of plywood in there. luckily I was able to remove that with no trace. I designed and had an exact replica made using pre-galv steel (also like the original). If anyone needs one, I could probably have some more made.

IMG_1510 (resized).jpgIMG_1510 (resized).jpgIMG_1539 (resized).jpgIMG_1539 (resized).jpg
#1166 1 year ago
Quoted from DudebroWTF:

I have not sold my Skill Roll yet. I think I will be posting it on ebay next week.
And to provide some non-sale content in this thread. My Skill Roll was missing the original coin chute cover panel. At some point, someone double sided taped a piece of plywood in there. luckily I was able to remove that with no trace. I designed and had an exact replica made using pre-galv steel (also like the original). If anyone needs one, I could probably have some more made.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice

#1167 1 year ago
Quoted from DudebroWTF:

Awesome! I think jeffc might be interested.

#1168 1 year ago
Quoted from tstone:

Awesome! I think jeffc might be interested.

Yes I’m interested. PM me more info or just post here.

#1169 1 year ago

I have a sister game called skill parade. Only 250 made. I'm thinking on selling. Out of space and something has to go. Works 100% all flickers have great and even tension. Also has this nickle payout dispenser that appears as a factory add on. Maybe for regions where gambling was legal? Because the paint spot on matches the factory cabinet. Payout drawer is spring loaded to retract. Lots of wood details and metal payout plate. Right now its wired to use the credit counter. But can easily switch to nickle payout with 2 wires. Motor. Payout tube is all there. Located in se wi. Pm me

20221203_205348_HDR (resized).jpg20221203_205348_HDR (resized).jpg20221203_205409 (resized).jpg20221203_205409 (resized).jpg
#1170 1 year ago

You rather get rid of that versus the Death Adder right next to it….

Smh…..

#1171 1 year ago
Quoted from Shawn1976:

You rather get rid of that versus the Death Adder right next to it….
Smh…..

Looks a bit more like Tutankhamun to me, which is even more reason to ditch it. That game is too hard!

#1172 1 year ago
Quoted from DudebroWTF:

If you end up making some, I’ll take one. I’m missing mine

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1173 1 year ago

Ok, I am willing to make a batch of these coin chute cover panels. I will sell them for $50 + shipping. That price will go down if more people want them. PM me and I will send you payment info.

Current interested list:
1. jeffc
2. northvibe

Also, I listed my game on ebay: ebay.com link: itm

#1174 1 year ago
Quoted from tstone:

Looks a bit more like Tutankhamun to me, which is even more reason to ditch it. That game is too hard!

It is tutankhamn. One of the best classic arcades. Most classic arcades are hard as all shit. Even more reason to keep it.

#1175 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I have a sister game called skill parade. Only 250 made. I'm thinking on selling. Out of space and something has to go. Works 100% all flickers have great and even tension. Also has this nickle payout dispenser that appears as a factory add on. Maybe for regions where gambling was legal? Because the paint spot on matches the factory cabinet. Payout drawer is spring loaded to retract. Lots of wood details and metal payout plate. Right now its wired to use the credit counter. But can easily switch to nickle payout with 2 wires. Motor. Payout tube is all there. Located in se wi. Pm me

Your Skill Parade has a 3-digit credit reel, so Bally clearly intended the option for the game to be operated for gambling on the redemption model (ala their bingo games). Put another way, if the coin payout mechanism were factory-original, the 3-digit credit reels would not be present. I'd say an enterprising operator added the coin-payout mechanism, and I love that. If you score a winner, is the payout automatically made to the coin cup or is there a knockoff switch you have to trigger to get the coin payoff? I've got a 1950 Turf King that was altered back in the day to do coin payouts, but it has a knockoff switch to trigger the coin mechanism. For anyone still reading, the coin payout mechanism was taken from an earlier Bally Entry game.

#1176 1 year ago
Quoted from BlackCatBone:

For anyone still reading, the coin payout mechanism was taken from an earlier Bally Entry game.

I was riveted right to the end!!

#1177 1 year ago
Quoted from BlackCatBone:

Your Skill Parade has a 3-digit credit reel, so Bally clearly intended the option for the game to be operated for gambling on the redemption model (ala their bingo games). Put another way, if the coin payout mechanism were factory-original, the 3-digit credit reels would not be present. I'd say an enterprising operator added the coin-payout mechanism, and I love that. If you score a winner, is the payout automatically made to the coin cup or is there a knockoff switch you have to trigger to get the coin payoff? I've got a 1950 Turf King that was altered back in the day to do coin payouts, but it has a knockoff switch to trigger the coin mechanism. For anyone still reading, the coin payout mechanism was taken from an earlier Bally Entry game.

you have to change the wires. There are 2 wires to use the counter, or 2 wires to have the payout tube dispense. If this wasn't factory. A whole lot of time and perfect paint match happened to make this. All the art in front, is raised wood inlay. Metal payout printed plate that is stamped. Seems like very high production for a "home made" option. Even the wood is the same as the machine. Seems like it was a secret "add on" behind the scenes.

#1178 1 year ago

What did DudebroWTF’s Skill Roll sell for? Did it end up selling for $5k or more? The pricing of old amusement gizmos is pretty fascinating to me. I don’t quite understand why certain machines sell for so little or so much.

#1179 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

What did DudebroWTF’s Skill Roll sell for? Did it end up selling for $5k or more? The pricing of old amusement gizmos is pretty fascinating to me. I don’t quite understand why certain machines sell for so little or so much.

I posted the ebay link above. The auction is still going. Have you ever played Skill Roll? It's a stand out game compared to many other period pieces. It's addictive and engaging. There is also a rich history of these being on location at bars and supper clubs for decades in Wisconsin and Minnesota where they were very popular at bars/taverns/supper clubs.

#1180 1 year ago

I had never heard of it until I watched one of the Tim Arnold videos about it and I started chasing one down. Picked one up in wisconsin during expo 2008 or 2009 I forget which. Just a fun little game. We take pictures of everyone that gets to the end. I've since played a couple of the others but they don't have the magic (less lines).

When I got it home I made it to the end after 7 tries. But only a couple times since then after 1000's of plays.

A couple groups of kids and one adult figured out how to 'hack' the game, which you can do if you have a large supply of nickels sitting in a bucket next to the game - just keep feeding them in until you get some pretty full lines. Those darn kids!

#1181 1 year ago

people are asking me how much for Skill Parade. I'm thinking 3700. It's fully working 100% Plays good.

#1182 1 year ago

I officially put the Skill Parade skill roll up for sale. With lots more pictures. Especially of the add on. Which has to be factory. Same wood as the cabinet. Same paint and colors used. Same wiring. Must have been a very rare add on.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-parade-skill-roll

#1183 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I officially put the Skill Parade skill roll up for sale. With lots more pictures. Especially of the add on. Which has to be factory. Same wood as the cabinet. Same paint and colors used. Same wiring. Must have been a very rare add on.

500 were made. 250 novelty, 250 replay.

#1184 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Definitely cool. I really like the artwork.

#1185 1 year ago
Quoted from DudebroWTF:

I posted the ebay link above. The auction is still going. Have you ever played Skill Roll? It's a stand out game compared to many other period pieces. It's addictive and engaging. There is also a rich history of these being on location at bars and supper clubs for decades in Wisconsin and Minnesota where they were very popular at bars/taverns/supper clubs.

A big part of the allure is the fast game play. For example, I have a WOZ, everyone loves it, myself included but if you don't have at least twenty minutes to spare, it's not worth starting. Now, it's not like most, or even very many games take over 20 minutes to play but if you are really humming along, it can easily take that long to play a game. With Skill Roll...got a minute? You can play a game. And that also makes it so addicting, because you always feel like you have enough time to drop another nickel in. Next thing you know, you've just spent twenty minutes playing the damn thing. Add to that the concept is so simple, no fancy rules, no special skills needed. Just flick the damn thing and all the while staring at that damn 70 gobble hole sitting there mocking me. When you finally clear it, if you are like me, you are so happy, you lose all focus and end up getting sucked into an 80 hole (even though that last row is much much easier).

Damn game!

#1186 1 year ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

A big part of the allure is the fast game play. For example, I have a WOZ, everyone loves it, myself included but if you don't have at least twenty minutes to spare, it's not worth starting. Now, it's not like most, or even very many games take over 20 minutes to play but if you are really humming along, it can easily take that long to play a game. With Skill Roll...got a minute? You can play a game. And that also makes it so addicting, because you always feel like you have enough time to drop another nickel in. Next thing you know, you've just spent twenty minutes playing the damn thing. Add to that the concept is so simple, no fancy rules, no special skills needed. Just flick the damn thing and all the while staring at that damn 70 gobble hole sitting there mocking me. When you finally clear it, if you are like me, you are so happy, you lose all focus and end up getting sucked into an 80 hole (even though that last row is much much easier).
Damn game!

And it fits damn near anywhere

1 week later
#1187 1 year ago

lowered the price on this bad boy. Fully working. $2900

c82768d23309cc7eb5afa5894b814f5a7399d139 (resized).jpgc82768d23309cc7eb5afa5894b814f5a7399d139 (resized).jpg
#1188 1 year ago

Good Luck on the sale Neo.
Free Bump.
I always enjoy looking at the subtle differences with these machines. My Skill Parade appears to have a slightly different marquee and also does not have the Amusement Only marking in the lower left. Good Luck on the sale!

3C9249FF-CAE1-4A1B-A720-140A96B4B4EC (resized).jpeg3C9249FF-CAE1-4A1B-A720-140A96B4B4EC (resized).jpeg
#1189 1 year ago

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/634459641547609/?mibextid=6ojiHh

Skill score on Facebook

C9D1411C-4E83-4015-9A8E-EB5FB9F09DF7 (resized).jpegC9D1411C-4E83-4015-9A8E-EB5FB9F09DF7 (resized).jpegE223CF32-2CD0-4E9E-8AF5-B1BFCA0A4BF8 (resized).jpegE223CF32-2CD0-4E9E-8AF5-B1BFCA0A4BF8 (resized).jpeg
#1190 1 year ago
Quoted from DudebroWTF:

Ok, I am willing to make a batch of these coin chute cover panels. I will sell them for $50 + shipping. That price will go down if more people want them. PM me and I will send you payment info.
Current interested list:
1. jeffc
2. northvibe
Also, I listed my game on ebay: ebay.com link: itm

My Skill Roll was picked up yesterday. Last call to message me on the coin chute. Chances are this is a once in a lifetime opportunity! jeffc contacted me but I haven't heard from northvibe

#1191 1 year ago

Nice! Did it sell for $5,000?

#1192 1 year ago
Quoted from DudebroWTF:

My Skill Roll was picked up yesterday. Last call to message me on the coin chute. Chances are this is a once in a lifetime opportunity! jeffc contacted me but I haven't heard from northvibe

Oh! I’ll message you

#1193 1 year ago

I swear someone sent me info about the coin box size. Need to get one made.. anyone make one? Just have a sheet metal company bend it?

#1194 1 year ago

Looks like it sold for $4,100. Exactly what I thought it would go for. I'm sure after shipping it would cost the buyer about $5K, seller probably got $3,800 or so after fees.
I'd say the current value of a skill roll is $3500-$5,000.
B

#1195 1 year ago

If anyone wants my Skill parade with nickel payout chute/box. 100% working for $2600. Located in SE WI. Can pallet and ship if need be.

c82768d23309cc7eb5afa5894b814f5a7399d139 (resized).jpgc82768d23309cc7eb5afa5894b814f5a7399d139 (resized).jpg
#1196 1 year ago
Quoted from ZooDude:

Looks like it sold for $4,100. Exactly what I thought it would go for. I'm sure after shipping it would cost the buyer about $5K, seller probably got $3,800 or so after fees.
I'd say the current value of a skill roll is $3500-$5,000.
B

Sweet, thanks!

#1198 1 year ago

Is there a handle on the coin box?

#1199 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

No handle on my coin box.

#1200 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Here's a pic of mine. No handle.

I'm pretty sure it's original as it has hand written totals collected from it dating back to the 1960s. I love that! See pic! Seems to have had nickels collected once per year in Oct.

20221226_191320 (resized).jpg20221226_191320 (resized).jpg20221226_191450 (resized).jpg20221226_191450 (resized).jpg

There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.