IMG_5141 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_3896 (resized).jpeg
20240114_103307 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 28.
#1051 2 years ago
Quoted from Shawn1976:

There’s an original handle on EBay right now.
ebay.com link: itm

Holy "Lets go Brandon", $300 what a gouge

#1052 2 years ago
Quoted from Shawn1976:

There’s an original handle on EBay right now.
ebay.com link: itm

$300 for a pitted handle is expensive

1 week later
#1053 2 years ago

Not mine, Game for sale

Screenshot_20220117-110027_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220117-110027_Facebook (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1054 2 years ago

OK, so the work is finally done...well, except for needing to build something to serve as the sheet metal back for the coin collector chute, and I don't have the coil and special bracket for the coin catch at the end of the game or the fancy stainless on the wood lock-down. That said, it plays great and all-in-all, happy with the results.

For those who remember, this was one of a pair of games that sold awhile ago. I got the one that had the rube goldberg light display on it. Lots to do to remove all the crap, including multiple components added (like game replay counters to track which lights were lit), remove a ton of wires, rewire the scoring disc, install a microswitch for coin-up (I had to steal the 'level switch' that was there since I was missing one on an 80 point slot), new fuse block, cord, etc. I had to install a coin mech as the one in there was a plastic one for Pirate Pete tokens. Then the cabinet stuff, including replacing the bottom 3-4" of rotted wood on the cabinet and the plexi overlay, make a new wood lock-down to replace the formica one and, of course restore the cabinet with lots of bondo, sanding, stencils and paint.

Bottom line is it looks presentable, plays well and, most importantly, is definitely a 'just one more', highly addictive game. As always, it takes me a village to restore these....so first, thanks to Bill @sbmainia for getting the pair to begin with and then packing and shipping it to me Next Travis Trizel for the handles, springs and coin decal, Ken pinhead52 for commissioning the stencils, Jeff, pinball pimp, for making the stencils, Shawn Shawn1976 for the plexi overlay, and everyone else that helped me on the journey.

skill roll original (resized).jpgskill roll original (resized).jpgskillroll1 (resized).jpgskillroll1 (resized).jpgskillroll2 (resized).jpgskillroll2 (resized).jpgpiratepetetoken (resized).jpgpiratepetetoken (resized).jpg
#1055 2 years ago

Nice job!
Welcome to the club!

#1056 2 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

OK, so the work is finally done...well, except for needing to build something to serve as the sheet metal back for the coin collector chute, and I don't have the coil and special bracket for the coin catch at the end of the game or the fancy stainless on the wood lock-down. That said, it plays great and all-in-all, happy with the results.
For those who remember, this was one of a pair of games that sold awhile ago. I got the one that had the rube goldberg light display on it. Lots to do to remove all the crap, including multiple components added (like game replay counters to track which lights were lit), remove a ton of wires, rewire the scoring disc, install a microswitch for coin-up (I had to steal the 'level switch' that was there since I was missing one on an 80 point slot), new fuse block, cord, etc. I had to install a coin mech as the one in there was a plastic one for Pirate Pete tokens. Then the cabinet stuff, including replacing the bottom 3-4" of rotted wood on the cabinet and the plexi overlay, make a new wood lock-down to replace the formica one and, of course restore the cabinet with lots of bondo, sanding, stencils and paint.
Bottom line is it looks presentable, plays well and, most importantly, is definitely a 'just one more', highly addictive game. As always, it takes me a village to restore these....so first, thanks to Bill @sbmainia for getting the pair to begin with and then packing and shipping it to me Next Travis Trizel for the handles, springs and coin decal, Ken pinhead52 for commissioning the stencils, Jeff, pinball pimp, for making the stencils, Shawn Shawn1976 for the plexi overlay, and everyone else that helped me on the journey. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

did you use the Pimp stencils?

#1057 2 years ago
Quoted from Trizel:

Not mine, Game for sale [quoted image]

It's all about the destination congrats I'll leave this here. Your natural wood color is awesome too!
20211024_120610 (resized).jpg20211024_120610 (resized).jpg

#1058 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

did you use the Pimp stencils?

Yes, I used Jeff's stencils. I had an issue with the front (all of my own making). I used a textured base coat (bed liner) and it was pretty windy when I tried to lay it down (I'm not a patient person) so I had a ton of bleed-through and lots of touch-up. When I did the sides, I knocked down the texture a bit with a quick pass of 320 grit and painted when calm. Much, much better results.

#1059 2 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Yes, I used Jeff's stencils. I had an issue with the front (all of my own making). I used a textured base coat (bed liner) and it was pretty windy when I tried to lay it down (I'm not a patient person) so I had a ton of bleed-through and lots of touch-up. When I did the sides, I knocked down the texture a bit with a quick pass of 320 grit and painted when calm. Much, much better results.

My biggest issue is I painted the foot separately from the body and it didnt match. i did have a little touchup but not bad. I did cut the side stencils in half, they were pretty long to get laid down in 1 pass

#1060 2 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

so first, thanks to Bill @sbmainia for getting the pair to begin with and then packing and shipping it to me Next Travis Trizel for the handles, springs and coin decal, Ken pinhead52 for commissioning the stencils, Jeff, pinball pimp, for making the stencils, Shawn Shawn1976 for the plexi overlay, and everyone else that helped me on the journey. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats I like the natural wood look. Bringing one of these back is a passage well done. Happy to have helped!

#1061 2 years ago

And i have a resource that can make fine numeral stencils if you want to add the serial number back

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1062 2 years ago

Oh man, doing the stencils and paint would be sweet.

Are there brands and color codes we can save for anyone doing the paint?

#1063 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

And i have a resource that can make fine numeral stencils if you want to add the serial number back
[quoted image]

I'm going to have to pass on that.....(Trust me, there is a reason why I always leave my games pressed up against a wall! )

#1064 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Oh man, doing the stencils and paint would be sweet.
Are there brands and color codes we can save for anyone doing the paint?

Read pane 20, it will give you the colors

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00296BB60

for the base

1 month later
#1066 2 years ago

The base has been modified, and it looks like it has been modified to return the nickel you just played with. The inside lower portion is also painted purple.

3 weeks later
1 month later
#1068 1 year ago

Brought home my second Skill Roll. May be available for sale. Edit: Sold

SkillRoll (resized).jpgSkillRoll (resized).jpg

#1069 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Brought home my second Skill Roll. May be available for sale.
[quoted image]

Sell? No you have to wire them up back-2-back for fierce HEAD2HEAD SKILLROLL BATTLES

#1070 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

Sell? No you have to wire them up back-2-back for fierce HEAD2HEAD SKILLROLL BATTLES

Trust me, there was part of me thinking I should have one upstairs and one down stairs.

#1071 1 year ago

The best part about upright machines like Skill Roll is that when you renovate your bathroom you can install one in your walk-in shower stall

#1072 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Trust me, there was part of me thinking I should have one upstairs and one down stairs.

Listen to that part of you

#1073 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexF:Brought home my second Skill Roll. May be available for sale. Edit: Sold
[quoted image]

Nice pickup Alex seller didn't want to ship it.

#1074 1 year ago

13th try after aetting it up.

20220625_222616 (resized).jpg20220625_222616 (resized).jpg
#1075 1 year ago

I'm still trying to break 400pts.

#1076 1 year ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

13th try after aetting it up.
[quoted image]

What were your points?
Nice flicking

#1077 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What were your points?
Nice flicking

I think 310 on that one. Did it 3 times last night and I think high was 350. My 70 is too easy. May have to adjust it a little.

#1078 1 year ago

My 70 is a mf'r.

#1079 1 year ago

My 70 is hard also. You just have to barely roll it over the hump. After that my luck on the 80 line is about 50%.

2 months later
#1080 1 year ago

I just realized after someone sent me a message that I never shared my stencil connect for skill roll.

He made these wrap around the front not come short as shown in my restore photos

Stencils airbrushmagicorlando.com
Ed. 407 292 4499

Ed is a very great guy.

#1081 1 year ago
Quoted from Trizel:

I just realized after someone sent me a message that I never shared my stencil connect for skill roll.
He made these wrap around the front not come short as shown in my restore photos
Stencils airbrushmagicorlando.com
Ed. 407 292 4499
Ed is a very great guy.

And Pinball pimp has these as well

#1082 1 year ago

New here. Recently purchased this Skill Roll. Seems like all the em stuff works good. Once I acquire all the parts I need I will begin giving it a facelift. Looking for 7 flippers as only 1 of 8 are good or a complete set of 8 new ones. Front glass decal and a lock and ring for the change door. Any help or tips is appreciated.

77F99643-8833-4545-9A6A-B431CF6971FE (resized).jpeg77F99643-8833-4545-9A6A-B431CF6971FE (resized).jpeg
#1083 1 year ago

Did anyone happen to see pricing on the one that sold at Captains Auction recently. +5k plus additional fees.

#1084 1 year ago
Quoted from Chris920:

New here. Recently purchased this Skill Roll. Seems like all the em stuff works good. Once I acquire all the parts I need I will begin giving it a facelift. Looking for 7 flippers as only 1 of 8 are good or a complete set of 8 new ones. Front glass decal and a lock and ring for the change door. Any help or tips is appreciated.
[quoted image]

Looks like you have 4 original flippers. Maybe they need adjusting? Why do you think you only have 1?

Original flippers are valuable. You could potentially trade your 4 originals for a set of 8 repros.

#1085 1 year ago
Quoted from Chris920:

[quoted image]

The best replacement glass is this one:
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/skill-roll/

There are others that have wrong colors or even wrong number of blue stripes at the top.

You could also buy a decal much cheaper.

#1086 1 year ago
Quoted from Chris920:

[quoted image]

I have 2-3 cans of the trunk paint left over if you have any issue sourcing.

And Trizel was da man for repro handles. He also had the removal tool recreated...

#1087 1 year ago
Quoted from Chris920:Front glass decal

I have a decal for the glass that I ended up not using because the print was blotchy. It’s better than nothing though.

$20 + shipping

Shoot me a DM if you’re interested.

2B15BF6B-1B99-47FB-BE1E-2EAEDFF6EE98 (resized).jpeg2B15BF6B-1B99-47FB-BE1E-2EAEDFF6EE98 (resized).jpeg8DB914B1-80B1-4F24-9740-462306B80A7C (resized).jpeg8DB914B1-80B1-4F24-9740-462306B80A7C (resized).jpegBD14096E-6840-4018-BF00-179C2D6223A4 (resized).jpegBD14096E-6840-4018-BF00-179C2D6223A4 (resized).jpegF71057E9-146B-4294-AB9D-5804C08E8750 (resized).jpegF71057E9-146B-4294-AB9D-5804C08E8750 (resized).jpegF74574FE-8AA8-43DE-A0F2-58E515F1EFB0 (resized).jpegF74574FE-8AA8-43DE-A0F2-58E515F1EFB0 (resized).jpeg
#1088 1 year ago

Felt good to come up after weeks of not playing and pull of a 400 score

20220907_161324 (resized).jpg20220907_161324 (resized).jpg
#1089 1 year ago

Skill roll will be at CLE-Pin free play floor again this year.

7D05AB18-09A9-45CB-955A-D17C8301F4B2 (resized).jpeg7D05AB18-09A9-45CB-955A-D17C8301F4B2 (resized).jpeg
#1090 1 year ago

Any of these for sale anywhere ?

#1091 1 year ago

I had someone come over to the house last week to review some documents. The last time he was over, I was in the proess of restoring it, so he asked if I had finished it. We went down to the game room so he could see it and play a couple of games. On about the second roll, he made it over the 70 but then missed on the 80 row. Damn, Hooked! He spent the next hour trying to light the star. It went past lunch time but he kept playing. I even made the not-so-subtle hint of saying "I need to take the dog out to pee". Left the room, came back ten minutes later and he was getting another handful of nickels from the coin box (I always leave the key in it). Thank god, he finally lit the damn star! Never had a game that was as addictive as this one. I used to think that was a good thing, not so sure anymore.

#1092 1 year ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Did anyone happen to see pricing on the one that sold at Captains Auction recently. +5k plus additional fees.

Do you have a link to the Skill-Roll you referenced? I couldn't find it.

#1093 1 year ago
Quoted from tstone:

Looks like you have 4 original flippers. Maybe they need adjusting? Why do you think you only have 1?
Original flippers are valuable. You could potentially trade your 4 originals for a set of 8 repros.

Quoted from tstone:

Only one has a good spline that interlock'swith the shaft.

#1094 1 year ago

I have been part of the thread from the start but with so many posts its a pain to find what replacement parts are out there and where. Any chance we could compile a list of available parts/sources and pin it to the top of the thread?

#1095 1 year ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I have been part of the thread from the start but with so many posts its a pain to find what replacement parts are out there and where. Any chance we could compile a list of available parts/sources and pin it to the top of the thread?

Here's the easy list I have most of the parts listed on the restore thread

Mopar has the glass decal

Shawn has the plastic that goes between the playfield and glass

#1096 1 year ago
Quoted from Chris920:

Are you sure the gulmite screws don't need to be tightened?

#1097 1 year ago

I will also say if the bushing/mech/spring of the handles are gummed up and not clean they may not move or move like crap.

#1098 1 year ago
Quoted from bbble:

Any of these for sale anywhere ?

may the odds forever be in your favour

#1099 1 year ago
Quoted from Trizel:

Here's the easy list I have most of the parts listed on the restore thread
Mopar has the glass decal
Shawn has the plastic that goes between the playfield and glass

And CPR has the screened glass.

#1100 1 year ago
Quoted from Chris920:

As the others say...I suspect cleaning or tightening may get you set at least with those 4.

Kind of hard to imagine the spline actually wearing to the point of uselessness...but possible!

There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll/page/22?hl=nhpolarbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.