criss_cross_hockey_coin (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
fghjk (resized).png
mnb (resized).png
ghjkl (resized).png
hjkl (resized).png

There are 1035 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 21.
#951 3 months ago

So I am slowly making progress and am down to a couple of difficult issues. One being the aforementioned lack of one of the bracket/lever component on the backboard that holds the leaf springs (I have a dangling leaf spring) and trying to source it. The second is the coil to hold the nickel. Obviously, this isn't critical to game play; however, I'd like to put this on, if possible. I saw one video from vintage coin op that suggested this was not an off-the-shelf. I'm guessing it's part M-101-48 but that may be the lockout at the coin entry. Does anyone know if this part is available anywhere?

1 week later
#952 3 months ago

If anyone has a machine where the counters were moved to the coin box and they work. Can you take some wiring pictures and share them with me? Currently mine is not wired up correctly. Msg me for email if needed. Thanks

20210713_105506 (resized).jpg
#953 3 months ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

So I am slowly making progress and am down to a couple of difficult issues. One being the aforementioned lack of one of the bracket/lever component on the backboard that holds the leaf springs (I have a dangling leaf spring) and trying to source it. The second is the coil to hold the nickel. Obviously, this isn't critical to game play; however, I'd like to put this on, if possible. I saw one video from vintage coin op that suggested this was not an off-the-shelf. I'm guessing it's part M-101-48 but that may be the lockout at the coin entry. Does anyone know if this part is available anywhere?

The coil mechanism uses a spring loaded plunger to hold the coin in position when the coil is not energized. Then, the coil momentarily energizes at game start, pulling the plunger in to allow the nickel to drop. It then immediately de-energizes. As such, I would think almost any em pinball coil should work fine for the application. Maybe a knocker coil or something similar?

#954 3 months ago
Quoted from Trizel:

If anyone has a machine where the counters were moved to the coin box and they work. Can you take some wiring pictures and share them with me? Currently mine is not wired up correctly. Msg me for email if needed. Thanks [quoted image]

Wouldn't the wiring be the same even if they aren't moved? I can shoot you pics of how they are wired in the backbox

#955 3 months ago
Quoted from sbmania:

The coil mechanism uses a spring loaded plunger to hold the coin in position when the coil is not energized. Then, the coil momentarily energizes at game start, pulling the plunger in to allow the nickel to drop. It then immediately de-energizes. As such, I would think almost any em pinball coil should work fine for the application. Maybe a knocker coil or something similar?

The challenge is in finding the appropriate bracket with a short plunger that can be mounted horizonatally. Every knocker I've seen is mounted vertically on a bracket that runs lengthwise with a fairly long plunger. I may have to try to fabricate something. Given how rare and odd this part is, I do think you are onto something in that if one were to crop up on ebay, it might very well be listed as a knocker.

#956 3 months ago

Here is a pic of mine. Looks to be a 7(?)84152 coil number on the wrapper.
If you'd like I can take mine apart and get pics/dimensions of the plunger and spring and an ohm reading of the coil. But it might be a few days as I am pretty busy right now.

skill coin release coil (resized).jpg
#957 3 months ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Here is a pic of mine. Looks to be a 7(?)84152 coil number on the wrapper.
If you'd like I can take mine apart and get pics/dimensions of the plunger and spring and an ohm reading of the coil. But it might be a few days as I am pretty busy right now.
[quoted image]

No need for coil info, however, whenever it is convenient for you, if you can get some pics and dimensions on the bracket and plunger that would be great. No rush at all.
Thanks

#958 3 months ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

No need for coil info, however, whenever it is convenient for you, if you can get some pics and dimensions on the bracket and plunger that would be great. No rush at all.
Thanks

The coil one mine says 184152. I emailed you dimension pics of the whole assembly. Gave me a reason to break out the good ruler.

#959 3 months ago

this is ending today https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/104925969_ballay-5-cent-coin-slot-arcade-game
I kind of love the "Only 5c" paint job

skillroll (resized).jpg
#960 3 months ago

Up in Wisconsin’s Northwoods on vacation. Was surprised to see this in a bar we ate dinner at last night.

FEB71850-2675-4413-BC65-CB47434409A9 (resized).jpeg
#961 3 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Up in Wisconsin’s Northwoods on vacation. Was surprised to see this in a bar we ate dinner at last night.
[quoted image]

Yes that's pretty cool. Did you ask to play?

#962 3 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Up in Wisconsin’s Northwoods on vacation.

Are you at the Blue Ox by chance? Someone posted before that they saw a skill roll at the Blue Ox and wondered if you were at the same place or if you've discovered a new place with a skill roll...

Dave

#963 3 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

this is ending today

$2250 + 23% buyers fee = $2767.50

#964 3 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

this is ending today

I believe it said 35 people watching but no one bid when it went live. Curious if it was just all of us.

#965 3 months ago
Quoted from DBaron:

$2250 + 23% buyers fee = $2767.50

For a skill roll with the wrong paint job, wrong glass, and it didn't work, at least not 100%, that seems like a lot. Glad I got one a long time ago.

#966 3 months ago
Quoted from Trizel:

I believe it said 35 people watching but no one bid when it went live. Curious if it was just all of us.

I wonder if the "liveauctioneers" site, which is just an auction aggregator, doesn't get updated immediately with the live hammer prices. We'll see. Still, $2767 USD is a good chunk of change already

#967 3 months ago
Quoted from Trizel:

Yes that's pretty cool. Did you ask to play?

No it was shut off and I have one at home. Was mostly just excited to see it.

Quoted from egyptrus:

Are you at the Blue Ox by chance? Someone posted before that they saw a skill roll at the Blue Ox and wondered if you were at the same place or if you've discovered a new place with a skill roll...
Dave

No, this wasn't the Blue Ox. I'm tempted to say where but can picture every coin-op collector within 150 miles swooping in to make an offer. I bet they get a few regular offers anyway.

Interesting this one had the all red, black and yellow glass. You can tell it's been in there for a long time as it was heavily flaked. There was a plaque with the history of where it came from. I should have taken a pic of that but everyone was headed out the door.

#968 3 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I should have taken a pic of that but everyone was headed out the door.

Like almost all of us, our families don't really understand why we get jazzed up about seeing things like skill roll in the wild...it's all good.

Oddly enough, when the other person posted about the game at the blue ox, I did exactly what you're talking about and contacted the place to see if they'd be willing to sell. They told me that they don't sell games but also told me that they don't get a lot of people asking about it. Things may have changed over the last couple of years but I'm guessing most folks don't even notice this type of game, especially if it's not plugged in and ready to play.

#969 3 months ago
Quoted from Trizel:

Mine. I played one of these several years ago and it instantly hooked me and became a quest to find one. Maybe I spent a bit more than reasonable but talked myself into it considering pinflation lately. Plus this one's been on my radar for so long and they come up for sale every once in a never. I've been following this thread and so glad to finally be in this elite club.

#970 3 months ago

Eh a worse condition one sold for 4k recently you did alright. Congrats! Share pictures when you get it please! I was of the impression it needs minor adjustments to work.

#971 3 months ago

Just saw there are the plastic playfields available on ebay again. Are these made by anyone in the group? If so, give a shout if you're willing to sell outside of ebay and their fees. $130 shipped seems like a lot.

#972 3 months ago

It’s me.
I sent you a pm with the $90 shipped total.

Quoted from BeachPickle:

Just saw there are the plastic playfields available on ebay again. Are these made by anyone in the group? If so, give a shout if you're willing to sell outside of ebay and their fees. $130 shipped seems like a lot.

#973 3 months ago

Love it or hate it mod I completed today.

#975 3 months ago

Didn't want to discount anyone here. I just posted a BSR for sale.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/118367

#976 3 months ago
Quoted from Trizel:

Didn't want to discount anyone here. I just posted a BSR for sale.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/118367

Did you have 2 or are you selling the one you just restored?

2 weeks later
#977 70 days ago
Quoted from Trizel:Love it or hate it mod I completed today.

I like those. I’d need to add them as well to play at night.

2 weeks later
#978 56 days ago
Quoted from gutz:

I have worked with a machinist to make reproduction handles and shaft assemblies. The handles are machined aluminum and the shafts are steel. They are connected by a roll pin instead of a gulmite screw. The handle and shaft must be replaced together, as the repro handles and shaft cannot work with a factory handle or factory shaft. These will bolt up to the factory inner handle flicking arm, so your machine needs to have those complete assemblies. The asembled handle/shaft reproductions are available for $50 each and the handle will come with a machined aluminum finish. I will leave the chroming or polishing duties to the buyer. The pictures shown are after the aluminum handles have been polished. The machine on the left is factory, the machine on the right has reproduction handles/shafts. Lead time will likely be 3-4 weeks based on the machinists schedule, and the orders will be batched together to make minimum order sizes. PM if you're interested.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey I have one broken handle to a skill roll (alingment keys sheared off). Anybody replaced theirs and can sell a single?

#979 52 days ago

Hey all so some BSR collectors are finding this thread or are finding their own grail BSR games. I have been getting alot of messages for handles.

In regards to replacement handles these are the options from what I know today.

1. Gutz for handle and handle arms repro
2. Me for slightly different handle only repro
3. Shapeways, no experience with this option.
4. Playing the long game looking for spare originals

As for me with option 2 my cnc guy takes side jobs like these but mostly does industry orders. So my requests get back burner priority. Usually 2 or 3 months. I don't get charged a setup fee thankfully but I can't keep pinging him with 1 and 2 handles at a time.

Bottom line I'm not going to put in an order with him from here on out until i have cumulative requests for atleast 8 handles. I also don't see a need to keep any stock on hand.

Again here is a picture of the repros I can get.
Left original
Right repro

20210430_174553 (resized).jpg
#980 52 days ago

Wow...the new ones sure are purty. How do they feel, weight-wise, compared to the old ones?

#981 51 days ago
Quoted from boagman:

Wow...the new ones sure are purty. How do they feel, weight-wise, compared to the old ones?

Repro .42 ounces heavier

20210905_131455 (resized).jpg20210905_131446 (resized).jpg
#982 51 days ago

I have alot of experience with Shapeways but to 3d print / cast in aluminum is expensive.

Hit me up if you want to ask me any questions.

Alternatively there is another 3d printer and online cnc company in Italy called Weerg and all you need is the 3d file - yell out if you need a hand,

cheers

ps the handles and coin chute look sweet, well done

these are my reproduction parts through shapeways
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksreproduction&sort=newest

2 weeks later
#983 31 days ago

Restored Skill Roll for sale here:
https://www.coinopclub.org/classified-ads

Only look at price if you don't have a heart condition.

#984 31 days ago

Here is my painting using Duplicolor grey and white trunk splatter (spray) paint.

I worked with da Pimp to get stencils made from dudah seed files, they should show up today.

pasted_image (resized).pngqwerty (resized).png
#985 31 days ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Here is my painting using Duplicolor grey and white trunk splatter (spray) paint.
I worked with da Pimp to get stencils made from dudah seed files, they should show up today.[quoted image][quoted image]

Wait, pinball pimp stencils? We may finally have stencils for skill roll available to buy?

#986 31 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Wait, pinball pimp stencils? We may finally have stencils for skill roll available to buy?

yea he always charges me way too mush money for getting him scans and seed files, suggesting these are always one of stencils. If you order a set bug him for me PinballPimp

A couple more pics where I needed to replace the cab extensions, it got wet at one point and was in bad shape, cut off with the cir saw and then doweled for strength

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#987 29 days ago

First crack with PinballPimp stencils... not too shabby. Rustoleum Apple Red

ghjk (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#988 29 days ago

Oh man my front paint is missing. Looks good!!

#989 28 days ago

molotow signal yellow

ghjkl (resized).pnghjkl (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#990 28 days ago

HOT DOG! that looks good!

What did you use for the base gray/black fleck paint?

#991 28 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What did you use for the base gray/black fleck paint?

Quoted from pinhead52:

#992 28 days ago

amazon.com link »

Finished the art painting

mnb (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#993 27 days ago

Bravo sir!
Excellent work!

#994 27 days ago

That looks great! Thanks for posting regarding the stencils and providing the paint type and colors. I might restore my cab at some point!

#996 27 days ago

Saw that on Ebay this morning. Too pricey for me and too far away.

I got my Skill Roll from an auction house in Ohio. I think I paid $450.00 for it missing the glass and coin rejector. Picked up a glass from Clay at the Pinball Expo in Chicago years back. Two years ago, I picked up the horse race version. Forgot the name. That one is pretty cool too. Just wondering if anyone has the whole set or if anyone actually enjoys the other Skill games. They don't seem to be as popular. More of a chance game than Skill. Skillroll is all about the skill.

Funny note. It took me months to win the damn thing. My thumb was numb whenever I played it. That feeling finally went away, but anyway, my mom played it when she visited years ago and won it on the first try. She's like "That wasn't so hard."

#997 27 days ago
Quoted from popperette:

Saw that on Ebay this morning. Too pricey for me and too far away.
I got my Skill Roll from an auction house in Ohio. I think I paid $450.00 for it missing the glass and coin rejector. Picked up a glass from Clay at the Pinball Expo in Chicago years back. Two years ago, I picked up the horse race version. Forgot the name. That one is pretty cool too. Just wondering if anyone has the whole set or if anyone actually enjoys the other Skill games. They don't seem to be as popular. More of a chance game than Skill. Skillroll is all about the skill.
Funny note. It took me months to win the damn thing. My thumb was numb whenever I played it. That feeling finally went away, but anyway, my mom played it when she visited years ago and won it on the first try. She's like "That wasn't so hard."

A local buddy Bob Herb has three of these, how many were there?

And last two pics for now... including a recreate (painted) of the serial number.

fghjk (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#998 27 days ago

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3232

1500 confirmed at ipdb. I thought it was 800 but I just double checked.

I can't believe how pricey these are getting! It is a blast though and a lot of people love it at parties. I had to have one after seeing it in an old Tim Arnold video and drove to Wisconsin to pick it up.

I got to the bottom on my 7th game after setting it up! The last shot is pretty much luck though.

#999 27 days ago

Trizels is a gem of a restoration, he has up for sale now.
A Bargain, IMO, to the cost and time of restoring the one on Ebay.

I heard from a friend thats looking for the 3-6 pieces of these that were in the Sarasota Museum.
They may be sitting all in one garage. Ill keep my fingers crossed he finds them!!

#1000 25 days ago

Last pic I probably stained the wood way too dark. but it hides the booboos. quite a number of cigerate burns on the top removeable wood piece

There are 1035 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside