IMG_5141 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_3896 (resized).jpeg
20240114_103307 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 28.
#651 3 years ago

Wonder why they drilled that second hole in the coin door?

#653 3 years ago

did anyone watch? I stepped away for 10 minutes and I missed it

#654 3 years ago

It ended at $2200, not bad!

#655 3 years ago

+ 23% auction premium
And it was a non working one.
& shipping if needed

Bit much I think

#656 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

It ended at $2200, not bad!

oh, no one bid on it during the live auction? It was at $2200 when the online pre-bidding ended

#657 3 years ago

Hey guys what metal and finish is the original 5c plate. Stainless steel?

#658 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

oh, no one bid on it during the live auction? It was at $2200 when the online pre-bidding ended

for the record, after auction buyer premium it sold for $2706 USD + any applicable taxes

#659 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

for the record, after auction buyer premium it sold for $2706 USD + any applicable taxes

For a non working all there skill roll that was possibly repainted and definitely worked on electrically.

#660 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Here are the tnut's that have screw holes
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8-in-Zinc-Plated-Standard-SAE-Brad-Hole-Tee-Nut/3012553
The leg levelers look like pinball ones. I have tile floor and the arcade games are harder to see the feet so maybe use the leg levelers with the nylon on the bottom?
marco
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/LL3NW

I got these legs but they definitely have to be cut just FYI for future people.

#661 3 years ago
Quoted from Trizel:

I got these legs but they definitely have to be cut just FYI for future people.

Remember how much you had to cut? I still have to install my feet :/

#662 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Remember how much you had to cut? I still have to install my feet :/

20201020_085240 (resized).jpg20201020_085240 (resized).jpg
#663 3 years ago

has anyone ever taken the playfield rails off to repaint them ?

#664 3 years ago

I wouldn’t.
Their secured using tiny pins.
You snap one off and your done.

Quoted from Trizel:

has anyone ever taken the playfield rails off to repaint them ?

#665 3 years ago

Skill Roll just migrated to my office last weekend. I have had it since 2006. It's spent time and in 4 different rooms in my house. And even went out to visit O-din in California for part of 2019-2020. Getting a coin-op game displayed upstairs takes a special machine.

SkilRoll2020 (resized).jpgSkilRoll2020 (resized).jpg
#666 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Skill Roll just migrated to my office last weekend. I have had it since 2006. It's spent time and in 4 different rooms in my house. And even went out to visit O-din in California for part of 2019-2020. Getting a coin-op game displayed upstairs takes a special machine.
[quoted image]

It's so small it fits pretty much anywhere. That's one of the big reasons I like it. I won't ever not have enough room for it. If you have room for a book shelf, you have room for a Skill Roll. I had to take mine out of the background of my video conference calls though because people kept asking about it.

#667 3 years ago

I am looking into repoing the coin plate and coin plate logo. The original logo was screen printed on the plate. The repro would have a vinyl decal.

Before I place an order I would like to see if anyone is even interested.

Including pictures of my plate removal and the decal I had made next to my plate.

I am thinking it may be around 20$ for a new plate with decal or 5$ for just a decal or 15$ for only a plate.

Pm me or let me know.

20201021_091025 (resized).jpg20201021_091025 (resized).jpg20201023_163953 (resized).jpg20201023_163953 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#668 3 years ago

Attached is a page from a book on Boulder Jct WI’s history. This is a watering hole I frequent. It’s called Headwaters now, and the original owner (Mickey) was big into coin-op. The copy has a mention of Skill Roll
I live on some of the land Mr Green previously owned.

4E3E7A30-62F6-4B73-802B-F0834B24AB22 (resized).jpeg4E3E7A30-62F6-4B73-802B-F0834B24AB22 (resized).jpeg

#669 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Attached is a page from a book on Boulder Jct WI’s history. This is a watering hole I frequent. It’s called Headwaters now, and the original owner (Mickey) was big into coin-op. The copy has a mention of Skill Roll
I live on some of the land Mr Green previously owned.
[quoted image]

It would be the last of my machines to go too.

#670 3 years ago

Alright who snagged it

Screenshot_20201112-091926_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201112-091926_Facebook (resized).jpg
#671 3 years ago

Anyone have any guesses about the pink section at the bottom right of the playfield? And the objects inside the glass at the bottom? The best I can come up with is that it was being operated as a homemade redemption game.

#672 3 years ago

Ok, so finally getting my skill roll working.
When you drop a nickel in. The reels go, but what should the game be doing?

I'm going to clean all the switches and then start troubleshooting. Not sure if the manual states how it should function?

#673 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ok, so finally getting my skill roll working.
When you drop a nickel in. The reels go, but what should the game be doing?
I'm going to clean all the switches and then start troubleshooting. Not sure if the manual states how it should function?

When you drop a nickel, the score and row counter should reset and the bottom solenoid that stops the nickel at the bottom should pull in and then release. That's it.

#674 3 years ago

If you haven't already viewed it, you'll want to watch the gutz multi-part Skill-Roll walk through. It is excellent.

#675 3 years ago

Finally found my skill roll.

91F00129-21CA-44B7-8960-9156B88CB2CC (resized).jpeg91F00129-21CA-44B7-8960-9156B88CB2CC (resized).jpegA2E8F7F2-CB25-4BDC-A43D-CF9CC35AB926 (resized).jpegA2E8F7F2-CB25-4BDC-A43D-CF9CC35AB926 (resized).jpeg
#676 3 years ago

great lineup with the Ringer and the Skill Parade!

#677 3 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Being the new Toy, I'm sure Skill Roll is the answer at this time, but which
do you think you'll like better. Skill Roll or Ringer. I know both, but.

#678 3 years ago
Quoted from BlackCatBone:

And the objects inside the glass at the bottom?

It was at the fun spot arcade, and had been converted to a redemption game. Appears to award small toy balls, note the marquee on the top “ guaranteed winner” and the prize redemption area cut out of the bottom.

So bummed to have missed this one.. ugh.

#679 3 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm grabbing a six-pack of Old Style and I'll be at your house in an hour. It's been years since I've even thought about Ringer. I'd love to spend an evening getting reacquainted . . .

#680 3 years ago

Whats the rule with these transformers. Mine is looking rough.

1. If it works leave it alone?
2. Try to replace it? Limit chance of failure and fire?

20201115_202221 (resized).jpg20201115_202221 (resized).jpg20201115_202225 (resized).jpg20201115_202225 (resized).jpg20201115_202230 (resized).jpg20201115_202230 (resized).jpg
#681 3 years ago
Quoted from Trizel:

2. Try to replace it? Limit chance of failure and fire?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If the game is properly fused, no need to replace it.

#682 3 years ago

What do you mean?
It looks fine to me. Better than ones I’ve seen on other games.

Quoted from Trizel:

2. Try to replace it? Limit chance of failure and fire?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#683 3 years ago
Quoted from Shawn1976:

What do you mean?
It looks fine to me. Better than ones I’ve seen on other games.

Ok thanks this is the only one I have seen the paper flaking on the sides I wasn't sure if that was bad or not.

Thanks for the replies.

#684 3 years ago

I started a original BSR restore thread if anyone is interested like the remake i will update it as progress continues.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll-restore-

#685 3 years ago

Dang another sale 1800$

Skills rolls are changing hands these days.

Screenshot_20201116-174046_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201116-174046_Facebook (resized).jpg
#686 3 years ago
Quoted from Trizel:

Dang another sale 1800$
Skills rolls are changing hands these days.[quoted image]

I had tried to get that from him awhile back and he wasn't ready to let it go. But it was converted to quarters

#687 3 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

I had tried to get that from him awhile back and he wasn't ready to let it go. But it was converted to quarters

I believe that's just swapping out the mech, no?

#688 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I believe that's just swapping out the mech, no?

You have to cut down some of the metal track pieces to accommodate the quarter and widen the slot in the top of the cabinet.

#689 3 years ago

There's one on ebay.

Needs a lot of help, but hey...it's available!

ebay.com link: itm

#690 3 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

There's one on ebay.
Needs a lot of help, but hey...it's available!
ebay.com link

Inside looks good though. Slap some handles on it and you're good to go. Id bid if it wasn't so far away

#691 3 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Inside looks good though. Slap some handles on it and you're good to go. Id bid if it wasn't so far away

It's worth it for the right price, but...

The paint is messed up bad, and will take much more skill than I have to look decent.
I don't know what's up with the marquee. Older replacement, maybe? I don't like it.
The handles are hard to come by, expensive, etc.
No pics of the sides...

Good sized project there.

#692 3 years ago

It's a starting point. Funny in the old days there used to be Skill Roll parts machines. Now that they have gotten so hard to come by it seems like every example is a restoration project no matter how rough.

#693 3 years ago

Are there any options for reproducing the 4 missing coin-flipper handles? Any guesses how much it would cost?

#694 3 years ago
Quoted from BlackCatBone:

Are there any options for reproducing the 4 missing coin-flipper handles? Any guesses how much it would cost?

I've seen a couple of options. One expensive and less than perfect option is here ($500 for all 8 and if you want them to match the original 4 you'll need 8...then yould recoup some mo at selling the originals maybe. These need to be plated also i think.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PVDF4UHNQ/skill-roll-handle?optionId=62748392&li=shops

I think earlier in this thread there may have been a better option mentioned also. Maybe it was only a work in progress...cant recall but I think if you search this thread you'll find something from the last year or so

#695 3 years ago

Gutz had a repro shaft and handle done. I have them on my game. They are raw but if you sand/polish they go chrome/shiny I have only polished 1 super fast and haven’t spent time yet to get them going. Need to get too many house things done. But they are a nice handle for sure

#696 3 years ago

Ah, that's right. Gutz made the repro handles and shafts. If I recall correctly, his handles don't work with the original shafts, so if you care about that for some reason, the other handles I linked would be better.

Some of my thoughts on the ebay machine for anyone thinking about buying it:

If I bought the ebay machine I'd replace with all 8 of the same type handle so they look the same, probably those from Gutz. Then sell the originals.

The plastic bezel is destroyed. The guy does mention it in his listing.
It is missing a big piece on the lower right, and it looks like someone might have put a screw through it between "start" and "10", cracking it, and possibly damaging the playfield.
The guy who repro-ed these said he is out and probably won't be making more, so this may be unobtanium.

It's possible it's the front glass that is broken on the lower right. In either case, the front glass and the plastic bezel really both need replacement because the marquee/front glass looks like an older repro which doesn't look very nice to me.

The scoring is obviously not working, since there is a nickel on the 3rd row and the score is 10. This is expected, though. Need to clean the steppers. I had the same issue, jeffc helped me with mine.

Some of the scoring lever/switches are badly out of adjustment. Again, this is expected. Need to clean the steppers. I had the same issue, jeffc helped me with mine (the last "10" and the 4th "50", for instance).

The paint is the biggest issue. Have to disassemble the machine, strip, and find a way to repaint it. Getting the original look and texture would require great skill I don't have.

I'd love to see someone return this one to it's former glory, but it looks like a pretty big project.

Just my thoughts!

#697 3 years ago

If someone does buy it here and wants to sell those OG handles, I need one

#698 3 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

Ah, that's right. Gutz made the repro handles and shafts. If I recall correctly, his handles don't work with the original shafts, so if you care about that for some reason, the other handles I linked would be better.
Some of my thoughts on the ebay machine for anyone thinking about buying it:
If I bought the ebay machine I'd replace with all 8 of the same type handle so they look the same, probably those from Gutz. Then sell the originals.
The plastic bezel is destroyed. The guy does mention it in his listing.
It is missing a big piece on the lower right, and it looks like someone might have put a screw through it between "start" and "10", cracking it, and possibly damaging the playfield.
The guy who repro-ed these said he is out and probably won't be making more, so this may be unobtanium.
It's possible it's the front glass that is broken on the lower right. In either case, the front glass and the plastic bezel really both need replacement because the marquee/front glass looks like an older repro which doesn't look very nice to me.
The scoring is obviously not working, since there is a nickel on the 3rd row and the score is 10. This is expected, though. Need to clean the steppers. I had the same issue, jeffc helped me with mine.
Some of the scoring lever/switches are badly out of adjustment. Again, this is expected. Need to clean the steppers. I had the same issue, jeffc helped me with mine (the last "10" and the 4th "50", for instance).
The paint is the biggest issue. Have to disassemble the machine, strip, and find a way to repaint it. Getting the original look and texture would require great skill I don't have.
I'd love to see someone return this one to it's former glory, but it looks like a pretty big project.
Just my thoughts!

I just asked the guy, can't believe I forgot his name, about making more bezels and he said he'd want 10 orders to make a run.

Correct, gutz's, handles come with new shafts as there is no screw on the face of the handle. The handle on shapeways keeps the orginal look/attachment.

#699 3 years ago

I have 3D models for the shaft and knobs if anybody wants them. I haven’t learned how to CNC yet but visualizing the tool paths, it would be tricky to make the hole/thread from the bottom, would have to get creative with jigs.

#700 3 years ago

Lol.
It’s Shawn.

Quoted from northvibe:

I just asked the guy, can't believe I forgot his name, about making more bezels and he said he'd want 10 orders to make a run.

There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll/page/14?hl=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.