IMG_5141 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_3896 (resized).jpeg
20240114_103307 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 1,360 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 28.
#601 3 years ago
Quoted from 6t8fbirds:

Hi, I am new to pinside and am needing some help with my Skill Roll machine. It was missing the top header board above front glass and coin box. Could someone give them the length, width, and thickness of the header board? What type of wood should the header board be? Could someone give me the length, width, and height of the coin box as well as some pictures so I can try and duplicate it the best I can. Thank, Rustin

My top wood header and coin box are missing as well. Someone (before me) fabbed a new header and it looks like oak? and the grain doesn't match the rest of the frame. could be maple.

#602 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

My top wood header and coin box are missing as well. Someone (before me) fabbed a new header and it looks like oak? and the grain doesn't match the rest of the frame. could be maple.

26 3/8"W x 2 5/8"H x 1" D
The carriage bolt holes are 7 5/8" in from the ends

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#603 3 years ago
Quoted from 6t8fbirds:

Hi, I am new to pinside and am needing some help with my Skill Roll machine. It was missing the top header board above front glass and coin box. Could someone give them the length, width, and thickness of the header board? What type of wood should the header board be? Could someone give me the length, width, and height of the coin box as well as some pictures so I can try and duplicate it the best I can. Thank, Rustin

I think the wood rails are made of fir or pine, soft woods with a closed grain.

#604 3 years ago

My money is on douglas fir.

#605 3 years ago
Quoted from edward472:My money is on douglas fir.

Really? Sounds like a hallmark movie

Quoted from BlackCatBone:

I think the wood rails are made of fir or pine, soft woods with a closed grain.

Huh, never thought of pine. Has a nice cherry stain. I should take pics of my poor repro that came with

#606 3 years ago

Thank you Edward472 and dudah for the pictures and measurements and everyone else that gave suggestions on the wood. I have enough information I can try and make something that will hopefully look close to original. Not sure coin box is going to look original, but will be made of metal. Thank you again, Rustin

#607 3 years ago

I’ll snap a pic of my top header part tonight.

Last night and this am, I spent installing new bulb sockets. The cheap $50 amazon upholstery nailer worked pretty well. The 2” nose is almost necessary
124DEB80-6C8E-46D8-A182-67070C17C5AB (resized).jpeg124DEB80-6C8E-46D8-A182-67070C17C5AB (resized).jpeg

EDIT:
Is anyone interested in the stock bulb sockets?

#608 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Last night and this am, I spent installing new bulb sockets. The cheap $50 amazon upholstery nailer worked pretty well. The 2” nose is almost necessary
[quoted image]
EDIT:

Never hurts to have extras

#609 3 years ago

I’ll take them if there still available.
EDIT:

#610 3 years ago

Here is my repo header that the owner before me made. Doesn’t match but fits “okay”

12E25139-C767-4F6B-A176-F6B72094B5CC (resized).jpeg12E25139-C767-4F6B-A176-F6B72094B5CC (resized).jpeg7CC27A7F-0764-491B-8A16-0ECB43DAFD25 (resized).jpeg7CC27A7F-0764-491B-8A16-0ECB43DAFD25 (resized).jpegDF0A6E7F-D7E9-44CE-A001-309905FAE780 (resized).jpegDF0A6E7F-D7E9-44CE-A001-309905FAE780 (resized).jpeg
#611 3 years ago

I thought the wood type was red oak. Google images shows some varying colors. I’m going to experiment with different stains and woods for my remake project.

#612 3 years ago

I took a look at mine. The wood is definitely not oak.

Probably pine or fir.

#613 3 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

I took a look at mine. The wood is definitely not oak.
Probably pine or fir.

oh nice. should make it easier/cheaper to replicate/source then.

#614 3 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

Mine looks a little like yours, but it is because the grey paint has chipped away, exposing the brown wood underneath.
Look at yours closely, is it the wood showing through because the paint has chipped away, or stain on top of the grey paint?

You were right, I was wrong. Taking a second look using a jeweler's loupe, the mahogany color is beneath the cabinet's gray base color. I don't believe it is raw wood; I believe it is the same stain Bally applied to the wood rails. If I've got this right, Bally built the cabinet with wood rails, applied mahogany stain to the wood rails, then sprayed the cabinet exterior with the gray base color, splatter paint, and yellow and red designs. The gray paint on my Skill-Roll cabinet never was applied with a clean edge that ended at the wood rails. From other Skill-Roll images I've seen, this wasn't uncommon.

688cd08da8216fbc43e9ba5136e0c314d8e701e7 (resized).jpg688cd08da8216fbc43e9ba5136e0c314d8e701e7 (resized).jpg
#615 3 years ago

Can anyone provide some dimensions/sketches/photos of the coin acceptor on top? I'm looking to model up a reproduction for 3d printing/milling for my remake project. Thanks in advance!

#616 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Can anyone provide some dimensions/sketches/photos of the coin acceptor on top? I'm looking to model up a reproduction for 3d printing/milling for my remake project. Thanks in advance!

I can get you what you need tomorrow. PM with what exactly you need

#617 3 years ago

I scanned the Skill Roll manual and put up the PDF https://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2020/08/bally-skill-roll-manual.html

#618 3 years ago

Awesome. Thank you

#619 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Quoted from edward472:

I can get you what you need tomorrow. PM with what exactly you need

My game is missing the coin acceptor. I was hoping a owner could 3D model or something so we can reproduce. My solution is a Chinese coin acceptor rhat I’ve had to cut and grind a ton on to fit but it isn’t perfect :/ I’d love a better coin acceptor!

1 week later
#620 3 years ago

Anyone here snag this? I was apparently "next up" (from what he said), after someone from Minneapolis was coming to get it. Good grab to whoever got it!

Screenshot_20200810-174855 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200810-174855 (resized).png
#621 3 years ago

I saw it but figured the line had already formed. Sent the link to a buddy up North. Figured he might have a chance. Interesting that it appears to be the 1 cent version and the coin rails are polished?

#622 3 years ago

Weird all the guides being bare metal. The openings don't seem an closer if it's a penny version.

#623 3 years ago

Wow

#624 3 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Weird all the guides being bare metal. The openings don't seem an closer if it's a penny version.

My guess is the penny version only had a different coin mech, the rest was the same.

#625 3 years ago

Wow, how do these keep popping up? And how do people not Google it and see how much one of us nerds would pay for it.

And how do they basically all come from Wisconsin?!
I imagine as it was a skill based game where a free beer was often rewarded, paired with bar culture in Wisconsin - that's that. It's still common for Wisconsin bars to have psuedo gambling games e.g. Shake of the Day.

#626 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Wow, how do these keep popping up? And how do people not Google it and see how much one of us nerds would pay for it.
I imagine as it was a skill based game where a free beer was often rewarded, paired with bar culture in Wisconsin - that's that. It's still common for Wisconsin bars to have psuedo gambling games e.g. Shake of the Day.

Always Wisconsin

#627 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I think they were developed for the Wisconsin and Texas markets - it's in some old Tim Arnold video.

#628 3 years ago

will be interesting to see what the next one to hit ebay goes for now that people are stir-crazy and spending their vacation cash on their gameroom.

#629 3 years ago

What kind of feet or things are on the bottom of the game? I’ll sort of find out soon, I have to remove the glass to re-clean the pf and with a low ceiling I’ll have to tip it on its back. But while it’s laid down I’d like to make sure I have the correct feet/adjust pads

#630 3 years ago

Normal arcade levelers 3/8" - 16 threads. You will want the 2" length, and I can't remember if they need to be cut down to go all the way 'up' in the recessed hole.

#631 3 years ago

And if you need new t nuts, lowes has a nice option that mounts with screws (rather than the pound in teeth type).

#632 3 years ago

gutz has you covered, but here is a pic of mine from below:

7104AF40-F33D-4AA7-87E7-FC4156D8BFD2 (resized).jpeg7104AF40-F33D-4AA7-87E7-FC4156D8BFD2 (resized).jpeg
#633 3 years ago

Yours is pretty clean underneath and it looks to me that you have both of the original back legs.
I had to replace one from each of my games.

#634 3 years ago

Oh awesome guys!! Thanks!

I’ll check those tnuts out and levelers. I’ll probably just need all four

#635 3 years ago

Here are the tnut's that have screw holes
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8-in-Zinc-Plated-Standard-SAE-Brad-Hole-Tee-Nut/3012553

The leg levelers look like pinball ones. I have tile floor and the arcade games are harder to see the feet so maybe use the leg levelers with the nylon on the bottom?

marco
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/LL3NW

2 weeks later
#637 3 years ago

Skill Roll spotted in the wild! I saw this at the Blue Ox in Door Co. WI. Crazy...

20200906_184807.jpg20200906_184807.jpg
#638 3 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

Skill Roll spotted in the wild! I saw this at the Blue Ox in Door Co. WI. Crazy...
[quoted image]

It looks really nice as well (skipping lightly over the cabinet repaint). I looked at the Blue Ox web site. The Skill-Roll is on their main page if you wait long enough for the images to rotate.

#639 3 years ago

Anyone interested in comparing the counts on your (working) Skill-Roll meters? My Skill-Roll is showing 380 on the "High Score" meter and 847 on "8th Row." I believe the high score meter read 337 when I got the game earlier this year, and a lot of the 43 increase since then occurred while I was testing the game and manually incrementing the score stepper. Starting at 350, my game adds one to the high score meter for every 10 points scored, so a perfect 460 score would add 12 to the meter. I'm surprised that the counts on both meters aren't higher. I'm curious to know what other owners see on their meters.

1 week later
#640 3 years ago

It looks like Skill-Roll wasn't held in today's high regard when it was released in March 1958. I found a pair of ads in the September 21, 1959 issue of Billboard from distributors selling Skill-Rolls. One ad lists new game(s) for $65; the other has used games for $60. What was Bally's factory pricing on a new Skill-Roll? I couldn't find a price sheet for Skill-Roll, but Bally sold 1960's Skill-Score for $555, so I'll guess that a new Skill-Roll was around $500. $500 to $60 seems like a lot of depreciation in eighteen months.

Skill-Roll ad in September 21, 1959 Billboard - used games for $60 (resized).pngSkill-Roll ad in September 21, 1959 Billboard - used games for $60 (resized).pngSkill-Roll ad in September 21, 1959 Billboard - new games for $65 (resized).pngSkill-Roll ad in September 21, 1959 Billboard - new games for $65 (resized).pngBally Price List 1960-06-01 Laguna Beach (resized).jpgBally Price List 1960-06-01 Laguna Beach (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#641 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

[quoted image]
EDIT:

Did you or can you tell us what sockets you used and what do you think of the final result?

#642 3 years ago
Quoted from Trizel:

Did you or can you tell us what sockets you used and what do you think of the final result?

I used these sockets. Pretty much a direct replacement. Just had to solder and staple

https://www.pinballlife.com/miniature-bayonet-base-2-lead-socket-with-staple-down-mounting-bracket.html

#645 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

23% Buyers Premium!!!!

That's the only thing I saw. I'm assuming there is also taxes on top of that

#646 3 years ago

I'm guessing $3.5k hammer price

#647 3 years ago

Is it just me or does it look repainted? Mine is much lighter colored but I thought maybe it could just be the pictures. I'm guessing $4,000

#648 3 years ago

Both the wood and the paint look not quite right to me.

#649 3 years ago

ive always heard the bad part of auctions are you don't really know what you are getting. Atleast you can see the main components are there. Wiring has had someone tinkering.

#650 3 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Is it just me or does it look repainted? Mine is much lighter colored but I thought maybe it could just be the pictures. I'm guessing $4,000

It looks like they repainted just the gray and did it free hand making the yellow edges appear very wavy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
Tools
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,360 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.