Topic Stats

• 590 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by tstone
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 183 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC04516 (resized).jpg
bskill2 (resized).jpg
SkillRoll (resized).jpeg
japanese skill roll variant 1 (resized).jpg
japan retro arcade 177 (resized).jpg
Socket (resized).png
615F18B1-630D-4727-BD2A-49A6DC57852D (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200605_213501 (resized).jpg
Back_Card - HUO - Bob Herbison (resized).JPG
DSC04386 (resized).jpg
Bally Skill-Roll serial number.  I took this photo to add an entry to the ipdb.com serial number database. (resized).jpg
077-5000-00_2_300x300 (resized).jpg
94996356_10222684187955031_2292782885544919040_o (resized).jpg
F64FCBA3-2ED0-4942-A90D-E97296C80FFB (resized).jpeg
A86B305C-F4E1-44F0-840B-FCE0D3037998 (resized).jpeg
E1E84132-819A-453E-96B6-E05F7D6A15E4 (resized).jpeg

There are 590 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
#551 34 days ago

I’m still searching for some correct springs. Please let me know if anyone has any to spare or a source for correct replacements. Thanks

#552 34 days ago

. . . and the Star is lit! Nice

#553 33 days ago
Quoted from BlackCatBone:

. . . and the Star is lit! Nice

The star is lit, but there's no nickel at the bottom...

#554 33 days ago
Quoted from tstone:

The star is lit, but there's no nickel at the bottom...

Yeah, I'm working on fixing that.

#555 33 days ago
Quoted from edward472:

Yeah, I'm working on fixing that.

Mine stopped holding the nickel as well when you beat the game. What's the fix? If possible, please post your fix with a few pics.

Thanks!

#556 33 days ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Mine stopped holding the nickel as well when you beat the game. What's the fix? If possible, please post your fix with a few pics.
Thanks!

The problem isn't the lockout plunger. I got to the bottom yesterday and it held my nickel. My issue is the black foam on the lightboard is rotted and missing on that side. The light from the bulbs behind the Skill Roll logo is bleeding down making the star look lit. I'm planning on removing the whole playfield, flipper shafts, etc this week when my new inner plexi is delivered and applying new foam and trying to get those stupid f**king light sockets to light consistently.

#557 33 days ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Thanks!

Please let us know if your new plexi installs easily or if you end up having to adjust hole slots or mounting holes as I've heard from others.

For the issue of the nickel not being held upon beating the game, could anyone provide some guidance on what to look for to fix my issue of the nickel not being held once you beat the game?

#558 33 days ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Please let us know if your new plexi installs easily or if you end up having to adjust hole slots or mounting holes as I've heard from others.
For the issue of the nickel not being held upon beating the game, could anyone provide some guidance on what to look for to fix my issue of the nickel not being held once you beat the game?

Will do. I removed my existing plexi to give the playfield a quick wipe down. It looked great. Then i put the plexi back on and it looks like trash. Nickel trails and dirt are ground into the plexi and its yellow from nicotine. So your plunger isn't coming forward at the start of every game?

#559 33 days ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Thanks!

That plunger at the bottom of the game is spring-biased outward to block the nickel’s exit. When the game is off, it should be biased outward. If it is not, then the plunger/spring is messed up.

If it pulls in at ANY time other than briefly during game reset, then a switch on your coin relay needs attention. This switch with gray-yellow and yellow wires should only close during reset and is responsible for pulling in the plunger against the spring.
615F18B1-630D-4727-BD2A-49A6DC57852D (resized).jpeg

#560 33 days ago
Quoted from edward472:

The problem isn't the lockout plunger. I got to the bottom yesterday and it held my nickel. My issue is the black foam on the lightboard is rotted and missing on that side. The light from the bulbs behind the Skill Roll logo is bleeding down making the star look lit. I'm planning on removing the whole playfield, flipper shafts, etc this week when my new inner plexi is delivered and applying new foam and trying to get those stupid f**king light sockets to light consistently.

I am halfway thru unsoldering the old sockets and replacing them with new. Pinball life. Super tedious!

Don C.

#561 33 days ago
Socket (resized).png
#562 33 days ago

Just did a pinball life order last week

#563 33 days ago
Quoted from edward472:

The problem isn't the lockout plunger. I got to the bottom yesterday and it held my nickel.

my problem is ME. I've never made it to the bottom LOL

#564 33 days ago
Quoted from jeffc:

[quoted image]$5250

OK so Skill Rolls are selling for crazy money, but I wanted to again point out that Japanese versions of these are ALSO selling for crazy money.
In the late 70s/early 80s there was a proliferation of "candy store" 10yen games in Japan.
There's nostalgia for these now, and most seem to sell for the equivalent of $600 - $2000 USD.

The 'skill roll' type coin-flick games though? $4000+
I posted about this earlier, but with another one selling in that same range, it's not just a fluke. There were way more of these made than Skill Rolls, AND they're like 20 years younger.

Just including this as an example:
japan retro arcade 177 (resized).jpg

#565 33 days ago
Quoted from cait001:

OK so Skill Rolls are selling for crazy money, but I wanted to again point out that Japanese versions of these are ALSO selling for crazy money.
[quoted image]

Where did you see these listed? This one is new, but I've seen a couple other comparable models.
Despite their newer displays and sound effects, none seem to compare to the playfield size and complexity of the original.

#566 33 days ago
Quoted from dudah:

Where did you see these listed? This one is new, but I've seen a couple other comparable models.
Despite their newer displays and sound effects, none seem to compare to the playfield size and complexity of the original.

I see them on Yahoo Japan auctions. The Japanese ones are typically more basic than the Skill Rolls as they often just have switches at the end of the routes.
This one is a bit different, as it has a vertical component to it. A plexiglass separates the front and back, so the vertical and horizontal game aspects are juxtaposed.
Sold for 491,000 Yen ($4531 USD) https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l600676115

but the more basic ones like I posted above have sold in that range. For the one I posted, one win hole at the bottom returns your coin, one will release a prize token that can be redeemed for toys/candy. (redemption arcade style: there is a hopper at the bottom, outside of the picture's frame)

One problem with buying these from Japan, you're looking at about $400-$500 in shipping costs plus duty plus the risk etc.

#567 33 days ago

ok I figure I should probably explain what happens here:

You put your coin in and it goes to the bottom-right flipper. Flick it up and it can get in one of three holes, going right to left: (red vertical zone)
1: starts you on the top horizontal track, and you'll be at the left-upper flipper
2: failure, sends you to the green zone on the left
3: starts you on the 2nd horizontol track, you'll be at the right-upper flipper

if you get the the green vertical zone on the left you have a 2nd chance. Holes, right to left:
1: starts you on the top horizontal track, and you'll be at the left-upper flipper
2: failure, game over
3: starts you on the 3rd horizontol track, you'll be at the left-lower flipper

2 of the playfield holes will take you back to the green zone.
There is a microswitch available from the left-lower flipper. that would award you a 20-point prize token.
Then there is a microswitch at the bottom left of the green zone that you hit from the right-lower flipper, and that's the main prize/goal and gives a 50-point prize token.
(you can see there are 20 and 50 token hoppers)

japanese skill roll variant 1 (resized).jpg

#568 32 days ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I finally made it through the 8th row and watched my nickel promptly disappear from the playfield - the coin catcher wasn't working at all. I took apart the assembly that pulls the coin catcher shaft in at the beginning of each game (to release the captured nickel, if any) and cleaned the shaft and coil sleeve with alcohol. That was enough to make the catcher work. The problem, engineering-wise, is the weak spring that is seated inside the partially hollow coin catcher shaft. The spring reminds me of those you'd find on old ball-point pens that you'd click to release the writing tip back inside the pen. Even though my coin catcher assembly seemed fairly clean to start with, getting it spotless made everything work properly. The coin catcher shaft should be "out" at all times other than at the start of a new game, when it pulls in briefly to release a captured nickel. The spring provides the force to cause the shaft jump out into the capture position again.

#569 32 days ago

Can someone tell me the size of the locking nuts that hold the 8 coin kicker striker "arms" on the back side of the playfield? I think I'm going to need a replacement.

#570 32 days ago
Quoted from Don_C:

I am halfway thru unsoldering the old sockets and replacing them with new. Pinball life. Super tedious!
Don C.

are you using an upholstery stapler to attach?

#571 29 days ago

There is a pair of Skill-Roll games shown in the background of this eBay Texas listing for a Williams mannequin bowler:

ebay.com link

#572 29 days ago

One looks cut down?

#573 29 days ago
Quoted from AlexF:

One looks cut down?

Yeah. Left on is missing a few inches.

#574 28 days ago

Got my Skill Roll back yesterday. Owned this one since 2006. Sold it to a friend last Summer and he was kind enough to sell it back to me.

SkillRoll (resized).jpeg
#575 28 days ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Got my Skill Roll back yesterday. Owned this one since 2006. Sold it to a friend last Summer and he was kind enough to sell it back to me.
[quoted image]

Bet you won't be selling it again!

#576 24 days ago

Yeah baby. Kudos to both.

#577 24 days ago

I have an odd question: is the game cheatable? I mean, the maximum score is 460 points. But what happens if you drop a coin, shoot it to the other side and instead of continuing your game, you drop a new coin? I assume the game resets, but can you then score point by shooting both coins that are on the playfield, or is only the row were the coin is to be shot enabled to score points? In case both coins can score points, you might be able to roll the game.

#578 24 days ago

It's smart enough to only let you score one slot per row at a time. Kids try this cheat all the time but it doesn't work.

#579 23 days ago

However someone mentioned using two nickels to make one or a couple of the lower shots easier.

Edit: since two nickels would be on a shot, it wouldn’t send as much force to the 2nd nickel thus allowing the higher point shot to be made with as much skill.

#580 23 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

are you using an upholstery stapler to attach?

That would be best, but no got. I'll kludge something up when I get to reassembly.

Don C

#581 22 days ago
Quoted from Don_C:

That would be best, but no got. I'll kludge something up when I get to reassembly.
Don C

If you remove the board you’ll be able to get to them, but you’ll be tied up near the game. One thought of mine was to cut the harness and make it a plug able via molex connectors. Or buy a furniture staple gun and just be able to reach....

#582 22 days ago

Quick question, is the kick plate at the bottom originally black or the same color as the cabinet? I've seen both. I'm stripping off the custom paint job someone did to my cabinet to get to the original paint and I don't want to strip off the black paint if it's original.

#583 21 days ago
Quoted from edward472:

Quick question, is the kick plate at the bottom originally black or the same color as the cabinet? I've seen both. I'm stripping off the custom paint job someone did to my cabinet to get to the original paint and I don't want to strip off the black paint if it's original.

The "kick plate" (or foot, as you might call it) was originally the same gray color as the cabinet. Kick plates that are black have been colored that way to cover paint loss, but, originally, they would have been the cabinet color. That's what I think.

#584 21 days ago

The "kick plate" (or foot, as you might call it) was originally the same gray color as the cabinet. Kick plates that are black have been colored that way to cover paint loss, but, originally, they would have been the cabinet color. That's what I think.

I'm leaning towards it originally being a black bottom as the flyer for the related game Skill Parade shows black. Not conclusive however. There is a Bob Herbison in Florida who allegedly owns a HUO Skill Roll, but I don't have his contact info to ask him.

bskill2 (resized).jpg
#585 21 days ago

I should have mentioned that my Skill-Roll with original cabinet paint has a gray kick plate.

#586 21 days ago

Does anyone who owns a Skill-Roll with original cabinet paint see anything like the wood stain I have on my cabinet? I assumed when I got the game that an operator had done a touch-up job on the wood trim and had slopped some of the stain on the cabinet paint. That was before I removed the 3 metal rails that hold the playfield glass in place. I found what appears to be the same dark stain under the metal rails, so now I wonder if the stain was applied at the Bally factory. Can you shed any light on this? And is your wood trim this mahogany color or a lighter color?

DSC04516 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#587 13 days ago

If anyone is selling or has lead on one for sale please pm me.

#588 13 days ago
Quoted from Trizel:

If anyone is selling or has lead on one for sale please pm me.

yeah me too, wish I had a trailer load of these.........LOL.

John

#589 12 days ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

yeah me too, wish I had a trailer load of these.........LOL.
John

You might try contacting this eBay seller. It looks like he runs a commercial operation, and he has a photo of two Skill-Rolls in the background of another game (now sold) he had listed.

ebay.com link » Ten Pins Mannequin Bowling Game By Williams 1957 Beautiful Condition

#590 11 days ago

Does anyone who owns a Skill-Roll with original cabinet paint see anything like the wood stain I have on my cabinet? I assumed when I got the game that an operator had done a touch-up job on the wood trim and had slopped some of the stain on the cabinet paint. That was before I removed the 3 metal rails that hold the playfield glass in place. I found what appears to be the same dark stain under the metal rails, so now I wonder if the stain was applied at the Bally factory. Can you shed any light on this? And is your wood trim this mahogany color or a lighter color?
[quoted image]

Mine looks a little like yours, but it is because the grey paint has chipped away, exposing the brown wood underneath.

Look at yours closely, is it the wood showing through because the paint has chipped away, or stain on top of the grey paint?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kansas City, MO
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
RPGCor
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame
$ 299.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 14.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Judge Dredd plastic Out of stock
Pinball Haus
$ 265.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 590 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside