IMG_5141 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_3896 (resized).jpeg
20240114_103307 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 28.
#501 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Does anyone know, is the red glass prototype, early runs or late run?

tullster has a Skill-Roll with the red backglass and asked basically the same question several months back. It is post #314, but I don't know how to link to it. The seller of the $5,250 Skill-Roll sent me several photos of his game before the auction ended. It looks to me like the serial number is A1908 or A1902. Maybe comparing @tullster's serial number and those of other owners would answer your question. I'm awfully curious, too.
$5,250 eBay Skill-Roll (resized).jpg$5,250 eBay Skill-Roll (resized).jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 7.09.41 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-29 at 7.09.41 PM (resized).png
#502 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

After seeing that, mine is officially for sale.

71864891414c9e78bc4c6f7cc4faa269 (resized).jpg71864891414c9e78bc4c6f7cc4faa269 (resized).jpg
#503 3 years ago
Quoted from BlackCatBone:

tullster has a Skill-Roll with the red backglass and asked basically the same question several months back. It is post #314, but I don't know how to link to it. The seller of the $5,250 Skill-Roll sent me several photos of his game before the auction ended. It looks to me like the serial number is A1908 or A1902. Maybe comparing tullster's serial number and those of other owners would answer your question. I'm awfully curious, too.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I now think the serial number is BA1902 or BA1908. Consulting the ipdb serial number database, it looks like the game falls in the later half of production, but there were several hundred Skill-Rolls produced after this game, assuming consecutive serial numbers. Maybe the red glass is an early (and weak) reproduction, considering @tullsters knowledge that his red glass is at least 25 years old.

http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=3232

#504 3 years ago

I now think the serial number is BA1902 or BA1908. Consulting the ipdb serial number database, it looks like the game falls in the later half of production, but there were several hundred Skill-Rolls produced after this game, assuming consecutive serial numbers. Maybe the red glass is an early (and weak) reproduction, considering @tullsters knowledge that his red glass is at least 25 years old.
http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=3232

Cool list, I didn't know it existed.

I added mine (2408), seems to be the largest at the moment.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the "BA" numbers and those without "BA"?

#505 3 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

Cool list, I didn't know it existed.
I added mine (2408), seems to be the largest at the moment.
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the "BA" numbers and those without "BA"?

I'm guessing some people only submitted numbers and omitted their BA. To my knowledge, they started at 1000 and went to 2500 (if the production run of 1500 is correct).

Edit: Looking at the photos - some dont start with BA - interesting!

#506 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Edit: Looking at the photos - some dont start with BA - interesting!

From the bingo and one-ball world: Bally would change serial prefix characters if there was some drastic (electrical) change in production. I'm not sure what might have changed, but that is probably an interesting question if serials don't all start with the same prefix.

#507 3 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

From the bingo and one-ball world: Bally would change serial prefix characters if there was some drastic (electrical) change in production. I'm not sure what might have changed, but that is probably an interesting question if serials don't all start with the same prefix.

Yeah, that's the question I'm asking...mine does not start with BA and I know others do...

Mine has a late serial number...I wonder if there is a difference?

#508 3 years ago

Mine's #BA2185 with the red glass. It's original from the factory, or a reproduction that's at least 25 years old.

IMG_1558 (resized).jpgIMG_1558 (resized).jpg
#509 3 years ago
Quoted from tstone:

Yeah, that's the question I'm asking...mine does not start with BA and I know others do...
Mine has a late serial number...I wonder if there is a difference?

The BA and non-BA seem interleaved...not like one came and then the other due to some change.

Maybe just a different guy stamping the cabinets?

#510 3 years ago

Tried the switch in the coin door while the game was active and not active. It did nothing in either state. It's bundled into the main wiring harness on the back, so not sure exactly where it goes. Given it does nothing and it's not original -- I'll probably just leave it. The game is fine and works correctly otherwise, so why mess with it.

#511 3 years ago

Just finished getting mine that I picked up over the weekend working 100%. My 4 year old loves it, but needs work on his finesse. Also for the earlier discussion of serial numbers, this is BA1650.
15882865885345002387704435827054 (resized).jpg15882865885345002387704435827054 (resized).jpg

#512 3 years ago

No BA here... just 2400.

#513 3 years ago

BA 2333

#514 3 years ago

Mine is- BA 1930

#515 3 years ago

BA 1484 on mine.

Cab isn't original paint though, and that first 4 is hard to read. I think it's 4.

#516 3 years ago

I think it'd be nice if we all put our serial #s in the page linked above in post #503, it was pretty easy.

#517 3 years ago

I have two sets of fluorescent tombstones that fit perfect into the skill roll. Just have to cut and splice the new wires in.

Anyone interested in them? Thinking $15 shipped in the US. Shipping and packaging is killing the price :/ I’ll do usps padded envelope default. Otherwise I can do a small box and fedex if requested depending on cost.

47C08ECC-D1A4-4FC0-BC51-48196ECE476E (resized).jpeg47C08ECC-D1A4-4FC0-BC51-48196ECE476E (resized).jpeg57CDFE98-D56B-4367-9D44-6F9003175B87 (resized).jpeg57CDFE98-D56B-4367-9D44-6F9003175B87 (resized).jpegA86B305C-F4E1-44F0-840B-FCE0D3037998 (resized).jpegA86B305C-F4E1-44F0-840B-FCE0D3037998 (resized).jpegE1E84132-819A-453E-96B6-E05F7D6A15E4 (resized).jpegE1E84132-819A-453E-96B6-E05F7D6A15E4 (resized).jpegF64FCBA3-2ED0-4942-A90D-E97296C80FFB (resized).jpegF64FCBA3-2ED0-4942-A90D-E97296C80FFB (resized).jpeg
#518 3 years ago

Anyone here scoop this one up?

94996356_10222684187955031_2292782885544919040_o (resized).jpg94996356_10222684187955031_2292782885544919040_o (resized).jpg
#519 3 years ago

has anyone replaced the light bulb sockets on their skill roll? Mine obviously are old and pretty lose but so deep it is kind of a pita to get the bulbs in and out.

EDIT:
this was my thought to a replacement socket
https://www.pinballlife.com/miniature-bayonet-base-2-lead-socket-with-staple-down-mounting-bracket.html

077-5000-00_2_300x300 (resized).jpg077-5000-00_2_300x300 (resized).jpg
#520 3 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Anyone here scoop this one up?
[quoted image]

Yeah, I picked that one up. All cleaned up and working.

#521 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have two sets of fluorescent tombstones that fit perfect into the skill roll. Just have to cut and splice the new wires in.
Anyone interested in them? Thinking $15 shipped in the US. Shipping and packaging is killing the price :/ I’ll do usps padded envelope default. Otherwise I can do a small box and fedex if requested depending on cost.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Both sets sold

#522 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

has anyone replaced the light bulb sockets on their skill roll? Mine obviously are old and pretty lose but so deep it is kind of a pita to get the bulbs in and out.
EDIT:
this was my thought to a replacement socket
https://www.pinballlife.com/miniature-bayonet-base-2-lead-socket-with-staple-down-mounting-bracket.html
[quoted image]

Yes, I think I even used the socket you linked. The original sockets were really crap. It was a PITA but you only have to do it once.

#523 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yes, I think I even used the socket you linked. The original sockets were really crap. It was a PITA but you only have to do it once.

ugh these originals are CRAP. I was hoping the light board could be removed for easy replacement.... I thought wrong
Almost thinking putting a molex plug/connector on that harness so you can cut it, remove, replace sockets, then add the connector would be pretty helpful even though it may never need to be done again.

It is that, or clean out each socket, bend them so they are more snug and hope they work....

#524 3 years ago
Quoted from PBEarwood:

Yeah, I picked that one up. All cleaned up and working.

Sweet. Looks like a great condition game. Will you be posting some photos?

#525 3 years ago

I'm BA2124

#526 3 years ago

Sweet. Looks like a great condition game. Will you be posting some photos?

Check posts 473 and 511.

#527 3 years ago

Can someone suggest a replacement fuse holder for Skill-Roll?

#528 3 years ago

Can someone suggest a replacement fuse holder for Skill-Roll?

If it is the fuse holder(s)/block that is near the transformer and what I'm thinking. it is just 4 of these.

#529 3 years ago

Frank from American Pickers buys one for $750

#530 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Did you see the entire episode? I road in that 1911 (I believe is the year) car.
It's near by. I've been over to John's many times..

#531 3 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Did you see the entire episode? I road in that 1911 (I believe is the year) car.
It's near by. I've been over to John's many times..

I did not see the full episode, but that is super cool

#532 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I hate when the negotiations are like this, but in the later seasons almost everyone they "pick" is just someone that wants to show off their collection for the cameras and doesn't want to sell, and they force some negotiation on the "seller" for the sake of the camera.
So many of the negotiations are obviously with people that don't want to sell, or at least not at that price, but were pressured into because the cameras were rolling. But in all fairness, they did agree to be on a "reality TV" show to display their collection, so I guess that's the price.

#533 3 years ago

I looked at mine, but it has no number.

#534 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

If it is the fuse holder(s)/block that is near the transformer and what I'm thinking. it is just 4 of these.

I don't think I understood what you were telling me. It looks like the holder for the game's 4 fuses needs to be replaced. (My Skill-Roll works, but one of the 4 fuses in my game is missing because an operator used a jumper wire to connect the 50 and 90-1 fuse holders on the circuit that feeds the fluorescent tube.) I was wondering if someone who has replaced the fuse block (the holder for the 4 fuses) in their Skill-Roll could tell me which product they used. I've never had to replace a fuse holder before. Thanks.

#535 3 years ago

I don't think I understood what you were telling me. It looks like the holder for the game's 4 fuses needs to be replaced. (My Skill-Roll works, but one of the 4 fuses in my game is missing because an operator used a jumper wire to connect the 50 and 90-1 fuse holders on the circuit that feeds the fluorescent tube.) I was wondering if someone who has replaced the fuse block (the holder for the 4 fuses) in their Skill-Roll could tell me which product they used. I've never had to replace a fuse holder before. Thanks.

What you describe is exactly what mine is. And the product I meant to post but looks like I didn’t paste the link

https://www.pinballlife.com/fuse-holderblock-for-1-14-fuses.html

You need 4 of those which will replace your fuse block. As for the fuses, I’d have to look at the schematic

#536 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What you describe is exactly what mine is. And the product I meant to post but looks like I didn’t paste the link
https://www.pinballlife.com/fuse-holderblock-for-1-14-fuses.html
You need 4 of those which will replace your fuse block. As for the fuses, I’d have to look at the schematic

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Help-85666-Fusible-Fusible-recuadro/dp/B000CO7HZU

is a 4 position one or the PBL will work too just bumper them up together when you screw them in.

#537 3 years ago

Thanks for the help, guys.

#538 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Spiral nails, like what hold on side rails on ss and alphanumeric pinball machines.[quoted image]

Hey @gutz, what technique did you use to remove the spiral nails in post #205 from 8 months back? You had a photo of the nails and plates. Those nails are murder to get out on Bally's bingo games, and I've only ever been able to salvage a plate or its nails, but never both. I'd like to remove all the hardware on the wood rails of my Skill-Roll and could use some tips. Thanks.

#539 3 years ago

Hey gutz, what technique did you use to remove the spiral nails in post #205 from 8 months back? You had a photo of the nails and plates. Those nails are murder to get out on Bally's bingo games, and I've only ever been able to salvage a plate or its nails, but never both. I'd like to remove all the hardware on the wood rails of my Skill-Roll and could use some tips. Thanks.

I tore that machine completely apart and refinished the wood, so your approach might differ if you are not going to that level of effort.

Remove the handles/shafts out the front of the machine and remove the playfield out the back of the machine. Take a socket with an outer diameter the same size as the handle through holes, from the inside of the machine tap the socket with a hammer to loosen the washers. With just enough of the spiral head exposed, I used a staple puller hand tool to pry up the spiral nails. Do the bottom one first then the top, so the washer doesn't spin down and scratch the wood. I also had a thin scrap of plexi to pry against so the wood or metal wasn't damaged.

The 5 cent plate is much trickier and might damage the wood (I wasn't too concerned since I was already refinishing the wood). I used a thin putty knife and worked the edges of the plate up from the wood, using the plate to pull up the spiral nails. With just enough of the spiral head exposed, use the staple puller to pry up the nails. I used the plexi scrap again to not cause further damage to wood or metal.

#540 3 years ago

That's very helpful. Thank you.

Quoted from gutz:

I tore that machine completely apart and refinished the wood, so your approach might differ if you are not going to that level of effort.
Remove the handles/shafts out the front of the machine and remove the playfield out the back of the machine. Take a socket with an outer diameter the same size as the handle through holes, from the inside of the machine tap the socket with a hammer to loosen the washers. With just enough of the spiral head exposed, I used a staple puller hand tool to pry up the spiral nails. Do the bottom one first then the top, so the washer doesn't spin down and scratch the wood. I also had a thin scrap of plexi to pry against so the wood or metal wasn't damaged.
The 5 cent plate is much trickier and might damage the wood (I wasn't too concerned since I was already refinishing the wood). I used a thin putty knife and worked the edges of the plate up from the wood, using the plate to pull up the spiral nails. With just enough of the spiral head exposed, use the staple puller to pry up the nails. I used the plexi scrap again to not cause further damage to wood or metal.

#541 3 years ago

My Skill-Roll serial number is BA 1914. I've also entered it in the serial number database:

http://www.ipsnd.net/view.aspx?id=3232

Bally Skill-Roll serial number.  I took this photo to add an entry to the ipdb.com serial number database. (resized).jpgBally Skill-Roll serial number. I took this photo to add an entry to the ipdb.com serial number database. (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#542 3 years ago

If you've got this paper tag on the back of your Skill-Roll, just below the rear door, could you post a photo or description of the text? Thanks.

DSC04386 (resized).jpgDSC04386 (resized).jpg
#543 3 years ago

If you've got this paper tag on the back of your Skill-Roll, just below the rear door, could you post a photo or description of the text? Thanks.
[quoted image]

Back_Card - HUO - Bob Herbison (resized).JPGBack_Card - HUO - Bob Herbison (resized).JPG
#544 3 years ago

Here is a link to a printable lable for the back-
https://www.ipdb.org/files/3232/Bally_1956_Skill_Roll_Reproduction_Instruction_Cards.pdf

P.S.- IPDB has a few different ones you can print off

#545 3 years ago

Thanks for the help!

#546 3 years ago

My skill roll finally got delivered! It missing the florescent bulb starter. Ive replaced ballasts but not starters. Would one of you be kind enough to drop a link to the one I need? Also, I know repros have been made but if anyone has 1 handle laying around, PM me. The replacement I have works but I'd like to have an original. Thanks in advance

#547 3 years ago

Heres my reply copied from a different forum: Its a 13 watt t5 bulb (5/8" diameter). The length is 21". Replacements are available at walmart, bring your old one along and match it up. The starter needs to be an fs-4, I find those locally at Lowes.

#548 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Heres my reply copied from a different forum: Its a 13 watt t5 bulb (5/8" diameter). The length is 21". Replacements are available at walmart, bring your old one along and match it up. The starter needs to be an fs-4, I find those locally at Lowes.

Thank you sir. Hope there isn't too much difference in bulbs. Mines MIA

#549 3 years ago

Just to say the same thing gutz did. I recently had to replace the tombstones and bulb, starter etc.. here is the copy/paste from my notes
Florescent bulb:
T5 21" - I purchased mine at mendards
starter FS-4 - at menards and HD

#550 3 years ago

Got it. Thanks guys!

IMG_20200605_213501 (resized).jpgIMG_20200605_213501 (resized).jpg
There are 1,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll/page/11?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.