(Topic ID: 111547)

Bally Skill Roll handle functional alternatives?

By DirtFlipper

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2968.JPG
IMG_2969.JPG
IMG_2967.JPG
IMG_2963.JPG
lever.jpg
IMG_1637.JPG
#1 9 years ago

So I picked up another Skill Roll on the cheap recently for parts (to use in restoring another Skill Roll I have). It's missing most of the handles, but had the other parts I needed (which are mainly cosmetic anyway).

But after looking at it a bit, even after I scavenge the parts I need off it I suspect I could get the game running and at least be playable (not the prettiest example, but function well enough). I'll have some 'hand me down' parts from the other Skill Rolls to use on it that would be decent enough(backglass in particular).

I don't want to bother trying to find handles though - those are unobtanium. So now I'm thinking of just trying to locate some substitutes that would work OK, even though not original/correct. Originality is not the goal on this one, but good functionality would be.

That's a long intro to ask whether anyone's found anything that works as a lever/handle, even though not the correct ones? I'd even consider plastic, although I'm not sure how well it would hold up. I was looking at plumbing supplies a bit (faucet handles and such), and might find something that route, but thought I'd ask. I'd rather put this game back to operation than fully part it out.

#2 9 years ago

I was thinking of faucet handles too. I would go to ACE or some plumbing supply store and find something. Got any pictures of the Skill Roll? That one is defiantly on my list!

#3 9 years ago

I currently have three, with this last one being the fourth one I've picked up this year. It isn't pretty.

But I think I might be able to make it at least function, even after I steal parts from it for one of the others.

IMG_1637.JPGIMG_1637.JPG

#4 9 years ago

I have a model drawn of the handles and have had them 3d printed and painted. They would probably work but who knows how nice they would look. Was originally going to have some cast, but that seems to be too expensive.

#5 9 years ago

I'm not really after appearance on this one so much (within reason), as just something functional.

I thought about the 3D printing route, but I just wasn't sure how well they'd hold up. Have you tried them?

#6 9 years ago

I have no experience with this but would someone be able to make these on a 3D printer? Would the plastic be durable to use and stand up to wear? Just thinking out load (or typing out loud)!

and DF stop showing off that you got another Skill Roll!!!

#7 9 years ago

I have a buddy that has a 3D printer and I could see what he thinks. I've had the plastic in my hands and it seems pretty solid. I could ask him, but you would probably have to send me the handle.

#8 9 years ago

Wow 4 skill rolls. Some guys can't seem to find one. Game is awesome.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

I have a buddy that has a 3D printer and I could see what he thinks. I've had the plastic in my hands and it seems pretty solid. I could ask him, but you would probably have to send me the handle.

Thanks. I'm currently exploring that alternative with bdaily1983.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Wow 4 skill rolls. Some guys can't seem to find one. Game is awesome.

They seem to grow next door in Wisconsin.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Thanks. I'm currently exploring that alternative with bdaily1983.

Brilliant idea DF..... let us know how it turns out!!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

They seem to grow next door in Wisconsin.

We've got a lot of bars. Makes you wonder how many are still on location here.

#13 9 years ago

I'd be interested in eight handles if they looked and feeled like the originals.

Thanks
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
369-979-3836

#14 9 years ago

There would definitely be a market if someone reproduced nice chrome metal handles. Mine are fine but perfect chrome ones would be tempting.

#15 9 years ago

What about flipper bats for handles? Could match the theme of a room filled with pins.

Here's a decent pic I found of a handle.

lever.jpglever.jpg

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

We've got a lot of bars. Makes you wonder how many are still on location here.

I know of at least one still on location in a bar in Madison, and have heard mention of another in Lacrosse (unconfirmed though). The first one I bought came out of SD, and had been in use until the late 90's. The story was that it was still bringing in $150/month. On nickels!

#17 9 years ago

It has a splined shaft, so I'm thinking window crank, maybe something from Pella or Anderson?

http://www.swisco.com/Copper-White-T-Crank-Casement-Window-Operator-Handle-Pella/pd/Replacement-Window-Operator-Accessories/39-227B

It wouldn't that goofy if you replaced them all, and they're only $3 each. Anderson and Pella are different sizes, and maybe there's even something in chrome?

#18 9 years ago

FYI, here's a pic of the split shaft on the stem and the pair of mating ridges inside the handle:

IMG_2963.JPGIMG_2963.JPG
IMG_2967.JPGIMG_2967.JPG

#19 9 years ago

While I've got the handle experts' attention, I found this in a stash of an operator's pins/jukes/slots parts. Does this handle belong to a game of some sort?? Looks a bit odd/new for an arcade handle but who knows?

OK, back to the skill roll...

IMG_2968.JPGIMG_2968.JPG
IMG_2969.JPGIMG_2969.JPG

1 month later
#20 9 years ago

How about these? Price is right and they look nice. Obviously they would require some modification. But then I think anything outside an original might…

http://www.esnarf.com/6373k.htm

I bought parts for my Kicker Catcher from this guy and he is very pleasant to deal with.

Edit: May be too long?

#21 9 years ago

Looks interesting. The Skill Roll handles are 2" long, so these would stick out past the edge of the cabinet. That would change the 'feel' of the play, but I suppose could operate. I wonder what's on the back side of them? By 'undrilled', does that mean there's just a solid core on the round end? That would be a challenge to make fit potentially.

#22 9 years ago

Yeah, I hear you. I just thought they at least look fairly appropriate.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I know of at least one still on location in a bar in Madison, and have heard mention of another in Lacrosse (unconfirmed though). The first one I bought came out of SD, and had been in use until the late 90's. The story was that it was still bringing in $150/month. On nickels!

One on location in downtown Sturgeon Bay, WI. Called the Op, he wanted about $1500 for one he had in his warehouse. Later found one for $600 at a retired operator's place near Tomahawk. Took slightly over 1 year to pry it out of his hands.

I found this interesting: A nickle in 1958 is the equivalent of about $.41 today. So every play back in the day was risking almost half a buck, or the common price of a game of pinball at the bar today.

Don C.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Don_C:

One on location in downtown Sturgeon Bay, WI. Called the Op, he wanted about $1500 for one he had in his warehouse. Later found one for $600 at a retired operator's place near Tomahawk. Took slightly over 1 year to pry it out of his hands.
I found this interesting: A nickle in 1958 is the equivalent of about $.41 today. So every play back in the day was risking almost half a buck, or the common price of a game of pinball at the bar today.
Don C.

A game of pinball was often still a nickel too in 1958 (with some moving up to a dime).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll-handle-functional-alternatives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.