(Topic ID: 249083)

Bally Skill Derby

By popperette

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5030 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5029 - Copy (resized).jpg
    IMG_5028 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5022 (resized).PNG
    IMG_5026 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5025 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5024 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5033 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5032 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5031 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bingopodcast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

I do not own a skill derby, but have worked on lots of bingos. Those are the same leather clutch washers used in the bingos. Bally had at least two different diameter motor shafts, and separate clutches for each. NOS clutches appear on ebay pretty frequently.

It is important to note which side is the slick and which is the rough side when disassembling/reassembling. The rough side is usually the side that engages the thing that should be turning. Clutch washers should be soaked in neatsfoot compound. I will take a set of washers, and if they are not misshapen or damaged, will clean them with alcohol, rinse them quickly, then soak them in neatsfoot compound for about 20 mins. Once they are soaked, I take them and pat dry on a paper towel. They should be lightly greasy but not dripping.

I know this doesn't answer all of your questions, but new clutch washers make a lot of difference in a mechanism like this. Hope this helps a bit. You will have all kinds of mechanical problems if the leather washer is worn (with smooth rotation, especially).

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from popperette:

I was going to try the unit but since two of the five steppers have gaps between them, I figured those horses wouldn’t move. I would guess that the tension spring should press all the steppers together evenly. Correct?

I have never worked on one of the games with the horse units, and without a photo of what you mean I'm not sure I follow. I'm sorry.

Quoted from popperette:

If the clutch washer is smooth, should you roughen it up?

If it has been worn smooth, you can try roughing it up (I'm not sure that would work) or just replace them.

Sorry I'm not more help, hopefully someone chimes in with experience with this mech. @steveintexas?

Quoted from popperette:

Probably was your post from the bingo site.

That was probably the amazing baldtwit 's site.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bingopodcast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-derby-1?tu=bingopodcast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.