• Latest reply 1 year ago by FatPanda
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20230129_152212 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ACDNate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Starting to work on a very dirty Bally Skateball.

Initial tests show most everything is working but i do have a couple issues to address before digging into the clean up.

Sound is a bit wonky. Watching a YouTube video of play, this game doesn't have full audio. Only sounds I'm getting is a ticking sort of sound when scored register. Tried adjusting volume on the board and nothing changed including the volume of the ticking.

Another oddity I noticed when testing all the scoring switches is that the 7th (million) digit doesn't light on any of the score displays. Ok well it doesn't light in p1 and p2, I didn't try all 4. Any ideas?

One other issue is the upper left flipper doesn't work. Looking at the flipper buttons I noticed a different switch on the right than on the left. Taking a look at the flipper coil I found a white substance all around the coil. Any ideas what that's about?

20230129_152212 (resized).jpg20230129_152212 (resized).jpg
#4 1 year ago
Quoted from jgreene:

Kinda looks like polish of some type got flung around. Is it near lamp holes where it could have leaked from the playfield down below to the mechs?
May also be some kind of grease applied to the flipper coil. Looks a little like the dry wax silicone lube sprays.

You know it did wipe off rather easily but I don't see any place it easy could have came through. Also it's been many decades since this game was waxed

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinash:

For the sound, check the manual (available on ipdb if you don’t have it already). Many early Bally’s had an adjustment on the MPU (changed by the small dip switches) which determines how many sounds the machine outputs. The minimal setting is basically only sounds when switches are hit/scored.

I'll take a peek at the manual. There are a metric crap ton of dip switches available

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

not dips, self test positions[quoted image]

"Pulse replay button" is that referring to the start button on the coin door?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Is there a volume pot on the inside of the coin door in this year? Maybe it was the inside of the cabinet? I can't recall off top. If there is, twist the pot back and forth a buncha times. They like to stick, and therefore, impact the volume. If not, nevermind!
For the upper flipper problem, check the flipper switches on the left side (flipper button), run a business card in between the contacts, and check the EOS switches are making good contact. Run a business card in-between those too.
First things first though. Pull all of the boards and inspect and reflow solder on all of the header pins. This will resolve 99% of weird problems caused by cold solder joints.

No sir. The volume pot is in the soundboard in the back box. I may however give it a few twists back and forth. The small adjustments i did make only resulted in some minor static/feedback but no actual change in volume.

I did use a contact burnisher on the EOS switch and on the flipper switch. That being said the main left flipper responds strong and holds well.

I'm picking up an air solder station for just that purpose. I've never had one but i feel like I should have better control and get a more effective reflow than with a conventional iron.

#13 1 year ago

Got back to the Skateball today and took a closer look at a couple things.

The sound setting was set to minimal sound. Adjusted it to max sound. No change.

Looking at the board it appears to have been replaced at some point in time as the pcb is significantly darker green than the remaining boards. Didn't have time to pull the board yet but there are no obviously burnt components and the caps all look good.

So do I suspect the chips on the board or should I be testing individual components on the board?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ACDNate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skateball-?tu=ACDNate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.